Ovation of the Seas Pax Possibly Injured in Volcanic Eruption

SeaHunt

8 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I did not see any cruise ship tenders in the footage, just zodiacs and tour boats.  I did see an abandoned helicopter sitting near the area the zodiacs were loading survivors up.

all we know I guess is that passengers made their way there somehow unless a tour company collected them from the ship itself  from a nearby pier 

does anyone else know if RCCL did offer the excursions ?

Edited by oceanwavegirl

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

thanks Living on the beach now we have a better understanding of what was offered the passengers 

33 minutes ago, oceanwavegirl said:

am I wrong in saying that was  a ships tender taking the passengers away from the area ? 

Where on earth did you get that from. The island is around 70 klm from where the Ovation is docked over the open seas

Edited by eric2011

3 hours ago, fin said:

This is a tough one! Far from being a "bubble baby" and expecting Da Gummint to keep me totally safe from anything on earth including words that might hurt my feelings, I am sure that had I been on that cruise I would have signed up to go.

I was not specifically aware of the fact that it is impossible for trained volcanologists to predict an eruption. My "feelings" would have been that any 'danger' was more "Disney" than 'Real" and just part of the fun. I would have thought that a reputable cruise line like Royal Carib would never subject their passengers to real known danger, and that the folks running the tours there every day would not be putting their own lives in danger if they felt it was unsafe.

I will be curious to see how the legal end plays out (if it doesn't take a dozen or more years).  And I cannot begin to imagine the feelings of the guy who took the now undoubtedly viral video 20 minutes after he was there.

Are you aware that accidents can occur on roads and people can die?  People can and do die on NZ roads - guess no cruise ship should allow anyone  to take a trip from  a port that involves a bus or car? 

There won't be a legal end to play out. New Zealand has a no fault accident compensation scheme. All  those injured will be treated, for free by the NZ health system.   The other side of the bargain is that you cannot sue for an accident in New Zealand law. This applies to visitors not just locals. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

The Ovation does not have tenders on board.

Ovation has six lifeboats that are dual purpose and function as tenders when required.  They also have two fast zodiac style rescue craft.  

The tour operator White Island Tours Ltd claimed the black zodiac seen in some pictures taking people off the island was one of theirs.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lissie said:

Are you aware that accidents can occur on roads and people can die?  People can and do die on NZ roads - guess no cruise ship should allow anyone  to take a trip from  a port that involves a bus or car? 

There won't be a legal end to play out. New Zealand has a no fault accident compensation scheme. All  those injured will be treated, for free by the NZ health system.   The other side of the bargain is that you cannot sue for an accident in New Zealand law. This applies to visitors not just locals. 

Thanks lissie. I was born and breed in Tauranga and my wife was born in Whakatane. As you would know both these cities are a stones throw from the Island. Even thou we left for a better life more than 30 years ago we are both very sad for the NZ people and another disaster which has been thrown at the NZ people.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oceanwavegirl said:

all we know I guess is that passengers made their way there somehow unless a tour company collected them from the ship itself  from a nearby pier 

Its about an hour drive from the cruise port to Whakatane - where the White Isl tours go from. The company that does the tour offers bus transfers from both Tauranga (the cruise port) and Rotorua - so it was probably they who did the transfer. 

Its also entirely possible that people on the cruise book direct with the tour company - it was cheaper (NZ$260 from memory - we did it a few weeks ago) - and easy to do with an internet connect and a credit card. I am guessing that's why its taking so long to confirm who exactly was on the trip. 

You can also helicopter in rather than take the boat - the helicopter  wrecked in some of the footage would have had a small group of maybe 4? - I heard news reports that they all survived inc the pilot and were taken off by the tour boat who was anchored in the bay with a load of passengers who had just finished - and which were the first responders going back for survivors. - again footage on twitter originally 

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ovation has six lifeboats that are dual purpose and function as tenders when required.  They also have two fast zodiac style rescue craft.  

The tour operator White Island Tours Ltd claimed the black zodiac seen in some pictures taking people off the island was one of theirs.  

It was - I was on that tour 3 weeks ago - that's how you get on and off the island - the wharf wasn't wrecked  yesterday - and its very  tidal - so you have to get on and off the island using the zodiac and either ladders and ropes to the shore. 

The Ovation was nowhere near White Island. 

6 minutes ago, lissie said:

Its about an hour drive from the cruise port to Whakatane - where the White Isl tours go from. The company that does the tour offers bus transfers from both Tauranga (the cruise port) and Rotorua - so it was probably they who did the transfer. 

Its also entirely possible that people on the cruise book direct with the tour company - it was cheaper (NZ$260 from memory - we did it a few weeks ago) - and easy to do with an internet connect and a credit card. I am guessing that's why its taking so long to confirm who exactly was on the trip. 

You can also helicopter in rather than take the boat - the helicopter  wrecked in some of the footage would have had a small group of maybe 4? - I heard news reports that they all survived inc the pilot and were taken off by the tour boat who was anchored in the bay with a load of passengers who had just finished - and which were the first responders going back for survivors. - again footage on twitter originally 

Hi Lissie I recall the day cruising around the island on the Celebrity Mercury with great views 

just so unfortunate thanks for all of the information Love your beautiful country !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oceanwavegirl said:

If it is the case that RCCL sold those tours to the passengers (middle man or not) Im sure the lawyers representing the passengers families will be organising a please explain memo to RCCL 

am I wrong in saying that was  a ships tender taking the passengers away from the area ? 

Warning at a level 2 ? 

https://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=302663

here is current advice Level 2 is the highest alert level before an eruption takes place, and indicates "moderate to heightened volcanic unrest" with the "potential for eruption hazards". ... The update concluded: "The volcano may be entering a period where eruptive activity is more likely than normal."1 hour ago

From your article: 

However, it noted: "An eruption may occur at any level, and levels may not move in sequence as activity can change rapidly."

No clear indication 'violent eruption' was on its way

Despite the increasing activity, structural geology expert Chris Elders told the ABC the eruption was "very unexpected".

"The increase in activity that had been observed was relatively low-level, just more of a release of gas and sulphur, not a clear indication that such a violent eruption was to take place," he said.

"Very violent eruptions like this are relatively rare, or occur during widely-spaced intervals.

Summary: You take your chances when touring an active volcano. Unfortunately, I don't think that many tourists truly consider this when booking these excursions. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

In retrospect, that is chilling to read. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oceanwavegirl said:

You know or you guess?

This is not the time to continue making assumptions

I am so saddened by the tragic event and have found myself thinking of the dead and their families all day today.  

I do find the idea of liability to be an interesting one.  I am not a lawyer, but I'm married to one and understand something about liability.  It's not always what you think.  While it could be that Admiralty Law will apply or the laws of a foreign land, in the United States, liability concerns duty, then breach of duty, followed by causation and then damages.  In other words, if RC was selling an excursion to the volcanic island, they are assuming a duty and there could be a breach of that duty depending on circumstances.  If RC was not selling this excursion, then they would not be liable.  

But I do agree with others that at this time, we are most concerned with the loss of life and the tragedy of the event.  It's just silly to argue on this board at this time.  Everyone is sad and people express that in different ways.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, greykitty said:

Hawaii is the site of several active volcanos - in fact, a National Park is located at one.  I guess no one should go there ever.

I have been to the top of the volcano in Hawaii numerous times.  You can see the glow from the lava in the center if you go when it is dark. There is a hotel at the top.  I am very low risk (I don't do any helicopter or flying excursions).  But the thing that I don't understand is that: in many volcanoes I know, they are studied & have an idea of an eruption (Hawaii Volcano, even Mt St Helens-they had an idea).  Isn't this volcano studied?  Very sad for those involved.  Many had just completed a tour.

13 hours ago, atricks said:

Royal's crisis line has been opened and we'll be updating it with more info as it becomes available. For anyone trying to reach family or crew, they can call 888-829-4050

source:

Pretty sad they set this up in the US, but didn't even worry about Australia/NZ, where most passengers were from.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Pretty sad they set this up in the US, but didn't even worry about Australia/NZ, where most passengers were from.

They set up a number in the US for people in the US.    Do you honestly think that Australia and NZ aren't working it on their end?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bretts173 said:

The facts are that the alert level constantly changes between level 1 and 2 and has been for the past 20 years. There are always minor steam, and sulphur eruptions which adds to the attraction of the tour for the many who have MADE THEIR CHOICE to take the tour. The tour itself is promoted as a visit to the crater of one of the worlds most active volcanos.

I myself did this tour 12 months ago.

OK, so you're saying they all went there knowing they could die there, and they got that outcome, and the cruise line should be fine to have that happen. Got it.

4 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I read thru the last 5 pages and I want to ask, I could have just missed it but-------

Where is the Ovation at this time?

Thanks

In Tauranga, New Zealand,  where they ported. They are staying overnight, to my understanding. 

Edited by joeyancho
Add content