Ovation of the Seas Pax Possibly Injured in Volcanic Eruption

SeaHunt

2 hours ago, lissie said:

It was - I was on that tour 3 weeks ago - that's how you get on and off the island - the wharf wasn't wrecked  yesterday - and its very  tidal - so you have to get on and off the island using the zodiac and either ladders and ropes to the shore.  

Pulled this screen grab from one of the Twitter videos taken by someone already on a boat who was heading back as the eruption was happening - sorry it's hard to see (tried to lighten it) - but does this look like what you're describing above as far as getting on and off the island? 

volcano (3).jpg

5 hours ago, bretts173 said:

People jump from planes, many people die in helicopter and small plane crashes every year.  A man died snorkelling just last week in the caribbean. 

And in helicopter and small plane crashes, likely the company operating - and shore excursion if applicable - would be held liable for that.

There's a big difference between a risk you take in doing something yourself, as you gave with snorkelling and skydiving, from when a tour is operated by someone else and you rely on their judgement.

Clause 5 from the cruise contract:

"5. SHORE EXCURSIONS, TOURS, FACILITIES OR OTHER TRANSPORTATION: All arrangements made for or by Passenger for transportation (other than on the Vessel) before, during or after the Cruise or CruiseTour of any kind whatsoever, as well as air arrangements, shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions and other similar activities or services, including all related conveyances, products or facilities, are made solely for Passenger's convenience and are at Passenger's risk. The providers, owners and operators of such services, conveyances, products and facilities are independent contractors and are not acting as agents or representatives of Carrier. Even though Carrier may collect a fee for, or otherwise profit from, making such arrangements and offers for sale shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions, the Land Tour and other similar activities or services taking place off the Vessel for a profit, it does not undertake to supervise or control such independent contractors or their employees, nor maintain their conveyances or facilities, and makes no representation, whether express or implied, regarding their suitability or safety. In no event shall Carrier be liable for any loss, delay, disappointment, damage, injury, death or other harm whatsoever to Passenger which occurs on or off the Vessel or the Transport as a result of any acts, omissions or negligence of any independent contractors."

59 minutes ago, BND said:

They set up a number in the US for people in the US.    Do you honestly think that Australia and NZ aren't working it on their end?

Not think, know. There was no number announced (or anything else), nor responses to posts on social media here.

Do you honestly think they have the same approach to things in the rest of the world that they do in the US?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Pulled this screen grab from one of the Twitter videos taken by someone already on a boat who was heading back as the eruption was happening - sorry it's hard to see (tried to lighten it) - but does this look like what you're describing above as far as getting on and off the island? 

volcano (3).jpg

Yes this is the one and only access point as far as I know - I took a photo from the other side - ie looking back out to it. You can see the boats are quite close - this is where the anchor the whole time people are on the island.  I was very seasick - so was one of the first off our boat and turned around to take this picture 

DMC-GX85 - P1080394.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coralc said:

@lissieAnd I have another question lissie, since you were just there and as a geologist. Is that the old mining equipment and structure in your photos from White Island? Fascinating photos. 

Yes - they were sulphur mining on the island  about 100 years ago.  The wood  is completely preserved - the acidic envirnoment is good for it - while the metal  and concrete is badly destroyed. https://www.geonet.org.nz/about/volcano/whiteisland 

DMC-GX85 - P1080450.JPG

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

Because they don't understand  that you can't sue for an accident in NZ - we have no-fault accident insurance here - got rid of the ambulance chasers many, many years ago. ACC does have its down sides but a time like this you realise how wonderfully it works - all those people in hospital - they aren't paying for it (nor are  their insurance companies - if they have one) - its paid by the NZ tax payer. 

Thank you.  We are similar to NZ accident policies and hospital coverage for all in Canada.

Prayers for all involved.  Enough said.  Please take care.

• Like 1

I live in Whakatane and White Island is just of our shores.  I work in the hospital where these poor victims were triaged and treated - my colleagues fought to keep the survivors alive and our small town is reeling!!  I find it really distressing that whilst there are still bodies lying on the island awaiting recovery and critically injured people are fighting for their lives that there are people on here discussing blame!!  Now is not the time for this - now is the time for prayers and hope.  

• Like 83
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, HappyEmeritus said:

If you are in the crater of an active volcano and it has a gas event you will die.  It does not take an eruption.  What you call a gas mask is a filter mask.  It is useless if the air is unbreathable.  Fire fighters wear breathing apparatus not gas masks.    I’m a diver, been to active volcanos, published on volcanic ash and flight safety, done risk analysis and worn breathing apparatus in fires.  This was an uncontrolled, unpredictable and extraordinary risk.  

I was only just repeating what I had read and been told by others I know who have done this exact tour and fortunately for them this didn't happen. 

3 minutes ago, eric2011 said:

Ovation scheduled to depart Tauranga bound for Wellington at 11.00am tomorrow 11th Dec local time. Cant really see it going into Wellington but that is what is reported

It comes into Wellington regularly - it was here a couple of weeks ago (source: I live in Wellington). I think  they may have been scheduled to stop in Napier - but have skipped that to get back on schedule. Note sure what else you'd expect them to do? 

10 minutes ago, Twinkd said:

I live in Whakatane and White Island is just of our shores.  I work in the hospital where these poor victims were triaged and treated - my colleagues fought to keep the survivors alive and our small town is reeling!!  I find it really distressing that whilst there are still bodies lying on the island awaiting recovery and critically injured people are fighting for their lives that there are people on here discussing blame!!  Now is not the time for this - now is the time for prayers and hope.  

Kia Ora from Sydney. Our best wishes to you & all the good folk in Whakatane & Bay of Plenty region. It is a terrible event for all.

As for the keyboard experts - don't worry about them. They and there postings are not worth a momentary thought - what crass people (see I chose the nicest word I could) write is of no consequence apart from in their own little mind.

In moments of tragedy (and our poor cousins in NZ have had more than their fair share in recent years) we see people that rise to meet the needs of others. In this tragic event we have heard of rescuers rushing in to save others, regular tour passengers working to save the lives of victims in the tour boat, and wonderful people working in the hospitals to treat the victims. This is what humanity is all about.

Take care all. 

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

Kia Ora from Sydney. Our best wishes to you & all the good folk in Whakatane & Bay of Plenty region. It is a terrible event for all.

As for the keyboard experts - don't worry about them. They and there postings are not worth a momentary thought - what crass people (see I chose the nicest word I could) write is of no consequence apart from in their own little mind.

In moments of tragedy (and our poor cousins in NZ have had more than their fair share in recent years) we see people that rise to meet the needs of others. In this tragic event we have heard of rescuers rushing in to save others, regular tour passengers working to save the lives of victims in the tour boat, and wonderful people working in the hospitals to treat the victims. This is what humanity is all about.

Take care all. 

Thank you for your compassion! 💖

• Like 7

Just watching the news and the NZ police commissioners talk

and this

27 out of the 31 survivors have more than 30% body burns with most having inhalation burns   The NZ hospital they are in said they have done more burns treatment in one day than they normally do in a year

My inlaws are on the cruise and had considered that excursion.. until my wife convinced them to go to Hobbiton instead.  It really hits home and seems like a freak natural event.  It really puts things in perspective and we're very appreciative of the support they've received.  I'm also thinking of the families who lost loved one's during this holiday season.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Schonert said:

That is indeed an excellent site. Criminal Proceedings have been launched. I suspect that at this stage it’s purely exploratory. As would be expected. 

Lissie, thank you for sharing your knowledge and the information you have on both White Island and New Zealand.  This whole event is a terrible thing and we need to leave at that for now.  People are dead, people are seriously injured, people are traumatized and those people need our support in anyway we can give it.  

Life is full of risks. We face them every day and every day we have to make our ownrisk assessments.  When I was younger I did things I might not do today.  I drove on ice and snowy roads, I flew in small airplanes and smaller helicopters.  I went in small boats in big water, without really checking the weatherand I visited active colcanos in Hawaii and Italy and I am still here after 73 years. Yes, I had some scares, some nasty bumps and bruises but the choices were mine and I have to own them.  Now is not the time to judge others, now is the time to do what we can to support them.  (Putting my soap box away again)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

If any family members or friends of people who have passed are reading this you have my condolences. I am a Christian (Anglican, specifically) and if you accept them you have my prayers. Regardless, you have my thoughts.

This is absolutely tragic. I am so, so sorry.

Additionally I feel for the people of NZ. We are regular visitors (we're Aussies) and we love your country and people.

• Like 8