New rules for cruise credits with upsells

Go-Bucks!

I brought up a question on this board a short while ago...whether someone taking a paid upsell into a full suite would get an extra cruise credit. Most people reported that they DID get the extra credit (since it wasn't a free upgrade) and all they had to do was talk to the onboard Captain Circle rep or call Princess after the cruise. 

Well...I had 12 credits and took an upsell to a full suite as a solo on the first leg of a B2B. I should have gotten 3 credits and become Elite, then gotten the benefits on this current second leg (in a balcony cabin). I discussed this with Jorge, the current Captain Circle rep on the Regal, and he said that he didn't think that I would be eligible for the extra credit but would email the home office. Later he said that his boss confirmed that there is a new Princess policy disallowing any extra credits for upsells. Considering how much extra money a solo pays for not only the cabin but ALSO the upsell charge (200% each), I think 1 extra credit is deserved. Oh well, guess you can't fight city hall. 😞 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

7 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Instead of upsells, perhaps Pribcess ought to do free upgrades to newbies ... hook thrm early.  Worked for us.

Worked for us too! Our very first cruise we booked the cheapest inside (more money for excursions!) and got a free upgrade to a balcony.  We never went back! Its too nice to sit out on that balcony!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2ferfun said:

Worked for us too! Our very first cruise we booked the cheapest inside (more money for excursions!) and got a free upgrade to a balcony.  We never went back! Its too nice to sit out on that balcony!

Us too!  Inside cabin and got a free upgrade to a balcony on an Alaskan cruise!  When I called Princess to make sure we weren’t being charged, the rep said “Welcome to Princess.”

We have booked four more Princess cruises since then.....

• Like 1

Just last week the Captain's Circle Hostess on the Majestic Princess was able to add the extra credit for our suite upsell.  So either it is a VERY new policy or there's just inconsistency of how this is handled depending on who you talk to.

Edited by azbirdmom

18 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I brought up a question on this board a short while ago...whether someone taking a paid upsell into a full suite would get an extra cruise credit. Most people reported that they DID get the extra credit (since it wasn't a free upgrade) and all they had to do was talk to the onboard Captain Circle rep or call Princess after the cruise. 

Well...I had 12 credits and took an upsell to a full suite as a solo on the first leg of a B2B. I should have gotten 3 credits and become Elite, then gotten the benefits on this current second leg (in a balcony cabin). I discussed this with Jorge, the current Captain Circle rep on the Regal, and he said that he didn't think that I would be eligible for the extra credit but would email the home office. Later he said that his boss confirmed that there is a new Princess policy disallowing any extra credits for upsells. Considering how much extra money a solo pays for not only the cabin but ALSO the upsell charge (200% each), I think 1 extra credit is deserved. Oh well, guess you can't fight city hall. 😞 

In my expeiience It is eligible. 

Call the Captains Circle desk.

They have always added them for me after the fact.

I have heard this for a long time that the extra credit has to be added manually after the cruise is completed.

There was a recent discussion about this in the last few weeks and this was confirmed by a couple of posters.

21 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

In my expeiience It is eligible. 

Call the Captains Circle desk.

They have always added them for me after the fact.

I have heard this for a long time that the extra credit has to be added manually after the cruise is completed.

There was a recent discussion about this in the last few weeks and this was confirmed by a couple of posters.

It's a moot point now...I qualified for Elite on this second leg so no need to call in after the fact. I was just hoping to get the perks now since I'm in a balcony cabin instead of the suite. I agree with azbirdmom...probably depends on who you talk to at that minute. 😞

1 hour ago, cjpj said:

Humm, we've t  aken suite upgrades several times over the years and I always thought you didn't get the extra credit for this from something in the upgrade offer, so I never asked.

That has been our experience as well.  But it was only once … but it was a couple of years ago so who knows whether that's always been the rule and only inconsistently applied or whether it is a new rule and they will be consistent with it from here on out.