Update on Royal Albatross web cam at Dunedin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Checked out the webcam this afternoon and recorded her going for a wander and expressing interest in the webcam. She's grown quite a bit, the fluffy baby feathers are mostly gone and it probably won't be long now until she starts flying 🙂

Just read on the website there is a competition to name her and a shortlist will be open for voting from 19 to 26 August.

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update.

Makes you realise how big these birds are ,and she only a chick.

Had a pair of big birds stop over in my garden this week for a drink from the bird bath. The NZ native pigeon ,Kereru, is a very large bird,as big as a chicken and makes a whoosh sound as it flies . 

5A65D589-3E11-4247-BF05-E31643DC3A1B.thumb.jpeg.9ee52747657c3f2abcb5b39c4eae1fdd.jpeg

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer
  • Like 3

Papa has just been in for a feed. And a big milestone for all chicks today - they are banded. The rangers are having a bit of a rough time apparently, it is VERY windy up there ... Banding video to follow 🙂

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

Thanks boeckli for the videos.  I usually check in on her each day.  Saw her getting weighed last week.  It is when you see her being held by the rangers that you get an idea of how large she is.

I love to see her testing her wings and then standing with them outstretched allowing the wind to blow under them.  Looks like she is dreaming of soaring aloft.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Someone did a screen capture this morning. Ranger Sharyn has not yet confirmed it was Atawhai. My screen shot first, shows the bird up in the air.

Very graceful take off and sailed around for about a minute (nerd watching, yes).

7518B123-7F06-465B-9F56-7A1F6540730B.thumb.png.e352b16f3fe979e8cca98b3899945c3c.png

A444D307-8429-48A3-BC45-17D981CDC012.thumb.png.c830a30b1456f93a734a4bafcc04c677.png

Do I detect a bit of hesitation? She appears to be looking to where she might have to land if her first flight does not go well.🙂