Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

44 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Maybe they could have the bands do concerts in the new terminal at Botany during the off season.

sound like a plan  I can park my boat and watch from the side ..  in the elcheapo alley seats ..  on another note I can hear thunderstorms  in Sydney looks like it might start raining again ..

Edited by in rod we trust

Been watching the Australian Open tennis, looks like some rain? And they are closing the roof on the 3 courts they can? Pretty good matches for the early rounds. 

Much better than the predictions about limiting rounds, closing roofs, maybe even canceling.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Been watching the Australian Open tennis, looks like some rain? And they are closing the roof on the 3 courts they can? Pretty good matches for the early rounds. 

Much better than the predictions about limiting rounds, closing roofs, maybe even canceling.

Hopefully the rain falls where it is needed and doesn't disrupt the tennis too much.

2 hours ago, Shayna1900 said:

Can anyone on this site tell me what’s going on in Melborne. My Australian Fire ap may be a bit wonky but it’s saying there are 774 incidents right now in melborne. Are they fires or could they be from hail damage . I’m hoping it’s an error. It’s hard to get accurate news in Canada. We’re flying over in two weeks

27BFD510-3E00-4ABD-93B1-2363940E6FF3.png

We have had rain, thunderstorms and hail as big as elephants (approximate) in Melbourne.

Interestingly, it mostly took a track from the north east and the along the eastern suburbs.

Leigh (Possum) reported big hail with damage at her house in the south eastern suburbs. I live in the inner western suburbs and we only have had showers.

1 hour ago, Shayna1900 said:

Maybe it was a problem with the ap. It looks like the same addresses may have been posted multiple times Thank you

Hope we helped, just check the website Lyndarra sent you. Seems much more up to date

Enjoy your visit down under 🌹

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Just had a storm come through and got about 8mm in 1/2 hour so hopefully there is some more but in a drizzle.

Good you received some rain Mic. Did you get hail where you were? Saw some of the damage in Canberra on the news. Hope you weren't affected.

Leigh

4 hours ago, Shayna1900 said:

Can anyone on this site tell me what’s going on in Melborne. My Australian Fire ap may be a bit wonky but it’s saying there are 774 incidents right now in melborne. Are they fires or could they be from hail damage . I’m hoping it’s an error. It’s hard to get accurate news in Canada. We’re flying over in two weeks

27BFD510-3E00-4ABD-93B1-2363940E6FF3.png

Shayna, the majority of the calls were SES (State Emergency Service) call outs for building damage and flooding after the hailstorms that passed through the eastern side of Port Phillip Bay mid yesterday afternoon (19th). There are more storms sweeping through again now - we have only had rain, no hail this afternoon and evening.

We use the Emergency Vic app which we find easy to use, it also gives us severe weather warnings which is how we knew the storms were coming our way yesterday.

Leigh

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Good you received some rain Mic. Did you get hail where you were? Saw some of the damage in Canberra on the news. Hope you weren't affected.

Leigh

We had a little at both our work and home luckily very small compared to some areas (north and inner south) where we are further south. Many cars damaged, smashed windscreens and car dents, many properties damaged as well, the sun tuff rooves, skylights and such.

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We had a little at both our work and home luckily very small compared to some areas (north and inner south) where we are further south. Many cars damaged, smashed windscreens and car dents, many properties damaged as well, the sun tuff rooves, skylights and such.

Sounds like waht happened here yesterday, some areas received the hail, thunder etc while the suburb next door didn't. No damage to your car or home? I saw some damage at Manuka shops.

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sounds like waht happened here yesterday, some areas received the hail, thunder etc while the suburb next door didn't. No damage to your car or home? I saw some damage at Manuka shops.

Leigh

No damage for us so far, more storms forecast for a bit later..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Hope we helped, just check the website Lyndarra sent you. Seems much more up to date

Enjoy your visit down under 🌹

The link Lyndarra sent was for NSW not Victoria - the poster was asking about Melbourne. If you put Melbourne in search it shows a map of Metropolitan Melbourne  and once you soom out it only shows the fires close to the NSW border in the east and NE of the state.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, in rod we trust said:

I wonder which insurance company will be the first to go under or seek gov assistance with all the houses burnt and hail damage reports in nsw …  

That's what reinsurance is for. There won't be any going under or government assistance requested.

7 hours ago, Docker123 said:

We have had rain, thunderstorms and hail as big as elephants (approximate) in Melbourne.

Interestingly, it mostly took a track from the north east and the along the eastern suburbs.

Leigh (Possum) reported big hail with damage at her house in the south eastern suburbs. I live in the inner western suburbs and we only have had showers.

Thank you all for the info., glad you got rain. It doesn’t seem fair that you got large hail, the area has gone through enough hardship already. 

Edited by Shayna1900

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

No damage for us so far, more storms forecast for a bit later..

We had some damage in north Canberra - shade sails, glasshouse and ute (truck) damaged - intense but not terrible compared to what else has been going on.  Across the road from us the CSIRO (Australia’s government science and research organisation) had 65 glasshouses damaged and many years of research destroyed https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6589588/hail-smashes-csiro-glasshouse-crop-research/ 

6F771A32-EE9B-4D9C-95A0-89CA5D6D0136.jpeg

2222F017-7A9B-4F64-A28A-4DE248302E0E.jpeg

61763BC3-16EE-43E3-8972-4421480997A0.jpeg

Edited by lucymorgan

Canberra sure did get hammered yesterday arvo, we copped a little bit of it here on the South Coast, but not much.  Hope all the ACT cruisers did not incur too much grief.   You could have docked a few cruise ships in the streets of Canberra yesterday. 

Edited by NSWP

15 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

I wonder which insurance company will be the first to go under or seek gov assistance with all the houses burnt and hail damage reports in nsw …  

They fall back on billions of reserves.   I have had 2 claims paid out by NRMA/Covermore in the past 2 months, cancelled cruises/flights/hotels and food spoilage claim due to fires and no power down here for 10 days, all paid out promptly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

We had some damage in north Canberra - shade sails, glasshouse and ute (truck) damaged - intense but not terrible compared to what else has been going on.  Across the road from us the CSIRO (Australia’s government science and research organisation) had 65 glasshouses damaged and many years of research destroyed https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6589588/hail-smashes-csiro-glasshouse-crop-research/ 

6F771A32-EE9B-4D9C-95A0-89CA5D6D0136.jpeg

2222F017-7A9B-4F64-A28A-4DE248302E0E.jpeg

61763BC3-16EE-43E3-8972-4421480997A0.jpeg

Sorry about the damage you incurred. As you said compared to what others have had, what we received is just an inconvenience. Our shade sail was actually not damaged but the carport roof was. Vehicles came out ok after the hail we received on Sunday. Son said his and and wife's cars have been damaged as they were in the open. Insurance companies will be busy! We had a call re our claim this morning, just waiting for the assessor to be sent out. 

The CSIRO damage to their hot houses looked quite considerable.

Leigh

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

They fall back on billions of reserves.   I have had 2 claims paid out by NRMA/Covermore in the past 2 months, cancelled cruises/flights/hotels and food spoilage claim due to fires and no power down here for 10 days, all paid out promptly.

good to know they are paying out promptly.