email received saying we are owed money from ncl trip 18 months ago is it a scam?

ace2542

We have received an email claiming to be from  an Sr. Accounts Receivable Team Leader based in Wiesbaden in Germany.  They are claiming they we are owed $164 from our cruise in May 2018. They have the correct ship and cruise sailing.

To receive the money they are requesting that we email back with the Account Holder Name, IBAN and BIC so that the outstanding money (unused onboard credit can be sent to us) within 15 working days. 

They also offer the following website www.nclhltd.com

Is this a scam?.

The person is based in Germany and has an out of office and email and a direct line in Germany with a voicemail message.

I  attempted to contact NCL on the number on google but the person there was not much help and did not speak good english.

What are your opnions please.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ace2542

its a spam, its seems weird they are linking to the NCL investor website instead of the main site

any kind of bank wire transfer is always fishy and should be a major red flag

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BlasianGrl said:

It sounds like a scam.  Did you ask them WHY you were owed the money?  Tell them to email you an NCL credit instead.  If it's legit - they'll do that.

Thanks for the reply.

They say the owed money is unspent onboard credit from our trip on board the Jade last May 2018.

How long is the NCL Credit good for?. We may not be back on NCL for some time.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Thanks for the reply.

They say the owed money is unspent onboard credit from our trip on board the Jade last May 2018.

How long is the NCL Credit good for?. We may not be back on NCL for some time.

I honestly believe it's a scam.  NCL would send you a check - which they're not going to to anyway for unused OBC.  Did you call NCL?

30 minutes ago, BlasianGrl said:

I honestly believe it's a scam.  NCL would send you a check - which they're not going to to anyway for unused OBC.  Did you call NCL?

I emailed them (the" scammers") back and said just send me the check or add as a future cruise credit. And said I would contact NCL direct in UK if they did not reply. That will get them worrying! 😄

I have contacted NCL uk direct but you can't really get much sense out of them the person I spoke with did not speak good english.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

OP, if I were you I would do a full virus scan of my computer.

Agree, they did say they opened an email from these folks.....when in doubt, don't open emails or attachments from unknown sources.  

• Like 1

Rule of thumb: legitimate businesses don’t email customers asking for their bank account information, especially claiming they are going to put money into the customer’s account. 

OP: I am wondering how the scammer got your contact info AND the info that you were on that specific cruise.  Did you post any identification info or contact info on your Roll Call? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Rule of thumb: legitimate businesses don’t email customers asking for their bank account information, especially claiming they are going to put money into the customer’s account. 

OP: I am wondering how the scammer got your contact info AND the info that you were on that specific cruise.  Did you post any identification info or contact info on your Roll Call? 

We did go on that cruise and they did have our booking reference number though not our latitudes number(s). I will contact NCL directly and report the scamming email.

NEVER, EVER send bank account information (or other personal information) to ANYONE who requests it unless YOU INITIATED THE CALL/ EMAIL or CONTACT.

If you ever get an email, call or letter asking for information like this, do NOT contact them with the information THEY provided.  Instead, go online to the actual company website and contact someone that way to find out if it is legitimate.

This one definitely isn't.

• Like 2

A little update.

I contacted NCL accounts team directly and they confirm that there is an outstanding balance on the account. I contacted NCL customer service team in UK who give me the email address so it cannot be a scam. I will get the money back after all.

Thank you for the assistance.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ace2542 said:

A little update.

I contacted NCL accounts team directly and they confirm that there is an outstanding balance on the account. I contacted NCL customer service team in UK who give me the email address so it cannot be a scam. I will get the money back after all.

Good to know and happy for you but why did they need your bank info to process a refund?   Why not just send you a check.  If they have your booking number, surely they have your address.  Seems odd in this day and age, any legit company would not ask for someone's banking info.  Wonder how many people get this kind of e-mail and assume it is a scam and move on without ever getting their owed money...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Good to know and happy for you but why did they need your bank info to process a refund?   Why not just send you a check. 

NCL once sent me a check but my bank didn't accepted it so I wasn't able to get the cash. Maybe checks is an American thing?

On 12/9/2019 at 9:21 AM, ace2542 said:

I emailed them (the" scammers") back and said just send me the check or add as a future cruise credit. And said I would contact NCL direct in UK if they did not reply. That will get them worrying! 😄

I have contacted NCL uk direct but you can't really get much sense out of them the person I spoke with did not speak good english.

NCL UK, not good English; the irony is way too funny.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:59 AM, ace2542 said:

A little update.

Would love it if you'd let us know when you receive the cheque, please.  I'd never give anyone my bank info., way too many scams going on.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Sadly, folks fall for this stuff... 😞

So true!  I hear this all the time where people get phone calls asking for their personal information to settle IRS debt, their Social Security Account will be closed (how does one get their SS account closed and why?), etc.

Usually after the fact, they want to know if they’ve been scammed.

This is just another in a long line of “scams”.  

Great rule of thumb....if it sounds like a scam (like if you have to ask the question), it probably is a scam!

• Like 3