Small Christmas Present for Room Attendants?

roothy123

I'll be on my first Christmas cruise.  On another board, someone mentioned bringing a small gift for his/her room attendant.  That got me to wondering if the room attendants are allowed to accept such gifts, or how that is handled.   I know space in their cabins is very limited, and that not all people celebrate Christmas, but just wondered what would happen if I gave a small (size wise and value wise!) wrapped gift to a cabin attendant?  Would a hand made card with a tip be acceptable/appreciated (I assume)?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

Would a hand made card with a tip be acceptable/appreciated (I assume)?  

VERY "acceptable/appreciated."  I even have a hard time picking out gifts for people I know really well.  And who aren't living in really small spaces.

• Like 1

Back in Renaissance days -- I don't know that this applies to Oceania at all -- crew was not permitted to accept gifts.  I mean, non-cash gifts.  I remember someone from that time who bought a bicycle to use in ports but he didn't intend to take it home.  He wanted to give it to the room attendant but there was a problem.  As I recall, he wasn't able to do so.

Of course, most "gifts" that people are talking about aren't bicycles or other large objects!  But I agree -- I'm sure that cash is most appreciated.  It's also portable ...

Mura

• Like 1

I also am planning really nice cards with cash for our butlers and  our room attendants! I think it is a nice touch and building a nice relationship even at 14 days is amazing to give something of appreciation! As a retired DDS recently I know building relationships can last a lifetime !

Denise😊

5 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I'll be on my first Christmas cruise.  On another board, someone mentioned bringing a small gift for his/her room attendant.  That got me to wondering if the room attendants are allowed to accept such gifts, or how that is handled.   I know space in their cabins is very limited, and that not all people celebrate Christmas, but just wondered what would happen if I gave a small (size wise and value wise!) wrapped gift to a cabin attendant?  Would a hand made card with a tip be acceptable/appreciated (I assume)?  

Reminds me of my youth as an alpine ski instructor at a very posh NorCal resort. We had a box in our locker room where we collected pretty much all the knit caps/scarfs (bought, made, etc) given to us by clients as Christmas gifts. On a fairly regular basis, we transferred the contents of the box to worthwhile area charities looking for winter clothing. 

One only needs so many knit caps or other well meaning _____________ ("fill in the blank") personal gifts.

However, everyone of us who got cash (with or without a note/card) very much appreciated that flexible gesture (I.e., if I needed a hat, I could then buy one OR, with that cash, I could buy groceries.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

very posh NorCal resort

Squaw? Northstar?  And yeah.  I NEVER give a gift that's specific for an activity.  My husband' golf or skiing.  And more and more.  So yes.

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I also am planning really nice cards with cash for our butlers and  our room attendants! I think it is a nice touch and building a nice relationship even at 14 days is amazing to give something of appreciation! As a retired DDS recently I know building relationships can last a lifetime !

Denise😊

Denise, I'm wondering if you will give money in advance or rather a card that says something like "Hi, I'm so and so, and am so looking forward to our time together.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to make your job easier."  Or whatever.  And then some extra money at the end.  It really does seem to me that giving money upfront just somehow smacks of a bribe.  I hope you know that I mean no offense at all.  Cath

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Squaw? Northstar?  And yeah.  I NEVER give a gift that's specific for an activity.  My husband' golf or skiing.  And more and more.  So yes.

Northstar from the time it opened for about a decade of winters. Prior to that, it was Sugar Bowl in Norden. Also spent some time at Incline andAlpine Meadows as well as back east in New England before coming to California.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Northstar from the time it opened for about a decade of winters. Prior to that, it was Sugar Bowl in Norden. Also spent some time at Incline andAlpine Meadows as well as back east in New England before coming to California.

Cool.  We just sold our (North Shore) Tahoe place about a year and a half ago.  So didn't miss last winter.  Squaw had something like 500" of snow!

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Cool.  We just sold our (North Shore) Tahoe place about a year and a half ago.  So didn't miss last winter.  Squaw had something like 500" of snow!

Can't remember which specific early '70s winter when we had to dig down to the lift towers at Sugar Bowl. 

I had many CA mountain "homes" over the years as a younger man: Norden, Truckee, Cedar Flat, Kings Beach, Incline Village.... 

Back to the OP topic: Cash Is king - even when it's left over Euros.

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Cedar Flat

Wow!  That's where our place was.  Bob's late mother and aunt built it in the early 60s...for $12k!  On High Street  left off of Lardin.  But yes, cash. In the appropriate currency.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Wow!  That's where our place was.  Bob's late mother and aunt built it in the early 60s...for $12k!  On High Street  left off of Lardin.  But yes, cash. In the appropriate currency.

Can't remember the nearest cross street off CA 28 but I used to rent a house right on the lake for several winters in the late 70's. Ate many breakfasts at the "Post Office" just down the road.

BTW, next time you're in Truckee, have breakfast at the Squeeze Inn. Hopefully there's an omelet named Donny's still on the menu. That Donny would be me (about 40 years ago).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, clo said:

Denise, I'm wondering if you will give money in advance or rather a card that says something like "Hi, I'm so and so, and am so looking forward to our time together.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to make your job easier."  Or whatever.  And then some extra money at the end.  It really does seem to me that giving money upfront just somehow smacks of a bribe.  I hope you know that I mean no offense at all.  Cath

Hi Cath!

oh no the money is at the end. I have cards to give them at the beginning with a little note inside, and at the end a THANK YOU card with money and our appreciation!

Hope your new baby mobile home was fun on Vegas and Jimmy Buffett!

Denise😊

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, roothy123 said:

We don't cruise during the holidays. That being said, we always tip our attendant & asst. at the end of the cruise. This is in addition to the daily gratuity. Richard & I are both in the hospitality fields & take care of our "own" when we travel.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 6:22 PM, victory2020 said:

I always bring edible goodies for the crew - they greatly appreciate it, especially salty snacks & chocolate. 

Do they really or do they say that they do.  Not everyone likes salty snacks or chocolate either for cultural, health or just personal reasons.  I have type II diabetes so although I like chocolate, I am not supposed to eat it. Members of the crew may have the same issue.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:22 PM, victory2020 said:

I always bring edible goodies for the crew - they greatly appreciate it, especially salty snacks & chocolate. 

or maybe they are just being polite 😎

• Like 1