Flying in to nyc day of cruise

mamashamiller

14 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

What day of the week? It can take over an hour to get from EWR to the cruise terminal. Time of year? Airports here tend to have a lot of weather delays.

Sunday in February on the bliss

we were going to drive but if the weather is lousy thinking it’s better to fly and get a car service

should I be looking at jfk instead?

thanks for any suggestions 

Edited by mamashamiller

We flew in to EWR early on a Sunday and were in line at Manhattan cruise terminal by 9:45. Took airtrain from terminal, then NJTransit to Penn Station, then cab to the pier. Train was $13 per person each way and cab was around 8-10 bucks per trip.

Highly recommended and likely faster than a car, and way cheaper. Only downside is carrying bags on the train, but we pack pretty light nowadays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mamashamiller said:

Sunday in February on the bliss

we were going to drive but if the weather is lousy thinking it’s better to fly and get a car service

should I be looking at jfk instead?

thanks for any suggestions 

Hi

The thing about "lousy" weather, is that if the weather is lousy either where you are coming from or going to, the flight can easily be delayed or cancelled.

For winter travel, if you are within a day's worth of driving - and your vehicle is fully winterized (i.e. 4 snow tires ... not all-seaon radials) ... AWD and 4WD would be a bonus advantage - IMHO, more reliable tha counting on a short flight to get into NY area airports. 

Nowadays, check the airline/flight info on aircraft/equipment being flown carefully, especially if it is a commuter/regional flight/partner airline using CRJ's - B-717 and alike, those are most prone to cancellations & delays; or, DIVERTED to other nearby airport if airborne & ran into low fuel situations - Philadelphia, Steward, Hartford, etc. to wait for weather to clear.  Blizzard like icing conditions had been known to freeze up the jet bridge, making it difficult for planes to dock at the gate.  Airlines issuing waivers to allow folks to change plans & fly standby - often don't work as most flights are typically near capacity; and, not all carriers cross/endorse each other's e-tickets.  

I concur with flying in a day earlier, just in case - otherwise, make sure your trip is insured against weather delays.  EWR airport also reported to be starting their construction/upgrade ... thus, risk for delays might go up as a general rule - regular fliers should be familiar with the timeline (try check for details over at Flyertalk forum) 

4 hours ago, George C said:

I would never fly in on day of the cruise, if so make sure you buy insurance.

I would never fly into the NYC area the day of the cruise with weather being a possibility. If you must fly catch the earliest flight possible. non stop to arrive before 9am. This gives you a little buffer to cover any minor delays.  Would not fly into JFK. Use EWR or LGA. Kennedy is the furthest away and if it’s really bad weather the main highways into Manhattan have a good chance of backing up.

Thanks everyone I can get a 740am from Boston be there in a hour.  It’s my parents Big anniversary party the day before So have to be around.  
I bought insurance but definitely don’t want to use it

but if a few days out if it looks like weather can play any role I’ll leave earlier

first time on a big ship like the bliss

Edited by mamashamiller
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mamashamiller said:

Thanks everyone I can get a 740am from Boston be there in a hour.

If you're going out of Boston why not just take the Acela? At 3hrs 40min it's basically the same as flying when you factor in going to the airport, security, and ground transportation from the airport to the pier. When I lived in Boston I would mainly take the train because weather very rarely caused an issue and it was just as fast city center to city center as flying. This will drop you off a few blocks from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mamashamiller said:

I never thought of it.  I’ll look into it

thanks!

Amtrak is just about as quick a trip as flying, but no airport check-in/ screening hassle,  minimal risk of weather delay, you get off the thing about 15 minutes away from the pier,  and enjoy far more comfortable seats.

Even for trip back home

What’s to think about?

On 11/27/2019 at 7:54 PM, mamashamiller said:

Am I doing something wrong?acela was really expensive 

north East regional was cheap

I only suggested the Acela because it literally is faster than flying, but the NE Regional will also get the job done just as well, just a little bit slower. 

If the rates you showed are for one person, that it not normal for the Acela. Booked far enough in advance, that 6:05am train you were looking at is usually around $130 per person from Boston South Station to New York Penn. 

9 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I only suggested the Acela because it literally is faster than flying, but the NE Regional will also get the job done just as well, just a little bit slower. 

If the rates you showed are for one person, that it not normal for the Acela. Booked far enough in advance, that 6:05am train you were looking at is usually around $130 per person from Boston South Station to New York Penn. 

the $773 was for 4 seats I should look if there’s a Black Friday sale

hope everyone enjoyed their meal yesterday 

Northeast Regional basic is still much more comfortable than flying - and about as quick, when you figure getting to airport, checking in, security - and the amount of additional time most people crank in “just in case”. (Honestly, how many of us do not allow about an hour for “just in case” - anyone who doesn’t is one day going to really wish he had.)

I doubt there will have been any great “Black Friday” fares -  the important thing is to book as soon as possible, because the lower fare options vanish pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with NE Regional.  Seats are comfortable with more legroom than economy seats on an airline.  You get free WiFi.  There’s a cafe car and restrooms.  You can walk around the train.  It takes a few minutes longer but costs a lot less.

Google “Amtrak NE regional pictures”.  These trains are nothing like the Boston commuter rail!!!

What area do you live in near Boston?  Parking at route 128 is $15/day for overnight.

Edited by 138east

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, 138east said:

Nothing wrong with NE Regional.  Seats are comfortable with more legroom than economy seats on an airline.  You get free WiFi.  There’s a cafe car and restrooms.  You can walk around the train.  It takes a few minutes longer but costs a lot less.

Coming in day before and taking ne regional $49 pp

thanks everyone for getting me to the pier ontime!

Edited by mamashamiller
  • Like 1