Worst Back to Back Ever Experienced

wizard-of-roz

On 12/15/2019 at 3:37 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

Thank you for your good information.  I had already written a letter to U.S. Customs office and was sent a reply, this is how it read:   "All systems as to how or where the Back to Back Passenger In Transit portfolio is handled is decided by and planned by each individual cruise line.  You need to contact the cruise line directly if you experienced any problems or inconveniences in reference to same."

I have followed up by contacting the cruise line, the Access Dept.,  my Travel Agent, and management of the Cruise Line.  

I don't have any Back to Back cruises planned in my future. 

I like cruising, I like most everything about it.  I will not allow what happened to me and my canine partner to ever happen again.

Again, thank you to everyone for your suggestions and input.  

While CBP does have some responsibility, it has always been my position that Princess can do a better logistics job. This was mentioned all the way back in my post no. 4. The quote from CBP confirms my position. As Princess keeps marketing b2b's they need to address this issue to make the turn around run more smoothly and comfortably for their customers. Having experienced U.S. port b2b's in Ft. Lauderdale, San Francisco and San Pedro, I can confirm that San Pedro was chaotic, unorganized and the worst of the 3 ports. Walking outside, along the sidewalk with disembarking passengers, all the up and down elevators/escalators, very poorly organized. It's almost as if Princess was saying 'why are you putting us through all these problems' rather than 'thank you staying on board for another Princess voyage.'

• Like 1

We were on a B2B with Celebrity a while back with the turn around port being Port Everglades.  The process was to leave the ship, walk through one terminal, wave our passport at a CBSA agent then trek down the road to another terminal,  process through security then re-board. Except the ship had shifted during our trek so we had to wait for the ship to be re-positioned before we could re-board. The whole process took a couple of hours.  We would have been better off to take a tour, and be out of the B2B process all togeher.

Both the cruise line and CBSA  say the other is responsible for the process, I suspect it's a bit of finger pointing from both. When all is said and done I think it's CBSA who determines the agents available and hence the final process.

The lesson learned for me is to ask, ask and ask again "what will be the process". If it's more than I can physically manage then I'll ask for support.  

1 hour ago, WpgCruise said:

We were on a B2B with Celebrity a while back with the turn around port being Port Everglades.  The process was to leave the ship, walk through one terminal, wave our passport at a CBSA agent then trek down the road to another terminal,  process through security then re-board. Except the ship had shifted during our trek so we had to wait for the ship to be re-positioned before we could re-board. The whole process took a couple of hours.  We would have been better off to take a tour, and be out of the B2B process all togeher.

Both the cruise line and CBSA  say the other is responsible for the process, I suspect it's a bit of finger pointing from both. When all is said and done I think it's CBSA who determines the agents available and hence the final process.

The lesson learned for me is to ask, ask and ask again "what will be the process". If it's more than I can physically manage then I'll ask for support.  

Great suggestion, thank you!

8 hours ago, skynight said:

While CBP does have some responsibility, it has always been my position that Princess can do a better logistics job. This was mentioned all the way back in my post no. 4. The quote from CBP confirms my position. As Princess keeps marketing b2b's they need to address this issue to make the turn around run more smoothly and comfortably for their customers. Having experienced U.S. port b2b's in Ft. Lauderdale, San Francisco and San Pedro, I can confirm that San Pedro was chaotic, unorganized and the worst of the 3 ports. Walking outside, along the sidewalk with disembarking passengers, all the up and down elevators/escalators, very poorly organized. It's almost as if Princess was saying 'why are you putting us through all these problems' rather than 'thank you staying on board for another Princess voyage.'

I totally agree.  Thanks for the input!

On 12/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, dog said:

I suggest ruling out a B2B. Other North American ports have you get off the ship to go through the process you went through. 

My husband and I did four B2B cruises out of Seattle in 2018 - we did not have to disembark at all.  Although we did choose to on two occasions when we walked into the city.  Seattle is THE best embark/disembark port we have ever cruised out of.  Melbourne is the worst, closely followed by Sydney.  In saying that, my recent cruise on Ruby ex-Sydney was the best Sydney experience I have had.

2 hours ago, i_love_cruising said:

My husband and I did four B2B cruises out of Seattle in 2018 - we did not have to disembark at all.  Although we did choose to on two occasions when we walked into the city.  Seattle is THE best embark/disembark port we have ever cruised out of.  Melbourne is the worst, closely followed by Sydney.  In saying that, my recent cruise on Ruby ex-Sydney was the best Sydney experience I have had.

You were fortunate in 2018.

OP's experience at San Pedro & Fort Lauderdale--Dec.4/19 Sky Princess required it recently.

I have decided that I will NOT do any Back to Back cruising on any ship that can NOT guarantee me that the process will NOT require long walks around the outside of the ship. 

Upon speaking to Customs, Immigration, TSA and Special Needs Dept. of the cruise line.......they each state that there is no guarantee as to how the process will be handled prior to embarkation.  How it will be handled is decided on a case by case basis during the cruise.  There is no "written in law" general procedure for all cruise lines.  They suggested that I should have been more vocal and described my limitations prior to the day of Passenger Transit.  I agree.  Lesson learned for any future cruising I choose to do.

I'm glad I could share my experience with all of you so that you can base any future decisions on what's best for you.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I have decided that I will NOT do any Back to Back cruising on any ship that can NOT guarantee me that the process will NOT require long walks around the outside of the ship. 

Upon speaking to Customs, Immigration, TSA and Special Needs Dept. of the cruise line.......they each state that there is no guarantee as to how the process will be handled prior to embarkation.  How it will be handled is decided on a case by case basis during the cruise.  There is no "written in law" general procedure for all cruise lines.  They suggested that I should have been more vocal and described my limitations prior to the day of Passenger Transit.  I agree.  Lesson learned for any future cruising I choose to do.

I'm glad I could share my experience with all of you so that you can base any future decisions on what's best for you.

Wizard-of-roz;  I applaud you for accepting that you should have been more vocal to Passenger Services and I encourage you to not give up on back to back cruising.  You have now experienced what could happen and knowing your limitations as well as the animal's limitations, you can request the proper service to make in transit procedure be more enjoyable.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

We are on our first b2b right now, so went thru the in-transit passenger thing yesterday for the first time.  Was fairly quick and painless, met in the DR at 9:15, but they didn't come get us till closer to 9:45 to go off the ship, down to the terminal and waited there maybe 15-20 minutes till they zero'd out the ship.  Then a quick walk by customs with passport out, and back on.

Probably was back on by 10:35.  Seemed simple enough.

12 hours ago, whitecap said:

Wizard-of-roz;  I applaud you for accepting that you should have been more vocal to Passenger Services and I encourage you to not give up on back to back cruising.  You have now experienced what could happen and knowing your limitations as well as the animal's limitations, you can request the proper service to make in transit procedure be more enjoyable.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thank you!  Have a healthy, happy Christmas and joyfilled New Year!

10 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We are on our first b2b right now, so went thru the in-transit passenger thing yesterday for the first time.  Was fairly quick and painless, met in the DR at 9:15, but they didn't come get us till closer to 9:45 to go off the ship, down to the terminal and waited there maybe 15-20 minutes till they zero'd out the ship.  Then a quick walk by customs with passport out, and back on.

Probably was back on by 10:35.  Seemed simple enough.

Lucky, lucky you.  What ship were you on?  It sounds like they did an excellent job for Back to Back customers.  I wouldn't hesitate to cruise with them on another B/B.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:18 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I walk with a walker and when I was offered a wheel chair, my concern was storage of my walker

The offer of a wheel chair in post #20 to facilitate the process bears repeating. As to the walker, why not leave it in your room with the rest of your stuff

Edited by Ombud

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The offer of a wheel chair in post #20 to facilitate the process bears repeating. As to the walker, why not leave it in your room with the rest of your stuff

Would the rest of my "stuff" mean my Service Dog?  He is really my main concern of the distance that we were asked to travel that morning.  I could and probably should have stopped when I realized the amount of walking that was being asked of us, and requested a wheelchair to continue the journey.  This would not have alleviated the distance for my dog however. 

As I have mentioned, he is significantly important to my cruising and travel, in general, and the safety and ability to do so.

I traveled for many, many years with my wonderful husband, he helped me through my health issues and insured me a great deal of independence.  When he became ill, I took care of him, we took care of each other.  With the assistance of my Service Dogs.  I am now alone, and want to continue to travel.  With the help of my Service Dog I can still travel, shop, dine and enjoy life, as much as can be enjoyed without the love of my life!

I now realize and do understand what I should have done and am much wiser for the experience.  Thank you for your input.  

May I wish you a wonderful holiday season.

Both the cruise lines and CPB are correct, as far as they go.  The CBP controls the where and when the passengers must be screened.  The cruise line controls how to get them there.  With, of course, the impacts of the physical design of the port.

If the CBP says that the cruise line needs to bring them to the normal screening locations, as they seem to have in this case, then that is where the cruise line needs to bring the passengers.  The CBP doesn't care how the cruise line does it, only that the passengers are in the right place, at the right time. 

If anyone is at all concerned about the physical aspects of the process, I can only suggest that they notify customer service of their concerns prior to turn around day. If additional concerns exist, ask during the process.  Of course keep in mind that one must also be flexible in working with the cruise line to try and resolve the issues.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I was not aware that service dogs are unable to walk for an hour

For example a friend of mine has a seeing eye dog that is now 10 years old.  Due to his age he is not as spry as he was when he was younger.  One the other hand he still works well with my friend, who is perfectly willing to allow for his needing more frequent and longer rest stops, in return for all he has done for him over the years. Needless to say they are partners and will remain so as long as possible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I was not aware that service dogs are unable to walk for an hour

It always makes me feel good when I can educate the public as to the different kinds of Service Dogs there are.  My particular Service Dog does not need to traverse difficult terrain or walk long distances.  It's important that he stay by my side and always be alert to my needs.  He is a senior dog and although he's in excellent health, it would be unfair and unnecessary to exert or over work him.  We've worked together for over 9 years and he's NEVER missed an "alert" or "special need" for me.

Some Service Dogs just sit or lay by their handlers side and do very little physical activity but serve a very important purpose in their partners life.

There are dogs who are needed for more physical activities and MUST be able to walk long distances, traverse over uneven pavement, steps, hills and ramps.  They pick up or pull heavy equipment, steady or assist in their handlers physical life and open and close heavy doors.  It would be grossly unfair to ask a senior dog to do such tasks.

Some Service Dogs pull their handlers or tug them along using wheel chairs, leashes or movable devices.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the variables of the Service Dog.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, npcl said:

For example a friend of mine has a seeing eye dog that is now 10 years old.  Due to his age he is not as spry as he was when he was younger.  One the other hand he still works well with my friend, who is perfectly willing to allow for his needing more frequent and longer rest stops, in return for all he has done for him over the years. Needless to say they are partners and will remain so as long as possible.

Dogs are remarkable beings, especially the well trained Service Dog.  It is, as you mentioned, so important that we watch as they get older, to allow for longer resting breaks and to not expect more of them than is fair.

My dog will give me a long stare when he's had enough.  It's my job to be aware that he needs a break or needs a sip of water or whatever.  I adore him and could NEVER pay him back for all the love and companionship that he's given me through our many years together!