Cabins on Radiance SB Alaska itinerary?

JSSpence

Hi all, 

We've gone ahead and made an initial booking on a SB Radiance of the Seas sailing for June 2021. The cabin (balcony) our agent grabbed for us is 1H-8546. Having a sofa bed instead of a pullman is important to us, as we'll have our 8 yr old son with us. Other than that, other thoughts? I'm not quite sure which side this will face when sailing, and what the benefits of either side might be. I am sometimes but not consistently prone to motion sickness, if that matters. I'm also cross-posting this on the Alaska board. Thanks!

We sailed on Radiance SB in 2018, and we had a post-side balcony and it provided great views - but cannot comment on whether the starboard side had even better views.  Here is the link to my review.  

PS:  Our son was also 8 on this cruise...

Your TA (agent) did not give you a good cabin.   First of all, you have pullman beds in that cabin.  Second, you are starboard side (port side is best for views going south bound).  

To get away from the many pullman bed cabins, try to deck nine.  Ask your TA to be sure it has pullout bed, not pullmans.  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, JSSpence said:

Thanks - according to the RC deck plan it has a sofa bed?

No....You stated 8546...correct?  Look at the cabin...it has a "*" on it.  Which if you look at the symbol map on the right..means it has a pullman bed.  Would suggest you get your agent to guarantee it's a pull out bed.  The cabins with pullout beds have a small triangle on it.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/radiance-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1977/08

Edited by island lady

Note that Royal has changed how they categorize cabins for the North and Southbound Alaska cruises..  If you want a balcony facing land (portside on southbound)  you will pay more than a starboard side balcony.  I've seen price differences of $400 per person.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Personally I’m not in my cabin often enough for it to make a difference.  After four Alaska cruises I get the cheapest cabin (interior or OV) and put the savings to excursions and the train ride to Seward.  Balconies are so expensive by booking interior it’s like getting free excursions and I book expensive excursions like helicopters to glaciers.  

An Alaska cruise is about the destination.  Roam the ship looking for wildlife and scenery on both sides.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the input so far. It looks like RCI is adjusting the Radiance deck plans over the next couple years. When I look at the deck plans for our June 2021 sailing, it shows this cabin with a triangle for a sofa bed, rather than the asterisk for the Pullman. The 9th deck cabins appear to all be a tier above ours, as spa cabins and whatnot. There was one or two cabins on the other side with the triangle as well, I’ll ask my TA if those carry a surcharge.

15 minutes ago, JSSpence said:

Thanks for the input so far. It looks like RCI is adjusting the Radiance deck plans over the next couple years. When I look at the deck plans for our June 2021 sailing, it shows this cabin with a triangle for a sofa bed, rather than the asterisk for the Pullman. The 9th deck cabins appear to all be a tier above ours, as spa cabins and whatnot. There was one or two cabins on the other side with the triangle as well, I’ll ask my TA if those carry a surcharge.

If they are on the opposite side they will have a surcharge

Balcony categories on the starboard side are 1 G and 1H

Balcony categories on the port side are 3G and 3H

Edited by Ourusualbeach

28 minutes ago, JSSpence said:

The new deck plan on the website for Radiance does show a sofabed in that particular cabin...keep it or if you can find a more midship for the same price and sofabed make a change since less movement will be felt midship....However this is an inside itinerary and more than likely you'll have very calm waters..Enjoy !!!

Just how close to the shoreline on the portside of the ship going Southbound do they get?

I assume it's no closer then going through the inside passage is it?  I mean you really can't make anything out without Binoculares? 

Do they travel closer to the land when sailing a Southbound Alaska Cruise?

For the Inside Passage I don't really think it matters at all what side of the ship you are on?

Edited by Jimbo

21 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Only if the stateroom is a different category.

There use different categories depending on which side of the ship.  Example: 4P OV and 2P OV are the same except for which side of the ship.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/radiance-of-the-seas/deck-plans/2045/03

Edited by Another_Critic

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

There use different categories depending on which side of the ship.  Example: 4P OV and 2P OV are the same except for which side of the ship.

So are you saying that a particular stateroom changes category based on whether the ship is going northbound or southbound?  Every week a different category?

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

So are you saying that a particular stateroom changes category based on whether the ship is going northbound or southbound?  Every week a different category?

They don't change category, but the pricing for port / starboard will be dependent on the Alaska itinerary.  Starboard higher NB, Port higher SB.

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

They don't change category, but the pricing for port / starboard will be dependent on the Alaska itinerary.  Starboard higher NB, Port higher SB.

I think I see what you are saying.  One week 4P costs more than 2P, the next week 2P costs more than 4P, right?

30 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Here’s an image of the categories.  They are also charging more for the aft balconies. 

22257A33-CF7B-45A4-BC54-6CBBC31FF2FB.png

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On 11/16/2019 at 6:28 PM, Jimbo said:

Just how close to the shoreline on the portside of the ship going Southbound do they get?

I assume it's no closer then going through the inside passage is it?  I mean you really can't make anything out without Binoculares? 

Do they travel closer to the land when sailing a Southbound Alaska Cruise?

For the Inside Passage I don't really think it matters at all what side of the ship you are on?

The ship will be offshore when possible to be in international water.  Typically around 20 miles offshore to give them room to maneuver around other vessels and such.  

While the ship is in the inside passage this isn't possible so they tend to center the ship within the channels of the waterways.  Within the inside passage, either the Alaskan inside passage or the Canadian inside passage it doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on, both sides will see land and wildlife.  Whales, other marine life and eagles go where ever, they don't think about being on a ship's starboard side or port side, they don't care about one shore versus the other.  We had Orcas on starboard going South in the Canadian inside passage.  Luck of the draw. 

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Shhh....RCI doesn't want people to know that - it has bet on folks paying a premium for mainland side cabins.

Fortunately there is an endless line of consumers willing to pay a premium for a perceived perk.  Unpublished benefit - this side comes with sunrise views.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Category stays the same week to week, when you go in to pick your cabin, it will be add $401 for a port side cabin on southbound cruises and add $401 for starboard on northbound. 

Aft facing balconies have a separate category and are as much as $1,500 higher and connecting are also a separate, higher priced category.