Luggage Valet

Cruisegirl6

I had a bag lost but it was later found.  I called the valet service who directed me to call X, was directed to the lost and found dept, filed a claim.  Per a tip on this board, I emailed the CEO, an exec team located my bag four hours later.  Three days later I received an email from lost and found that said no update (lol.  I'm sure this will vary by location but I wonder if its possible to find stats of missing bags.  If it were me, before I'd consider valet again:

1.  Credit cards may have various delayed and/or lost baggage insurance, determine if you have that and go over the terms and conditions to ensure it covers cruise ships and port valet services (my credit card would ONLY cover delayed baggage from airlines), and consider the cost of 3rd party insurance if the credit card doesn't cover it.  I didn’t have a ton of expensive things but things can add up, with tax and alterations I had a suit that totaled $250, $100 pair of shoes and the bag itself was about $125, nearly $500 right there.

2.  Take anything that irreplaceable such as souvenirs with you.  Consider port valet for all your parties check in size bags and consider carrying around backpacks or perhaps one smaller carry on with all the valuable items.

3.  Take pictures of your bag with the valet tags on and a clear picture of the valet tag.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Oh wait, we used a credit that we had with the airline, although we did have to pay a bit more for the new flight so I assume they use that credit card?

If it were me, I feel like regular X customer service doesn’t know and things could be different at each port valet location.  I would wait until you get onboard and speak with guest services as we have to remember rules and policies change all the time.  If they state it’s free ask if they can put a note it that they told you it’s no charge.

Good point in taking the photo of the valet luggage tag.   I never put anything valuable in my luggage and the worse thing I could loose if my luggage went missing is my brand new luggage lol.  I don't mind buying new clothes...actually, I lost weight and I could use some better fitting clothes ha.  Thank you everybody.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I can't be the only person who does not know what Luggage Valet is.  Luggage Valet takes your suitcases when you are leaving the ship and takes them to the airport?

I can only speak for Seattle, I’d imagine there could be some difference between ports.  Assuming your airline participates, the night before disembarkment, you turn in the valet paperwork, put a special valet tag on your bags and put them out your door, the magic happens and they get checked onto the plane allowing you to bypass the ticketing counter at the airport.  As I stated above, I would give the service a shot again once I knew insurance would cover cruises, valet & airlines lost luggage and would not put anything irreplaceable in that luggage.

37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I can't be the only person who does not know what Luggage Valet is.  Luggage Valet takes your suitcases when you are leaving the ship and takes them to the airport?

Luggage Valet in available in three ports, Miami, Seattle, and Ft. Lauderdale. If your airline participates in the program and your flights are within the stated times you can apply on board about halfway through your cruise. If approved you pay $25 pp as well as any applicable airline baggage fees. You receive special luggage tags to put onto your bags the last evening of the cruise as well as your airline boarding pass. Your luggage is taken from your room and you claim it from the luggage carousel at your home airport after you land. You proceed from the ship with any carry on pieces you may have directly to the security gate at the airport and then directly to your gate (Many times your boarding pass will have TSA PreCheck).  It makes disembarkation a breeze.

The cost is $25 pp plus baggage fees.  If you are sharing a cabin and only one person signs up for Luggage Valet only one boarding pass will be provided.  I suppose if you get free baggage because of the airline or your airline status one person could sign up and indicate they had 2 bags.  

One thing that seems to be confusing people is that they believe it’s celebrity employees, and while they’ll carry them off the ship, it’s now port employees that take it to the airport.  Its also worth noting that we were told (In Seattle) that while it’ll be available on most cruises, its not guaranteed to be available on all cruises.

I understand people are looking for info and I hope it’s provided, it’s important to note there isn’t a blanket answer.  There are three different ports, those with airline status, those without airline status but their airline credit card waives baggage fees, all could be all vastly different answers and the rules could change at anytime.  🙂

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

The other way is leave your suitcase in the hallway and pick up in the terminal?  Or keep it with you and take off yourself next day?

Yes. If you take it off yourself you have to do self disembarkation and leave the ship early as well as being able to handle your own luggage without assistance. Alternatively, you can leave it outside your cabin the last night and claim it in the terminal, or apply for Luggage Valet if you and your flights and airlines are eligible.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a weird scenario but appreciate anyone who has knowledge.

Can you do both Luggage Valet and Extend Your Stay.   Would love to send our luggage on it's way and stay aboard as we have a late flight.   I've read some debate on the expensive extend your stay but we get it Free as a Zenith Perk. 

I may call into the Zenith desk and ask if no one knows.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is going to be a weird scenario but appreciate anyone who has knowledge.

Can you do both Luggage Valet and Extend Your Stay.   Would love to send our luggage on it's way and stay aboard as we have a late flight.   I've read some debate on the expensive extend your stay but we get it Free as a Zenith Perk. 

I may call into the Zenith desk and ask if no one knows.

Jim, although we've never done the "Extend Your Stay" we have done Luggage Valet when we disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale where we left the ship at 9:45AM, then gone about doing things in Ft. Lauderdale all day before going to the airport for an 8PM flight home without any issues. I'd think that as long as your return flight was within the time parameters to qualify for the program and the Luggage Valet was offered for your cruise the Extend Your Stay would have no bearing on it. I do know that the Luggage Valet program is only available in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Seattle and isn't usually available after a transatlantic or transpacific cruise.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:15 PM, Luvcrusn said:

Luggage Valet in available in three ports, Miami, Seattle, and Ft. Lauderdale. If your airline participates in the program and your flights are within the stated times you can apply on board about halfway through your cruise. If approved you pay $25 pp as well as any applicable airline baggage fees. You receive special luggage tags to put onto your bags the last evening of the cruise as well as your airline boarding pass. Your luggage is taken from your room and you claim it from the luggage carousel at your home airport after you land. You proceed from the ship with any carry on pieces you may have directly to the security gate at the airport and then directly to your gate (Many times your boarding pass will have TSA PreCheck).  It makes disembarkation a breeze.

Also available at Port Canaveral, at least through RCCL, because I just used it last Sunday without a hitch.

1 hour ago, George C said:

It’s also free on high end suites we did it on rccl and planning on doing it next cruise.   Also I was told it is only offered on 7 day and longer cruises.

Free for everyone on Celebrity in Seattle as long as your flight fell within certain time parameters.  Baggage fees are separate and depending on the airline.