Dress code - what does evening chic amount to usually?

Traderboy

We are used to Princess but are going on our first Celebrity cruise in February from Singapore to Dubai.

We have read various accounts of what they mean by evening chic but would like to hear some first-hand experience.

What percentage of the men will be dressed in formal wear - ie dinner jackets?

Indeed what percentage of the men will even have a jacket at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It varies by sailing and itinerary...

Yet, most men will be casually dressed with dress/sports shirt and jacket, some with ties, there will be some tuxedos and kilts too...

X's website gives guidelines on 'preferred men's dress code', too.

What is your fancy other than shorts and/or jeans??

bon voyage

Am on Edge now. Last night was chic night. I chose not to bring a sport jacket. Wore dress slacks and a long sleeve dressy patterned shirt. I absolutely did not feel out if place. However, I would estimare that 20% of men were very dressy with suits and ties with a few tuxes mixed in thst crowd. Another 35% wore a jacket with no tie. About 45% wore just slacks with collared shirt and no jacket. Again, this is just my estimate...hope it helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You will see a few tuxedos but very few and a some men in suits or sport coats. There will be more men in a sport shirt and slacks. The women dress up more than the men. Personally I haven't taken a sport coat in 7 year. I just do formal Hawaiian. a Hawaiian shirt and slacks. Bottom line dress in whatever you are comfortable in.

• Like 2

I have found this on Celebrity website. Trouble is - it really doesn’t help a lot. Seems that the only requirements for men are long trousers and a shirt! Is this correct?

Evening Chic – While also having the option to wear your formal best, Evening Chic nights are relaxed, yet sophisticated, attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing a cocktail dress, skirt, trousers, or designer/smart jeans with an elegant top.
Men should feel comfortable wearing trousers or designer/smart jeans with a dress shirt or button-down shirt or sweater, with sport coats/blazers optional.

20 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

I have found this on Celebrity website. Trouble is - it really doesn’t help a lot. Seems that the only requirements for men are long trousers and a shirt! Is this correct?

Yep, that's it.

Wear what you want that fits that description,  dress up if you want, just don't get judgemental if others don't dress up as much as you might like to 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

That's correct, the requirements are minimal. Some people stick with the basic requirements, others choose a higher level of dress. Go with whatever level makes you happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Veinless said:

Did not see any difference in Luminae on Equinox last January. Just another night. Generally well-dressed folks.

Just an FYI, Evening chic does not apply to Luminae, Blu or any of the Specialty restaurants.   It applies only to the MDR, has been that way for several years now. 

• Like 1

An interesting side note to this discussion. Yesterday, I saw a report on the HAL board that Cruiseline Formalwear has apparently gone out of business -- or at least their webpage is down. If that's true, it's the end of an era. With all of the flying involved in cruising, we were regular customers, back when they were the tux-rental concessionaire for Celebrity and RC. They provided a great product, at a good price, and we only had one complaint, in all the years of renting tuxes through them. Now, my DH takes a sport-coat and tie, for chic/formal/dress-up night --- regardless of the line we are sailing. That turns out to be the 'Goldilocks' spot for those occasions: not too dressy for the more casual lines, but dressy enough for the ships that still call it 'formal night'.😎

34 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Just an FYI, Evening chic does not apply to Luminae, Blu or any of the Specialty restaurants.   It applies only to the MDR, has been that way for several years now. 

Technically true. But practically speaking I have seen "dressiness" or lack thereof pretty much equally practiced throughout the ship. Back in formal night days, we encountered strict enforcement of the jacket rule by staff in Blu. Some people were so angry they showed written proof to the Blu head  waiter of the more casual policy in Blu to no avail.

40 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

What does this mean? No dress code so shorts are allowed? 

The official dress code in Luminae is Smart Casual every day which specifically restrict shorts for dinner. 

In reality my experience is that most men dress up to a higher level on Chic Nights.   As many have said the percentage of mend that dress up will vary by cruise and by itinerary.   On our TA last week I would say 80% of men in Luminae wore Jackets with our without Ties with only a handful of Tux.  

The Greek Island cruise was a bit more casual and I would guess only 60% wore Jackets and above.

The women always dress up and look wonderful.

Dress how you feel within guidelines and I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

On our last cruise I would say that 80% of the man were wearing DJs, very few without a jacket.  This was in October of this year. Three men wearing Kilts. Given your itinerary you will not be out of place in a DJ or jacket.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

On our last cruise I would say that 80% of the man were wearing DJs, very few without a jacket.  This was in October of this year. Three men wearing Kilts. Given your itinerary you will not be out of place in a DJ or jacket.

What cruise was this?

Haven't seen anything like those figures in 4 years.

Infinity in the Med this summer I would say that maybe 10% wore a DJ, no more.  About 20-30% a jacket of some sort.  At least half no jacket.

• Like 3

I just had to weigh in ont his subject.

Even tough it is clearly spelled out on the X website, its basically whatever you want to wear that is comfortable for you, as long as its not t-shirts, shorts and flip flops, I have seen all kinds of dress.

As for myself, I like to dress a little better than casual, my preference.

On Chic night I usually wear a suit and tie and wife wears an evening dress, I have seen everything from tuxedos to jeans.

On normal nights in the MDR I wear slacks and a collared shirt, normally an "Aloha shirt" or Polo shirt.

On my last cruise I was pointed out by another guest to the staff that in their opinion my "Aloha shirt" should not be allowed, lol.

Relax folks, you're on vacation, there are more relevant and important things going on in the world than to get upset about what someone is wearing.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The official dress code in Luminae is Smart Casual every day which specifically restrict shorts for dinner. 

In reality my experience is that most men dress up to a higher level on Chic Nights.   As many have said the percentage of mend that dress up will vary by cruise and by itinerary.   On our TA last week I would say 80% of men in Luminae wore Jackets with our without Ties with only a handful of Tux.  

The Greek Island cruise was a bit more casual and I would guess only 60% wore Jackets and above.

The women always dress up and look wonderful.

Dress how you feel within guidelines and I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Well, this woman doesn’t do super dressy (and slapping mascara on is my extent of “make-up”), so... Not all women go all out.

• Like 3

Thank you everybody for your firsthand experiences.
It does strange that the percentage of men in tuxes varies from 80% to a few %.
That is basically my problem, in knowing what to bring.

I think I will go for the middle ground with one sports jacket and a couple of ties.

I think the issue of aircraft luggage space is the reason for the recent changes in dress requirements. Also I guess some people prefer not to be very ‘chic’.
I prefer to blend in rather than strand out from the crowd.

38 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

What cruise was this?

Haven't seen anything like those figures in 4 years.

Infinity in the Med this summer I would say that maybe 10% wore a DJ, no more.  About 20-30% a jacket of some sort.  At least half no jacket.

Silhouette from Southampton,  I should clarify 80% DJs or suits. Bit of banter at the bar with men complimenting one another on how smart they looked. Perhaps they had been reading some of the threads on Cruise Critic 😎

4 hours ago, Traderboy said:

Thank you everybody for your firsthand experiences.
It does strange that the percentage of men in tuxes varies from 80% to a few %.
That is basically my problem, in knowing what to bring.

I have not been on a Celebrity cruise in years where 80% were wearing a tux. Actually never and my first Celebrity cruise was in 1996. The amount can vary on itinerary. I have not worn a tux of jacket since Evening Chic, a dress shirt, is what I wear, and I would estimate more than 50% were wearing the same. The rest were  divided among wearing, a suit, sports jacket or tux with very few tuxes. 

As far as blending in with the crowd. The crowd is a blend. You don't have to worry about standing out. That is one of the features of Evening Chic. You are worried about nothing.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, edgee said:

Technically true. But practically speaking I have seen "dressiness" or lack thereof pretty much equally practiced throughout the ship. Back in formal night days, we encountered strict enforcement of the jacket rule by staff in Blu. Some people were so angry they showed written proof to the Blu head  waiter of the more casual policy in Blu to no avail.

That's because a couple of the ships went rogue.  Jackets have never been the rule in Blu, as a matter of fact if we were to go back to the first few years of Blu before the new dress code went into effect, people were on a regular basis booking Blu so they didn't have to dress up.   

I haven't been to Europe or sailed out of SouthHampton, no desire but the percentages of dress are very much dependent on itinerary.  Haven't see more than 10% tuxes in years and jackets aren't any higher than 25%.   Definitely see less men in jackets in Blu and Luminae.  

The beauty of Celebrity's dress code is that you can pretty much do what you want within reason. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I haven't been to Europe or sailed out of SouthHampton, no desire but the percentages of dress are very much dependent on itinerary.  Haven't see more than 10% tuxes in years and jackets aren't any higher than 25%.   Definitely see less men in jackets in Blu and Luminae.  

I have sailed out of Europe and Southhampton. I dressed the same the last few years on those as I will next month on Reflection in the Caribbean. A long sleeve dress shirt. UK passengers like to wear tuxes. So the percentage in a tux is higher since there will be more UK passengers. It might reach 30% or 35%. It does not matter to me.  I am an American on an American cruise line. I don't think the UK passengers should have any expectation I would dress like they do. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2