Leaving the ship early

scouseronline

We are going on the Celebrity Summit in 2020, Boston to Fort Lauderdale, however the day prior to arriving in Fort Lauderdale we will be in Key West, Is it possible to get off the ship in Key West instead of Fort Lauderdale, we'd like to spend a few days in Key West,  Thanks

Edited by scouseronline

On this particular cruise, most likely yes, because you are visiting a distant foreign port to be able to travel between two U.S. ports in the first place (BOS to FLL). On a normal closed-loop U.S. cruise, you wouldn't be able to without violating the PVSA and incurring a fine, which the cruiseline may or may not let you do.

Would really recommend you contact Celebrity in advance

air_sea_cci_web@celebritycruises.com

I once departed for a couple day side trip to the Taj Majal and below was the response I received.   There is a $60 charge for this and they investigate to make sure there is no violations to the Cabotage Act.    Process time is just a couple days.

Good day

Thank you for your mail.... Below are the new procedures pertaining downline ... 

Re: Pre-Downline Request

Good Day,

Please be advised that we have received your request to embark/debark at an alternate port. After reviewing said request we are happy to advise that currently there are no regulatory restrictions that will prohibit an approval.

There is a $65 USD or CAD equivalent per booking handling to finalize your approval and arrangement. Please contact us at your earliest convenience and provide us with a valid credit card payment.

We can be reached 7 days a week, 24 hours a day at:  Domestic: 1-800-256-6649 (prompt #1) or International: 305-539-4107.

Thank you

Why not complete your full cruise then hire a car in Fort Lauderdale and drive through the rest of the Keys to Key West? We have done this a few times. Much as we love Key West itself it is the drive and stop offs along the way that are magical...

It is a long drive but well worth it and you could break the drive up by spending a night on another Key...and of course you don’t loose a day of your cruise.

• Like 2

This is a weird one. Normally, this would probably be a no, but I wonder if Key West is the first US port after the Caribbean ports. In which case, immigration has to happen anyways, so this might actually be possible. Best answer is from Celebrity themselves.

I agree with @chemmo, finish your cruise and drive down. A couple of years ago, we did this before embarking on a cruise and loved the drive down and back as much as we enjoyed the days spent in Key West. Forgive the cliché, but make it about the journey, not just the destination.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Immigration yes, customs no.

What you claim is not true, if so, merchandise and contraband drugs could be introduced to the USA. On our Pacific Coast cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles the migration and customs was in San Francisco, next is the letter that X sends to your cabin. This situation is similar. You don't need to bring your bags, etc. The ship passenger counter must reach 0 and authorities clear it in order you can return onboard. The CBP inspector ask you all the questions when you enter to USA, what are you bringing, alcohol, tobacco, money, for foreign's how many days are you staying in USA, etc, it's a verbal declaration, then they take you your photo and fingerprints.

scan0002.jpg

Edited by gerelmx

Another option is to get off in Ft Lauderdale and take the shuttle to Key West.  There are several companies that run shuttles.  I did it last year with my sister.  They aren't' equipped to handle large amounts of luggage but if you don't want to drive, it's another choice.

I do agree with others though that you need it approved ahead of time from Celebrity.  Don't just get off and not tell them or wait until you are onboard to ask.

If you've never done it before; the drive down to Key West would be something to do.  True, it would be a long drive, but, you can stop off on one of the keys.  We have done this and have had breakfast/lunch in one of the great restaurants along the way, [Mrs. Max, Chads, etc.].

5 hours ago, gerelmx said:

What you claim is not true, if so, merchandise and contraband drugs could be introduced to the USA. On our Pacific Coast cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles the migration and customs was in San Francisco, next is the letter that X sends to your cabin. This situation is similar. You don't need to bring your bags, etc. The ship passenger counter must reach 0 and authorities clear it in order you can return onboard. The CBP inspector ask you all the questions when you enter to USA, what are you bringing, alcohol, tobacco, money, for foreign's how many days are you staying in USA, etc, it's a verbal declaration, then they take you your photo and fingerprints.

The only thing we have ever done in Key West is walk by the C&I officers with our passports open to the picture page. There was no verbal inquiry, and even if there were, who is going to say, "Yes, I have contraband drugs"?

Edited by hrhdhd