Cruising with Jane McDonald on the Silver Noname

Silver Spectre

Having watched Channel 5’s Friday night program, the question to SS is why, and what do SS get out of it. The ship’s logo and name are edited out in every shot, even the official tour guide’s boards are wiped. There is no name check and nothing in the credits. Ok, the ship is recognisable to the cognoscenti but otherwise it’s just a JM travel blog in a nameless ship.

Perhaps someone from SS marketing could let us have an answer.

14 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Perhaps someone from SS marketing could let us have an answer.

You’re certainly not the only person to wonder what SS gets out of the program.  Doubt you’ll hear from any SS folks here.  May want to try their Facebook page.  

My question is, what is the purpose of the program for the person/company who created it?

Very strange as she names every other ship in the previous 3 episodes. She also goes to great lengths to reminisce about her previous cruises on the ship with her mother but still does not name the ship. Perhaps there was a falling out between SS and Ch5 between filming and airing the episode so ch5 banished everything SS. We will all have to wait with bated breath to see if someone can solve the mystery. SS don't even mention the show in their press release section.

.... and those in the know would know as they probably had a card from SS to tell them it was on?
Am I right in thinking they did allow the name  to be shown when the Muse was on ..... the last time SS was shown in the series?

I would echo all that is said above and am surprised that Silversea wishes to be a Partner in such a Broadcast for which they would seem to get nothing in return. There was nothing to attract one to the Ship as so little of it was shown and it was ironic that the Advert between the two halves majored on the luxuries to be found on a Regent Cruise !!!!!!

The reference to her Mother sailing on The Shadow in the past was somewhat odd as the Picture shown was to my mind displaying a Funnel that was not a Silversea Ship ?? - all in all a very strange Programme.

56 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I'm just stunned that any of you managed to sit through such drivel.

I tried to watch one of her programs - can't remember if it was on an SS ship but I think it might have been - and had to switch off very rapidly before she drove me insane. 

Could not find the actual show but I did look.

Found others she had done but only to watch a small bit which was quite enough to get the flavour. 

I can say I am envious that she is paid for such a gig.

• Like 1

If it looked like it was in the Falklands we were on that cruise. They commandeered a large table in the middle of the restaurant.

Had the captain sitting in the middle. She got up and left after about 10 minutes of shooting.

I remember this because her & her crew took up most of the spots on a penguin tour that we & other paying passengers missed out on.

Glad someone else noticed that the Cruise Line and Ship name wasn't mentioned.  I also commented about that at the time.

Some sort of conspiracy? Other ships always are mentioned. Maybe she just doesn't like SS?

Certainly Silver Muse was named, along with the rather odd behaviour because her suite had a corridor.

Putting that aside, it was one of her better "blogs", though such a shame a TV company can't have someone highlight ships and itineraries in an informative and entertaining way instead of tagging along with someone plugging herself instead of what everyone (bar her fan club) really wants to see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zqtchas said:

If it looked like it was in the Falklands we were on that cruise. They commandeered a large table in the middle of the restaurant.

Had the captain sitting in the middle. She got up and left after about 10 minutes of shooting.

I remember this because her & her crew took up most of the spots on a penguin tour that we & other paying passengers missed out on.

It was on the Shadow in the Med sometime prior to the refit.

Jane is a neighbour of ours,very well liked and respected and does a lot of positive things in the area for the benefit of others less fortunate than herself.She is a popular entertainer whose tours are always sell outs and the occasional show we have been to has left us with smiles on our faces having enjoyed the evening.

I feel that Silversea top management is at fault for not taking advantage of the marketing opportunities from being involved with a TV series that generates high audience figures rather than Jane be criticised as a performer merely pursuing her extremely successful career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, brimary said:

Jane is a neighbour of ours,very well liked and respected and does a lot of positive things in the area for the benefit of others less fortunate than herself.She is a popular entertainer whose tours are always sell outs and the occasional show we have been to has left us with smiles on our faces having enjoyed the evening.

I feel that Silversea top management is at fault for not taking advantage of the marketing opportunities from being involved with a TV series that generates high audience figures rather than Jane be criticised as a performer merely pursuing her extremely successful career.

Geez Brimary

I merely said I was envious of her gig!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've only seen her a couple of times on inflight entertainment and have enjoyed her programs. In my opinion, it is certainly not hi-brow entertainment but she has a kind, gentle and non-exploitive approach to people and an excellent sense of humor.  She would be good company and leaves me with pleasant warm feeling.

• Like 1

Each to their own.

And for my own, I still say she's not everyone's cup of tea, she's definitely not mine. But then, I enjoy some types of entertainment that others may not.

In person she may well be very pleasant when she's not performing to generate the maximum 'entertainment' (cringe, me). Most performers have a public and private persona.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

Good Afternoon Brimary - I was not aware that Jane McDonald has such VIP Neighbours !! - What you say about her Charitable Works is not surprising and very praiseworthy - she comes over as a genuine and friendly Person.

I feel any lack of worthwhile Publicity for Silversea must lie with them as surely they would have insisted on Viewing the Piece before Broadcast ? - Perhaps Barbara Muckerman was involved following her success with recent Venetian Surveys ??

• Like 1

D

1 hour ago, Mayflower1 said:

Good Afternoon Brimary - I was not aware that Jane McDonald has such VIP Neighbours !! - What you say about her Charitable Works is not surprising and very praiseworthy - she comes over as a genuine and friendly Person.

I feel any lack of worthwhile Publicity for Silversea must lie with them as surely they would have insisted on Viewing the Piece before Broadcast ? - Perhaps Barbara Muckerman was involved following her success with recent Venetian Surveys ??

Agree with the Muckerman theory.Silversea have missed an open goal for the lack of publicly for our favourite line.Hope you enjoy a happy festive season Mayflower.

We were on the Muse South Am. Grand Voyage last year when Ms.McDonald & her crew were filming.  They were with us quite a while - I think they embarked in Valpo & left in Montevideo.  They seemed to always be filming in Terrazza at breakfast or lunch & it was a little tricky to stay out of their way, although they were very pleasant to everyone.  This photo was taken during our excursion to Laguna San Raphael.  I regret not being able to see the show & check You Tube for it once in a while.  If any of you ever see that it's available in the US, please post about it.1769102963_LAGUNASanRaphael.thumb.jpg.70eed9a35d40cb1dea07a3d71978ba27.jpg

1 hour ago, nowornever said:

We were on the Muse South Am. Grand Voyage last year when Ms.McDonald & her crew were filming.  They were with us quite a while - I think they embarked in Valpo & left in Montevideo.  They seemed to always be filming in Terrazza at breakfast or lunch & it was a little tricky to stay out of their way, although they were very pleasant to everyone.  This photo was taken during our excursion to Laguna San Raphael.  I regret not being able to see the show & check You Tube for it once in a while.  If any of you ever see that it's available in the US, please post about it.1769102963_LAGUNASanRaphael.thumb.jpg.70eed9a35d40cb1dea07a3d71978ba27.jpg

This is the one we were on that I commented on the above post.

I too have watched this programme. It was really strange, as there was no reference to the cruise line or ship, which I cannot recall ever happening previously in any other episode of her various series. I can only assume, like others, that there must be some dispute between the TV production company and Silverseas.

We are shortly embarking on the Spirit for our first ever Silverseas cruise. Frankly, we were rather underwhelmed with the appearance of the ship on this programme, which we understand was the Shadow. Hopefully, ours will be very different ?

Edited by kool kruiser

2 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

We are shortly embarking on the Spirit for our first ever Silverseas cruise. Frankly, we were rather underwhelmed with the appearance of the ship on this programme, which we understand was the Shadow. 

Spirit is a much different ship from Shadow.  It has been "Musified," i.e., modernized with more dining venues than Shadow, larger lounges, etc.  It's an altogether different ship.  

In fact, as of a few months ago, Shadow is quite different from what you may have seen in video .  It underwent a long dry dock where Deck 5 public areas were modernized and radically reconfigured, suites got new furnishing, etc., etc.

Could it be that the filming was done on the "old" Shadow and that Silversea asked that its identity be concealed since the Shadow being filmed did not represent the redone Shadow or the modern Muse-class or Musified ships?