Taking Medications Overseas

The detainment of a Sydney man in Bali for taking in medication classed as a type one narcotic reminds us all to check with each country we are visiting. It is imperative to check with official government websites or the appropriate authorities for allowed medications and to also have documentation to support the carrying of the medications.

And do declare all medications.

Leigh

I suppose one day it will happen, but I have taken a letter from my GP listing my medication and have been prepared to show it at all times, but in all my overseas trips (cruises and others) I have not been asked to show it either overseas or coming back home to Australia even though I always declare that I am carrying drugs. Yes, I am usually asked if the drugs are just for personal medication. But I have never been asked to show either the letter or the medication.

I think its a small subset of drugs which are an issue - opiods, some of the anit-psychotics seem to come up quite often. My partner is taking about 10 different ones a day at the moment for cardiac issues and I'm yet to find any of them banned anywhere in the world 

And in addition, perhaps in the case referred to here and shown on TV last night, there is more to the story? Thousands of people travel to Bali each week, and some of them must be carrying drugs of the type of concern to the Indonesian authorities, and  there is no way that all of them are declaring these together with the paperwork.

In any case, always declare and carry appropriate paperwork. 

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

And in addition, perhaps in the case referred to here and shown on TV last night, there is more to the story? Thousands of people travel to Bali each week, and some of them must be carrying drugs of the type of concern to the Indonesian authorities, and  there is no way that all of them are declaring these together with the paperwork.

In any case, always declare and carry appropriate paperwork. 

There was probably a reason this man's luggage was searched.

His legal troubles came about because he did not have any documentation from his doctor and the fact that he was going to Bali for a short time (four days from memory) but had a bottle with 87 (once again, from memory) tablets in it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lissie said:

I think its a small subset of drugs which are an issue - opiods, some of the anit-psychotics seem to come up quite often. My partner is taking about 10 different ones a day at the moment for cardiac issues and I'm yet to find any of them banned anywhere in the world 

My comment is not specific to Bali, but do NOT assume that "only a certain kind of medicine/drug" will be problem is some particular country.

For example, Japan forbids original formulation Sudafed (a decongestant).

(However, with further investigation, it turns out that it is a density/dilution issue, so if one went to the trouble with a compounding pharmacist, one probably could bring some, but I'd double check with the Japanese authorities to get their approval in advance.)

It is usually quite easy to find for each country what their rules are, and what is restricted or forbidden, or what has quantity limits.  One should also check what documentation is needed.
We always travel with proper pharmacy labels for each med, a copy of the original script, AND a letter from a physician documenting that there is a medical need for "X", where "X" is any type of "sensitive" medication/drug or injection med.  We just keep those documents with us whenever we travel, and there's often nothing special needed, UNLESS there are specific permissions/restrictions from a particular country.

We've never been asked for such documentation, and the one time we "presented" the docs, the immigrations/customs folks didn't seem interested.  That was Japan, where we had advance permissions, so they "knew" we were coming and that we'd be carrying x, y, and z, etc.

With email, those permissions were overnight issues, fast and easy.

Better safe than sorry...!

GC

It is really important to check the requirements for the country you are visiting and get the permits. I have never had a problem getting permits for various countries, although I did have to clarify the number of tablets for the UAE authorities. I have never been asked to produce a permit, but I am awfully glad I had them!

• 1 month later...

my experience this year.

I have several banned drugs in Dubai where we were spending a few days. one was Stemetil for nausea and Tramadol for pai , it wasn't what you would think would be banned.

It is best to check each country's banned drugs - in Dubai I applied online for an exemption especially as I was carrying a month worth but only there 3 days. No one was checking bags as we came off flight but I was told by our driver it was their quiet time.

There are some horror stories online so I won't risk it - just follow each countries requirements. Good when I cruise as it isn't such a problem

Thailand also has strict drugs policy. If one is required to have certain drugs illegal in Thailand it is possible to get an exemption if one applies for it before leaving home. Codeine is one that I have daily and is illegal in Thailand. I was unaware of this until reading it on a travel forum and I had been taking codeine across the border many times previously in ignorance.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, kate59 said:

my experience this year.

I have several banned drugs in Dubai where we were spending a few days. one was Stemetil for nausea and Tramadol for pai , it wasn't what you would think would be banned.

It is best to check each country's banned drugs - in Dubai I applied online for an exemption especially as I was carrying a month worth but only there 3 days. No one was checking bags as we came off flight but I was told by our driver it was their quiet time.

There are some horror stories online so I won't risk it - just follow each countries requirements. Good when I cruise as it isn't such a problem

Dubai is only a problem with any of the drugs you mentioned if you don’t have prescriptions for them. In some countries Tramadol / Stemetil can be gotten OTC and Dubai want a script. Also, having the bulk of medications in your checked luggage also solves a lot of problems, just carry an immediate few days in hand luggage - with original script and Drs letter just in case. 
Spent many a stopover in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi - quite familiar with both lovely cities and I have  some very peculiar meds. Never a problem 👍
Rose

Edited by Porky55

32 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Dubai is only a problem with any of the drugs you mentioned if you don’t have prescriptions for them. In some countries Tramadol / Stemetil can be gotten OTC and Dubai want a script. Also, having the bulk of medications in your checked luggage also solves a lot of problems, just carry an immediate few days in hand luggage - with original script and Drs letter just in case. 
Spent many a stopover in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi - quite familiar with both lovely cities and I have  some very peculiar meds. Never a problem 👍
Rose

I agree a beautiful city and with authority to carry was no problem how ever I would never place medication in checked luggage as risky if bag lost. It happened to someone on China tour with us and just as well it wasn't unusual medicine. She never got the bag back. 

Kate, I agree that I wouldn't place medications in checked luggage. On a tour around South America, four of us (including me) didn't get our luggage when we arrived. Qantas didn't load ours from the Brisbane-Sydney plane onto the international one. I got my bag a few days later, but one of the other bags never turned up. It contained 'serious' medication.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Kate,

All a great idea but if you are perhaps flying to UK to board a ship for a 56 day return cruise  (or a World Cruise) for two adults - I wouldn’t carry all our medications with me in my carry on as then I WOULD be pulled in at customs because of the quantity. 

That is why I carry all my prescriptions with me - so much simpler than all my meds 😉 

Would like to ask if you have a link to the ‘authority to carry’ you completed as my relatives in Dubai know nothing about it, though I do see mention of it on the UK websites? 
We spent two weeks in Abu Dhabi last September and had no one ask for anything even like it and I have epilepsy and use Clonazepam - 🤔

Cheers, Rose 

19 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Kate, I agree that I wouldn't place medications in checked luggage. On a tour around South America, four of us (including me) didn't get our luggage when we arrived. Qantas didn't load ours from the Brisbane-Sydney plane onto the international one. I got my bag a few days later, but one of the other bags never turned up. It contained 'serious' medication.

We have lost a suitcase too Aus Traveller - on our travels and now we split everything throughout our cases - clothing, underwear, meds - just in case. You travel and learn. 

This is what CC is all about yes, we try to help make it easy for new cruisers?

11 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Kate,

All a great idea but if you are perhaps flying to UK to board a ship for a 56 day return cruise  (or a World Cruise) for two adults - I wouldn’t carry all our medications with me in my carry on as then I WOULD be pulled in at customs because of the quantity. 

That is why I carry all my prescriptions with me - so much simpler than all my meds 😉

Your prescriptions are written by an Australian doctor authorised under our medical system. If you lost your medication while travelling overseas, you would not be able to get these prescriptions filled outside Australia. However, you could visit a doctor in whichever country you are travelling and show him your prescriptions and try to get him to write you a prescription for a similar medication. This may not be exactly what you are currently taking.

I haven't ever had my hand luggage X-rayed on arrival at a foreign airport, only when checking in before boarding a plane. Your checked-in luggage is x-rayed so the amount of medication packed in it could cause you to be pulled aside for a search. Even so, I would think it would be OK when you showed them your itinerary with the number of days, and also showed them the prescriptions.

I think it is risky to have important medication in your checked-in luggage, but it could be worthwhile asking your doctor for his advice. All the best.🙂

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think it is risky to have important medication in your checked-in luggage, but it could be worthwhile asking your doctor for his advice. All the best.🙂

Aus Traveller - did this exactly, checked everywhere, everyone and everything before first travelling years ago. No problem with 10 or 14 days of meds in hand luggage,  (though I still only carry a few days - honestly not much room for more in MY hand luggage)  the problem arises when the trips are for extended periods. This is all part of  thrill of travel, and why we spread our packing.
If you travel solo, you would need to do the same thing between hand and checked etc.

All the best to you too, and happy cruising 🙂

Edited by Porky55

5 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Aus Traveller - did this exactly, checked everywhere, everyone and everything before first travelling years ago. No problem with 10 or 14 days of meds in hand luggage,  (though I still only carry a few days - honestly not much room for more in MY hand luggage)  the problem arises when the trips are for extended periods. This is all part of  thrill of travel, and why we spread our packing.
If you travel solo, you would need to do the same thing between hand and checked etc.

All the best to you too, and happy cruising 🙂

Have you tried to get advance permission from the appropriate authorities, such that you have documentation regarding the quantities allowed?

(In some cases it might need to be for all Rx meds, or perhaps just for some of the more "sensitive" ones.)

GC

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Have you tried to get advance permission from the appropriate authorities, such that you have documentation regarding the quantities allowed?

(In some cases it might need to be for all Rx meds, or perhaps just for some of the more "sensitive" ones.)

GC

GC - no, don’t think this is required if I carry the correct documentation myself.

Hope this helps some. 

21 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

the problem arises when the trips are for extended periods

7 hours ago, Porky55 said:

GC - no, don’t think this is required if I carry the correct documentation myself.

Hope this helps some. 

The top quote from you is what I was referring to, when you described it as a "problem".

And it certainly could be, depending upon the country, the med(s), and the length of time.

IF there is a limit on the quantity or "number of days' supplies", then having your own documentation may not be sufficient. If it is a critical med, much better to have it all arranged in advance.

GC

On 1/13/2020 at 8:13 PM, GeezerCouple said:

The top quote from you is what I was referring to, when you described it as a "problem".

And it certainly could be, depending upon the country, the med(s), and the length of time.

IF there is a limit on the quantity or "number of days' supplies", then having your own documentation may not be sufficient. If it is a critical med, much better to have it all arranged in advance.

GC

GC

Thank you for your advice - do wonder how people manage on World Cruises??

This had more to do with packing meds in hand luggage v checked luggage. With a 14 day cruise I have no chance of fitting: all meds for the cruise, iPad, charger, purse, change of clothes etc in my hand luggage - and wouldn’t try anyway. 😉

So the “problem” for those packing their meds in hand luggage must surely rise when they have longer cruises? It’s also my understanding that prescription drugs must remain in the original containers.

Still, as an aside, I personally would not bother with advance paperwork, this has been my opinion all along and remains so 🤔 

Cheers and happy cruising, Rose

Edited by Porky55