Clarify Future Cruise Credit Use

denmarks

I know that a future cruise credit is $100 and counts as the deposit and there is also an on board credit based on cruise length and room.

Since I am single, a single FCC was fine even though I paid double for the room.

Does a couple need 2 FCCs to cover both? What would happen if you only had one?

Yes, it happened to us once when we booked two short cruises back to back. I had my FCD applied to the first cruise and DH's to the second one. We were after the final payment date, so we had to pay the full amount due after taking our FCDs into consideration. We now try to keep at least three FCDs on hand each just in case we find a last-minute deal like this again.

• Like 2

We like to keep at least 3 FCD for each of us.  When we book a cruise we use our individual FCDs for the reservation fee and are happy to collect the OBC.   Usually each cruise we have to buy more to put into the FCD bank.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We like to keep at least 3 FCD for each of us.  When we book a cruise we use our individual FCDs for the reservation fee and are happy to collect the OBC.   Usually each cruise we have to buy more to put into the FCD bank.

Once, I ran out ... nightmare!  hahaha

Now, I always try to keep plenty on hand.  They do refund you if they haven't been used within a certain time period ... I think it is 2 years now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

And ... just in case this wasn't explained, when traveling solo, one person can only use one FCD on a single booking.  If you are traveling in a pair, each of you can only use one of their own FCD's.  

In my experience, I have been able to apply 2 FCDs per person as cruise deposit ... BUT Princess treated our 2nd FCD each only as additional deposit monies ... we each were granted only 1 OBC ... it was all good, as we understood this policy when we applied the FCDs ... I think 2 per person per booking is the max FCDs permitted by Princess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

In my experience, I have been able to apply 2 FCDs per person as cruise deposit ... BUT Princess treated our 2nd FCD each only as additional deposit monies ... we each were granted only 1 OBC ... it was all good, as we understood this policy when we applied the FCDs ... I think 2 per person per booking is the max FCDs permitted by Princess.

oh, that might be the case ... I should clarify that you can only use one pp to get the benefits of using it for obc.  Because I use them up so quickly, or so it seems, I would never apply a second one just for the sake of a deposit ... but, I can see how some might have a reason to do this.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

oh, that might be the case ... I should clarify that you can only use one pp to get the benefits of using it for obc.  Because I use them up so quickly, or so it seems, I would never apply a second one just for the sake of a deposit ... but, I can see how some might have a reason to do this.  

No worries.

I think our second was near expiry, and it was easier to use it rather than get a credit

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Once, I ran out ... nightmare!  hahaha

Now, I always try to keep plenty on hand.  They do refund you if they haven't been used within a certain time period ... I think it is 2 years now.  

The FCD is good for 2 years and then Princess refunds you the money putting it back on the cc you used to buy the FCD.  I have never reached that deadline as I keep several cruises per year on the books and book when the cruises are first announced. 

15 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

And ... just in case this wasn't explained, when traveling solo, one person can only use one FCD on a single booking.  If you are traveling in a pair, each of you can only use one of their own FCD's.  

Oops! Asked and answered by others.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The FCD is good for 2 years and then Princess refunds you the money putting it back on the cc you used to buy the FCD.  I have never reached that deadline as I keep several cruises per year on the books and book when the cruises are first announced. 

I actually got a check back when I let one expire.  It is from Bottomline Technologies.  I almost thought it was junk mail.  Whew  ... glad I looked into it. 

Perhaps they made this change because those credit card numbers weren't valid any longer.   Not sure why or if they try to CC first and if no longer valid, they send a check ... but, I did get a check instead once.  

On 10/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

AND pays the full deposit (10% or 20%, not sure which it is, always use FCD).

This is not true.  If one passenger has an FCD, their roommate will also get the $100 deposit, but that is it.  No additional OBC.

11 minutes ago, argenta01 said:

This is not true.  If one passenger has an FCD, their roommate will also get the $100 deposit, but that is it.  No additional OBC.

That does not seem fair. It would be possible for someone to use one FCC for $100 and receive $200 back plus 1 OBC.

Why would anyone use 2 FCC if the OBC was less than $100?

47 minutes ago, denmarks said:

That does not seem fair. It would be possible for someone to use one FCC for $100 and receive $200 back plus 1 OBC.

Why would anyone use 2 FCC if the OBC was less than $100?

Not fair and also doesn't work that way.

One passenger with 1 FCD = 1 OBC.

One passenger with 2 FCD = 1 OBC.

One passenger with 2 FCD and a "friend" with no FCD = 1 OBC.

Sometimes they just want to get rid of an expiring OBC and don't plan on another cruise for a while and don't care about getting the refund.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Not fair and also doesn't work that way.

One passenger with 1 FCD = 1 OBC.

One passenger with 2 FCD = 1 OBC.

One passenger with 2 FCD and a "friend" with no FCD = 1 OBC.

Sometimes they just want to get rid of an expiring OBC and don't plan on another cruise for a while and don't care about getting the refund.

The referenced post said the person used 1 FCD for 2 people and got $100 deposit for each. I do not think that is true.

argenta01

15 hours ago, argenta01 said:

It was poor wording.

If only one passenger has the FCD, then the second passenger can be booked with an additional payment of $100 as a deposit instead of the normal deposit.

Total deposit for two people = $200, $100 of which was from an FCD and $100 which was paid when the booking was made.

As others pointed out, this additional $100 paid does not come with OBC since it is not from an FCD.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 1:13 PM, denmarks said:

The referenced post said the person used 1 FCD for 2 people and got $100 deposit for each. I do not think that is true.

argenta01

I have done this several times.  I have a cruise booked with an FCD.  I get $100 deposit plus OBC.  Later a friend decides to join me on the cruise.  They don't have any FCD's.  They will only have to put down $100 as a deposit, not 10 or 20%.  They get no OBC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, argenta01 said:

I have done this several times.  I have a cruise booked with an FCD.  I get $100 deposit plus OBC.  Later a friend decides to join me on the cruise.  They don't have any FCD's.  They will only have to put down $100 as a deposit, not 10 or 20%.  They get no OBC.

That clarifies it. The second person is paying $100 as their deposit and that is all. No credits.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Just confirming - this happens automatically?

Or do I have to ask for it?

In my experience, it just happens automatically.  I can't believe I had a FCD that I actually forgot about.  I received a check from Bottomline Technologies for $200.  At first, I didn't know what it was for .... then, after a little research, I found out it was for a FCD that had expired.  

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

In my experience, it just happens automatically.  I can't believe I had a FCD that I actually forgot about.  I received a check from Bottomline Technologies for $200.  At first, I didn't know what it was for .... then, after a little research, I found out it was for a FCD that had expired.  

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Just confirming - this happens automatically?

Or do I have to ask for it?

We had to ask for it. Mom's FCD was expiring and we added it to our booking, but since our booking was under sip n sail (mom doesn't drink) my sister and I were the primary, and my mom was the third person.  So we just asked to apply her $100 and she did without the OBC benefit. 

wait, I may have misunderstood your question.. sorry, yes, they just mail you back the check if you don't book something in 2 years.

Edited by jennybenny
misunderstood question