No-Show or hope to be denied boarding

Sunburg1

8 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

And spreading cold gems all over the ship? OP did the right thing to stay home.

Many years ago I worked in a doctor's office and dealt with sick people every day. And NEVER got sick. Not once in several years. I think one's likely to 'catch a cold' walking down the street. And especially playing snot-ridden children 🙂 Where do you draw the line?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clo said:

Many years ago I worked in a doctor's office and dealt with sick people every day. And NEVER got sick. Not once in several years. I think one's likely to 'catch a cold' walking down the street. And especially playing snot-ridden children 🙂 Where do you draw the line?

Since retiring after 15 years (second career) of teaching I haven't had a single cold.  I think people make themselves more susceptible by constantly trying to avoid germs.

1 minute ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Since retiring after 15 years (second career) of teaching I haven't had a single cold.  I think people make themselves more susceptible by constantly trying to avoid germs.

OMG, I totally agree! I drink tap water in "third world nations." I think we must have self-immunized ourselves.

2 hours ago, clo said:

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Beyond susceptibility, how it affects different people is also highly variable.  When Mrs Ldubs gets a cold, it is like a minor nuisance.  When I get a cold it knocks me off my feet.  I don't get much sympathy. Lol   

12 hours ago, Sunburg1 said:

Next time I will be sure to sit at you table, sneeze, cough continually an blow my nose all through the meals.

If I traveled with a cold I wouldn't do that but I also wouldn't cancel my trip for a cold, either.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm with sparks1093.  I might take more meals in-cabin (room service) until I was feeling better, but would still take the cruise and let someone else cook and clean for me while I got some good, uninterrupted rest.

Absolutely.  I could stay in my cabin, watch tv, read, get my meals delivered. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 4:10 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Agreed.

The immune system needs exercise like the other body systems.

There are several studies linking adult onset allergies and asthma to growing up too clean.

I have had less minor illnesses since I started traveling internationally a LOT.  And I do not take any extraordinary steps when traveling.  I do not eat raw things, and wash my hands, but no hand sanitizer.

• Like 1

We're leaving for a world cruise in 19 days.  Yaa.  I am bring some medical masks as I'm sure that either I will get sick or there will people on board who will get sick.  Or we'll pick something up in a port.  Either way, I plan to be one of the hypochondriac looking people walking around in a mask.  But I would never cancel for a cold.  

We haven't had to fill out the health questionnaire for a couple of years.  Personally, I would not cancel for a cold, and I don't think the cruise line would deny boarding either.

Although I have allergies (mostly under control), I have not had a cold in many years--probably due to being an elementary teacher for 20 years.  I completely believe that our immune systems grow stronger with 'practice' and that a too-clean environment actually can end up back-firing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I have not had a cold in many years--probably due to being an elementary teacher for 20 years.  I completely believe that our immune systems grow stronger with 'practice' and that a too-clean environment actually can end up back-firing.

Yeap.