Take towels off the ship?

palolake

28 minutes ago, palolake said:

This is our first cruise on HAL.  I'm wondering if they allow pool towels to be taken off the ship.  I understand that some lines don't allow it which I never would have thought!

There are special towels in your cabin that are intended to be taken off the ship.

Just be sure to bring them back or you will have a charge levied to your on board account 😉 

• Like 1

Once you use the beach towels, leave them on the floor of your stateroom and they will be replaced with clean ones.  If you don't return the towels at the end of the cruise (not found in your room), you will be charged somewhere around $30 per towel.

Edited by Nanner

On 12/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, Nanner said:

Once you use the beach towels, leave them on the floor of your stateroom and they will be replaced with clean ones.  If you don't return the towels at the end of the cruise (not found in your room), you will be charged somewhere around $30 per towel.

How does that square with when they collect towels as you come back onboard rather? Or has HAL stopped offering that convenience nowadays?

35 minutes ago, jb008 said:

How does that square with when they collect towels as you come back onboard rather? Or has HAL stopped offering that convenience nowadays?

You take them back to your cabin and put on floor in bathroom-they’re replaced  that night by room steward.  We have never had ours collected when we come back on board.

7 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

You take them back to your cabin and put on floor in bathroom-they’re replaced  that night by room steward.  We have never had ours collected when we come back on board.

I know some cruises they've had bins to collect wet & dirty towels right by the security checkpoint.  I can't guarantee it was HAL though, could have been Princess or X I guess.  

I ended up nicking some of the pool towels and taking those ashore since my blue and white striped ones never got replaced on Oosterdam last year... but I also didn't get fined.  <shrug>  Not sure how they'd track that though since those blue and white ones also get used on the pool deck by people.  

26 minutes ago, jb008 said:

I know some cruises they've had bins to collect wet & dirty towels right by the security checkpoint.  I can't guarantee it was HAL though, could have been Princess or X I guess.  

I ended up nicking some of the pool towels and taking those ashore since my blue and white striped ones never got replaced on Oosterdam last year... but I also didn't get fined.  <shrug>  Not sure how they'd track that though since those blue and white ones also get used on the pool deck by people.  

We ran into that on celebrity in March-they had bins as we got in board & I asked what about the fee if it’s not in my cabin-they said not to worry.  

We’ve had it on HAL where they didn’t replace them at the night turndown and had to phone to get some.  Hit & miss with room stewards  but they’re generally very good.

The people that take the striped towels to the pool must be newbies!! 

16 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We ran into that on celebrity in March-they had bins as we got in board & I asked what about the fee if it’s not in my cabin-they said not to worry.  

We’ve had it on HAL where they didn’t replace them at the night turndown and had to phone to get some.  Hit & miss with room stewards  but they’re generally very good.

The people that take the striped towels to the pool must be newbies!! 

I didn't see anything about a fee for not returning a towel when we did our HAL holiday sail last year.  Is that new, or just poorly advertised?

Newbies or they're fans of the striped toga look? 😛

10 minutes ago, jb008 said:

I didn't see anything about a fee for not returning a towel when we did our HAL holiday sail last year.  Is that new, or just poorly advertised?

Newbies or they're fans of the striped toga look? 😛

Lol!!

The striped towels in the stateroom on the first day have paper wrapped around them which I think (used to) have the amount it would cost if not returned.  

One was in my cabin first night out before HMC, and even though we were in Caribbean, it sat on my nightstand entire cruise.  I didn’t go to HMC nor any beach excursions entire cruise. But it was there, if I had used, I know I would have another clean towel in replacement.

Think there was some sort of notice about there being a charge if not returned.

14 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

The striped towels in the stateroom on the first day have paper wrapped around them which I think (used to) have the amount it would cost if not returned.  

I'll have to keep an eye out for that.  I didn't see that on Oosterdam, and the towel fee thing along with the associated towel sign out system was one of the items that really turned me off sailing RCL.  In fact, they ended their ~$25 towel no-return fee shortly after we sailed with them (12/2013).  Took me like 15 minutes to get a towel in the AM and we nearly missed our excursion because I didn't know to budget time for signing out a darn towel.

7 minutes ago, jb008 said:

I'll have to keep an eye out for that.  I didn't see that on Oosterdam, and the towel fee thing along with the associated towel sign out system was one of the items that really turned me off sailing RCL.  In fact, they ended their ~$25 towel no-return fee shortly after we sailed with them (12/2013).  Took me like 15 minutes to get a towel in the AM and we nearly missed our excursion because I didn't know to budget time for signing out a darn towel.

It’s funny because we just got off a 2 week cruise to Mexico on the Oosterdam and it’s second hand to me about the striped towels-wish I had taken a photo (took lots but not of those-go figure).    

I did find an old photo-not great but it shows the paper around the towel.  In all honesty, I just tear it off now and haven’t read it for a few years.  I think HAL is pretty easy going on the striped towel issue so maybe they haven’t had many taken.

F6AB703E-D345-4263-86AC-B8136F76494C.jpeg

2 hours ago, jb008 said:

HAL used to do that before they introduced the striped "going ashore" towels.

41 minutes ago, palolake said:

So what do the pool towels look like?

I am pretty certain they are a solid purple

12 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

HAL used to do that before they introduced the striped "going ashore" towels.

I am pretty certain they are a solid purple

I thought they were a solid navy, which had been washed in something that ruined the color. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I thought they were a solid navy, which had been washed in something that ruined the color. 

I have to agree with you Ruth. All the years and it has been many I have only seen solid navy blue and some that were faded!

Have a great Holiday and enjoy chocolates! LOL

Denise😊

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bennybear said:

On the Koningsdam  they were tropical blue, green and coral.  

I remember seeing the green, coral and light blue at the “indoor” pool ...can’t even remember the aft pool towels which we used!  Memory...fading 😳

DF3B6BF7-E6CC-40D5-B91D-09420154371F.png

Edited by canadianbear
Add photo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1