New Gratuity Rate

lorimay

15 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It is in your guest ticket contract; should you not be booked currently you can find it on Celebrity website.  Search for Guest Ticket Contract it is in the "During Your Cruise" section.  

Thank you - except when pulling out and reading my most 'recent' official contract with X, there is no wording about gratuities OR "During Your Cruise" section.

Maybe we have different official contracts?

Thank you again and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

10 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

I do not think Murano's (specialty restaurant) is part of the daily gratuity, thus leaving a cash tip to the waiter when in Murano's you interact with at least 1-2 people and in our experience 2-3 people,  someone gets left out under the 'cash' tip explanation.

I think they (the person / persons) receiving the cash tip does share with their team. We were told if we wrote down the tip it was also shared with the main dining room, etc.

Let me add, they were asking every table that evening to leave a cash tip versus a signed tip on the receipt. 

6 minutes ago, Vacationcheese said:

I think they (the person / persons) receiving the cash tip does share with their team. We were told if we wrote down the tip it was also shared with the main dining room, etc.

Let me add, they were asking every table that evening to leave a cash tip versus a signed tip on the receipt. 

I have heard of restaurant managers (land based) taking part of credit card tips left for serving staff.  This is not legal in the US but happens frequently.  Now I pay for the meal with a CC and tip in cash.  If the server has an arrangement to share with bussers or other back of house support staff that's great, but at least I know management isn't illegally taking any.  Food for thought 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I have heard of restaurant managers (land based) taking part of credit card tips left for serving staff.  This is not legal in the US but happens frequently.  Now I pay for the meal with a CC and tip in cash.  If the server has an arrangement to share with bussers or other back of house support staff that's great, but at least I know management isn't illegally taking any.  Food for thought 

We have a restaurant near us that deducts the extra AmEx fee from the waitstaff's tip. They don't deduct the fee if the tip is a cash tip. Crazy, eh? 

8 hours ago, Vacationcheese said:

We have a restaurant near us that deducts the extra AmEx fee from the waitstaff's tip. They don't deduct the fee if the tip is a cash tip. Crazy, eh? 

In some states illegal; in all unethical 

9 hours ago, Vacationcheese said:

I may be misunderstanding this one, but if all the owner is doing is passing on to the the staff the extra amount they receive minus the Amex deduction for that extra amount I'm not sure I see the problem.

If you want the server to receive the full amount tip in cash as there is a cost to the Amex payment...

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

I may be misunderstanding this one, but if all the owner is doing is passing on to the the staff the extra amount they receive minus the Amex deduction for that extra amount I'm not sure I see the problem.

If you want the server to receive the full amount tip in cash as there is a cost to the Amex payment...

That's a cost of doing business and as such falls on the business owner and is (should be) built into menu prices.  

The owners are using part of the tip to subsidize their operating expenses in that case.  

In some places this is legal.  In other places it is not.  It's like taking a portion of your employees tips because you ran a TV ad or had to pay your electric bill.  

23 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

That's a cost of doing business and as such falls on the business owner and is (should be) built into menu prices.  

The owners are using part of the tip to subsidize their operating expenses in that case.  

In some places this is legal.  In other places it is not.  It's like taking a portion of your employees tips because you ran a TV ad or had to pay your electric bill.  

We are going way off topic for this group and I still don't quite get why this is a problem if the only amount deducted reflects the percentage charged for the amount of the tip only but if it is illegal it certainly shouldn't happen and would rarely affect me in a restaurant as I usually tip in cash.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2020 at 5:15 AM, LMaxwell said:

So pay once and be done.  Your sense of obligation is internal, not external.  

The lowest tippers on the ship, percentage wise (you keep mentioning percentages) are in the most expensive rooms.  (Someone in a $10K room may be charged 2-3% of their fare as a gratuity; while someone in a $2K room may be charged 10% of their fare as a gratuity).  Using 20% flat doesn't really apply in this situation. 

You are paying twice because you are making that choice.  You are not doing it to subsidize anyone elses choices.  

Okay.  So you don't feel like room stewards and server expect a cash tip on board as well?  I am totally curious.....  We've done many cruises and I guess like you stated I feel an internal obligation..........

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2020 at 6:26 PM, Bo1953 said:

Thank you - except when pulling out and reading my most 'recent' official contract with X, there is no wording about gratuities OR "During Your Cruise" section.

Maybe we have different official contracts?

Thank you again and bon voyage

This is from my edocs for a cruise in January 2020, The"things to know" section:

Gratuities
A $14.50 USD gratuity ($15.00 USD for Concierge Class and
AquaClass guests and $18.00 USD for Suite Guests) will be added
to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is
shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and other
Stateroom Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The
daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on
customary industry standards.

I am not arguing that this is an enforceable contract term, but its there and it is whatever it is.

6 hours ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

Okay.  So you don't feel like room stewards and server expect a cash tip on board as well?  I am totally curious.....  We've done many cruises and I guess like you stated I feel an internal obligation..........

I don't know if they expect it or not.  They might anticipate it, but it is presumptuous that they expect it.  The best service tends to get the best rewards 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alcman said:

This is from my edocs for a cruise in January 2020, The"things to know" section:

Gratuities
A $14.50 USD gratuity ($15.00 USD for Concierge Class and
AquaClass guests and $18.00 USD for Suite Guests) will be added
to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is
shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and other
Stateroom Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The
daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on
customary industry standards.

I am not arguing that this is an enforceable contract term, but its there and it is whatever it is.

Thank you for the Information. 

Please be aware that edocs is not the contract of carriage, correctly known as the Cruise/Cruisetour Ticket Contract. 

While I do accept that one will believe that 'edocs' is the contract, when in fact they are not, nor are they incorporated as any part of the contract. 

Bon voyage 

On 1/5/2020 at 10:04 AM, ONT-CA said:

I reiterate, the staff aboard ships work for an agency.  The line pays that agency for it's labour requirements and they in turn pay their clients wages.  The agency also distributes the "tips", specified to a minimum amount with additional amounts above that as collected from the passenger's tip charges.  It is like contributing to an employee fund and has nothing to do with gratuity, gift, tip or reward 

So if what you are saying is correct then if NO ONE paid any gratuities then the agency would have to come up with the money to pay the staff at their minimum tips rate. So the staff doesn’t lose if a cruiser opts to remove daily gratuities from their charges. 

Hmmmm......

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for the Information. 

Please be aware that edocs is not the contract of carriage, correctly known as the Cruise/Cruisetour Ticket Contract. 

While I do accept that one will believe that 'edocs' is the contract, when in fact they are not, nor are they incorporated as any part of the contract. 

Bon voyage 

No, but it's a statement from the company to the consumer.

People wouldn't be happy to get a quote from a company stating one thing then be charged more, nor are they here. That's just a matter of integrity. 

2 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

So if what you are saying is correct then if NO ONE paid any gratuities then the agency would have to come up with the money to pay the staff at their minimum tips rate. So the staff doesn’t lose if a cruiser opts to remove daily gratuities from their charges. 

Hmmmm......

you are assuming, probably incorrectly, that the contract minimum is the same as the amount they would get if no passengers removed gratuities ...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

People wouldn't be happy to get a quote from a company stating one thing then be charged more, nor are they here. That's just a matter of integrity. 

Yes, you are correct, when we here in the US ask for a quote it is implicit that the price may change if not acted upon within a certain time frame.

It is like if I were to ask for a 'quote' on a sailing today and choose not to give a deposit or pre-pay for it at the time of the quote, there is nothing preventing the company from raising or lowering the price quoted until I do.

Statement or not, here in the US a company is bound, usually, to a quote if they accept any payment towards it unless otherwise specified.

As far as I Am aware and know, X does not guarantee these items of a 'personal' nature or responsibility in writing unless they are either pre-paid or deposited.

Okay, I need to go see some paint dry for a bit...

bon voyage

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Let’s review.

1.  Celebrity announced an increase in the recommended on board gratuities.  Celebrity gave  you an option to prepare at the old amount by an announced date.  Celebrity did not change the gratuity amount for those that had already prepaid nor for those that have included gratuities as a perk.

2. Celebrity allows you the option to remove the on board gratuities if not already prepaid or received as a perk.

3.  You insult Celebrity by accusing them of acting in an unethical manner and lacking integrity?

Amazing.  

• Thanks 1

It may have been posted before, but I'm not reading through almost 250 replies to check.

It seems that you can still pay at the old rate, AS LONG as you prepay before embarkation date: http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/17059991_CEL_PCP_Gratuities.pdf

When will the gratuity increase take effect?

For both new and existing reservations, the adjusted gratuity amounts are effective as of January 6, 2020. Guests currently booked that have not yet prepaid their gratuities, will have until the time of sailing to do so at the old rate. After January 6, 2020, gratuities paid while on board are subject to the new, increased rates.

If my clients booked prior to the announcement of the gratuity increase, but did not opt to prepay gratuities, do the new guidelines apply to my clients?

Pre-existing bookings confirmed prior to January 6, 2020 will have until the time of sailing to pay their gratuities at the old rate. After January 6, 2020, gratuities paid while on board are subject to the new, increased rates.

However, as mentioned in another thread, OBC cannot be used to prepay gratuities, i.e. you would have to pay with a credit card, in order to pay at the old rate. If paid onboard, the new rate applies, even for booking made prior to January 6, 2020.

• Thanks 1

I will use the room Steward as an example.  He/She is earmarked to receive a portion of the "tip" purse.  Should everyone on board wish not to offer any daily charged amount,  he/she will receive their allotted portion from the purse that contains a minimum amount supplied by the agency.  For every amount added to the purse by the passengers, the allotted percentage of that will go to, in my example, the Steward. True gratuities given directly to the Steward are said to be destined for the purse.  I see no example of that.  So:  should I chose to not pay/ prepay the tip "charge", but rather to give a handsome gratuity to a deserving Steward, he/she will receive their portion of the purse plus my gratuity minus their portion of prepayment I choose not to make. Smiles all around

Edited by ONT-CA
typo
  • Haha 1

At least Celebrity should allow those who are paid in full to use OBC to pay in advance for gratuities as they do for excursions, specialty restaurant packages and other things.  My agent told me that his large box agency received more than 3200 calls the day the gratuity change was announced. Normally his work day ends by 5:00pm and that day he left at 11:00pm. He also mentioned that Celebrity appears to do this every January in the last few years.

1 hour ago, ONT-CA said:

I will use the room Steward as an example.  He/She is earmarked to receive a portion of the "tip" purse.  Should everyone on board wish not to offer any daily charged amount,  he/she will receive their allotted portion from the purse that contains a minimum amount supplied by the agency.  For every amount added to the purse by the passengers, the allotted percentage of that will go to, in my example, the Steward. True gratuities given directly to the Steward are said to be destined for the purse.  I see no example of that.  So:  should I chose to not pay/ prepay the tip "charge", but rather to give a handsome gratuity to a deserving Steward, he/she will receive their portion of the purse plus my gratuity minus their portion of prepayment I choose not to make. Smiles all around

I suspect that your assumption is incorrect.  If you chose to remove the auto gratuities, your cabin steward will be required to turn in the full amount that you give him. (No matter the amount) Only if you leave your auto gratuities on does your cabin steward get  to keep the cash. Your cabin steward is not likely to have a smile IMO.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I suspect that your assumption is incorrect.  If you chose to remove the auto gratuities, your cabin steward will be required to turn in the full amount that you give him. (No matter the amount) Only if you leave your auto gratuities on does your cabin steward get  to keep the cash. Your cabin steward is not likely to have a smile IMO.

Have you never seen the lineup of crew members at the Western Union counters sending home the much needed and well earned cash received?  But I will give you this, your comment (No matter the amount) says volumes.  I won't say that these smiles say it all, but a lot is said, believe me.

19 minutes ago, ONT-CA said:

Have you never seen the lineup of crew members at the Western Union counters sending home the much needed and well earned cash received?  But I will give you this, your comment (No matter the amount) says volumes.  I won't say that these smiles say it all, but a lot is said, believe me.

well, that argument is invalid since western union will not take there paychecks.  How else are they going to pay western union.  From talks with friends in the business tips are pooled, well at least for some lines I know for sure.  I dont know anyone on Celebrity.