New Gratuity Rate

lorimay

14 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Personally, I’m getting a bit tired of supplementing dead beats who remove tips. Make it mandatory to keep the costs down. 

And how about those that tip with candy, cookies, and souvenirs from where they live?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes but is your company getting paid less than the minimum wage?

There is no minimum wage in their countries. You can not compare the two. Passengers should not be paying salaries but if they do, it needs to be fair.  Make them mandatory and not able to be removed. 

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

There is no minimum wage in their countries. You can not compare the two. Passengers should not be paying salaries. 

Now that is fair. They should have one price that includes gratutities/salaries/whatever/port fees in the final price.  Just give me one price that I can count on.  I am not into the added fees whatever it may be.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Didn’t it go up just last year? That would be 7% in a year. I don’t begrudge them a raise but when I’m comparing land trips to cruises the extra $40 cdn a day in tips puts a big check mark in the land trip category. 

Personally, I’m getting a bit tired of supplementing dead beats who remove tips. Make it mandatory to keep the costs down. 

We pay gratuties on land trips; tips to the maid at the hotel or resort, ‘tips to the waiter or waitress at breakfast, lunch & dinner, tip to the bellman who delivers our luggage, the concierge who gets us show tickets or calls taxis.  That adds up to as much or more than the what we pay on the ship.  

I do agree that it would be a much better system to roll them into the price of the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We pay gratuties on land trips; tips to the maid at the hotel or resort, ‘tips to the waiter or waitress at breakfast, lunch & dinner, tip to the bellman who delivers our luggage, the concierge who gets us show tickets or calls taxis.  That adds up to as much or more than the what we pay on the ship.  

I do agree that it would be a much better system to roll them into the price of the cruise. 

We mainly vacation in Europe or Australia where tipping is not so common. Last year was a villa in Greece and this year was a villa in Port Douglas Australia.  No where close to $40 a day. 

Edited by Cruise Junky

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

We mainly vacation in Europe or Australia where tipping is not so common. Last year was a villa in Greece and this year was a villa in Port Douglas Australia.  No where close to $40 a day. 

I agree but we are talking two completely business models. The costs are what they are and the money does go to the people it should be who rely on this to supplement the pay. The people who like tipping individually, hope they know the waiters housekeepers etc all pool the individual tips. Like I mentioned all the people I come in contact who work for celebrity are very happy n repeat there contracts with the cruise line. That tells me more than anything else. This is also being communicated out to the consumer.  There not being deceptive. It’s in the cruise documents also. I just wrap it in to the cost of the cruise if I don’t select pre paid tips as a perk.   Even with all the changes I can still get my price per day I’m very comfortable with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keesar said:

And how about those that tip with candy, cookies, and souvenirs from where they live?

You mean the stuff that gets trashed because the crew members have no room to keep trinkets and many won't eat other things for allergy or dietary or religious reasons? No matter what they say to your face when they receive it, the vast majority of "stuff" given to them gets trashed as soon as they are in crew-only areas. (And yes, I do personally (not "We became friends when they were my server on a cruise" "know") know people who work or have worked on cruise ships.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

You mean the stuff that gets trashed because the crew members have no room to keep trinkets and many won't eat other things for allergy or dietary or religious reasons? No matter what they say to your face when they receive it, the vast majority of "stuff" given to them gets trashed as soon as they are in crew-only areas. (And yes, I do know people who work or have worked on cruise ships.)

So true.

If it can't be banked or sent home it really is of little to no value to them, and frankly it is embarrassing to see it still going on these days...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

So true.

If it can't be banked or sent home it really is of little to no value to them, and frankly it is embarrassing to see it still going on these days...

I don't think this is an issue if it is above the built-in gratuities. In this case it is more about the gesture or showing appreciation.

That said, I still have always been more concerned about the behind the scenes people (dishwashers, laundry, etc.). IMHO customer facing people are generally paid decently in comparison. Example: A server at Red Lobster is always going to make more money than a cashier at a convenience store or someone restocking the shelves.

Personally, I don't do either. If a product doesn't include gratuities and service is provided (not walkup at starbucks), then I tip generously as it relates to local custom. If gratuities are "built-in" then I consider them built-in and my smile and a "thank you" are sufficient to show my appreciation for good service.

1 minute ago, mdpa said:

I don't think this is an issue if it is above the built-in gratuities. In this case it is more about the gesture or showing appreciation.

Cash shows appreciation, candy and trinkets just go in the trash, as long as you are comfortable with that then gift away 🙂

And by the 4th or 5th page, what started out as a healthy exchange of practical information regarding an impending increase in the daily gratuity amount, turned into "just another tipping thread" with the tired and predictable arguing, sniping, money grubbing comments we've all heard before. Perhaps it reached a "tipping point"? 

And none at all lived happily ever after.

The End

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, wpgcycler said:

And by the 4th or 5th page, what started out as a healthy exchange of practical information regarding an impending increase in the daily gratuity amount, turned into "just another tipping thread" with the tired and predictable arguing, sniping, money grubbing comments we've all heard before. Perhaps it reached a "tipping point"? 

The End

Amen!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

The End

Kudos agreed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wpgcycler said:

The End

LOL - yeah, we be punk'd by a few here....

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bikerunner said:

I agree but we are talking two completely business models. The costs are what they are and the money does go to the people it should be who rely on this to supplement the pay. The people who like tipping individually, hope they know the waiters housekeepers etc all pool the individual tips. Like I mentioned all the people I come in contact who work for celebrity are very happy n repeat there contracts with the cruise line. That tells me more than anything else. This is also being communicated out to the consumer.  There not being deceptive. It’s in the cruise documents also. I just wrap it in to the cost of the cruise if I don’t select pre paid tips as a perk.   Even with all the changes I can still get my price per day I’m very comfortable with. 

But when someone is making a decision on where to spend their vacation $$$ looking at the business model doesn’t really enter into it. You look at overall cost and what you get for that outlay. 

Ive never said they’re being deceptive or they don’t deserve it. I’m saying an extra $40 a day for someone that never ever removes tips is starting to annoy me when others freely remove tips. I know I can spend the same amount for a beautiful villa somewhere that’s not 275sq ft.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

But when someone is making a decision on where to spend their vacation $$$ looking at the business model doesn’t really enter into it. You look at overall cost and what you get for that outlay. 

Ive never said they’re being deceptive or they don’t deserve it. I’m saying an extra $40 a day for someone that never ever removes tips is starting to annoy me when others freely remove tips. I know I can spend the same amount for a beautiful villa somewhere that’s not 275sq ft.  

Agree  most have budgets and overall cost is  always taken into account.  I guess my point is at this point I enjoy cruises more than staying in a villa.  But everyone has choices there are so many out there. For example I’m going on a 8 day cycling trip this summer.  I like the no decision thing tho for relaxation and visiting multiple places.  I don’t like inclusive resorts that much, wouldn’t turn it down if it was a decent price and like the choices cruising gives.  It gives you highlights of a port and a cpl I have gone back to visit for a short getaway 5-7 days to explore more.  But totally agree. There are so many choices out there and people who skimp or skip out on tips I’m not a fan of either.  But in truth I don’t pay attention to them anymore since I don’t work in hospitality any more.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Now that is fair. They should have one price that includes gratutities/salaries/whatever/port fees in the final price.  Just give me one price that I can count on.  I am not into the added fees whatever it may be.

Yes they could roll all of this into one cost. Then they could add a comment about what an appropriate tip to the staff could be. 

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Cash shows appreciation, candy and trinkets just go in the trash, as long as you are comfortable with that then gift away 🙂

A little over the top...you've never received or given a gift?

17 hours ago, mom says said:

Alcman, did you read the post before yours? What is your basis for alleging the cruise line dropped the crew's contracted base salary by a commensurate amount?.

If you actually read what I wrote, I didn't allege anything.  I merely responded to the assertion that the increase is going entirely to the crew, an event I would be happy to see happen.  I only pointed out that there was no proof of that and that Celebrity could just as easily have conformed its contract in many ways.  Nobody o this board has any proof of where the charged gratuities are going and what effect they have on Celebrity's bottom line.

BTW, not that I owe you any explanation, I always tip substantially beyond the required gratuities and appreciate how hard the crew works.

15 minutes ago, mdpa said:

A little over the top...you've never received or given a gift?

We are talking about the crew here, not ourselves.

They have little or no room to store stuff, and their tastes are not always the same as ours, this is why I say that cash is always going to be more use and more appreciated than candy and souvenirs. 

Sorry if it seems harsh, but it is just the practicality of the situation. 

• Like 6