Acquiring personal care items

lhsail

We are cruising for 60 days in March and April. I admit up front I’m particular about things like my shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, lotions, etc.  How accessible would brands we are familiar with be in Melbourne, our starting port for the most part?  Since we each get two suitcases for the flight in we are also considering grabbing a cheap suitcase to pack such items and leaving it behind. Our trip ends in LA, at which point we incur baggage fees for all bags coming back to Texas with us.

Many brands of shampoo etc are worldwide so you are likely to be able to buy what you want, but do you want to spend your time shopping for such items? It might be better to buy a cheap sports bag to carry some items that don't matter if they are squashed in transit. Your shampoos etc. would be less likely to leak if they are packed in the middle of a more robust case.

19 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:
22 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Many brands of shampoo etc are worldwide so you are likely to be able to buy what you want, but do you want to spend your time shopping for such items? It might be better to buy a cheap sports bag to carry some items that don't matter if they are squashed in transit. Your shampoos etc. would be less likely to leak if they are packed in the middle of a more robust case.

A very good point about spending precious time shopping for such. We already have wine shopping on the agenda. I would get something sturdier than a sports bag. Of course about six months ago we gave away a beat up 22” that would have been perfect. 

Recent cruise from UK to Aussie I could not source the brand of deodorant I usually use here in Aussie anywhere in the UK.

Particularly important as I have a sensitivity to aluminium based deodorants.

I tried looking at the labels however the writing was so small I gave up.

Ended up having to pick at random and hope for the best.

Problem got worse as I tried to buy in non-english speaking countries.

I always travel with my own shampoo, conditioner, lotions etc. The longest trip we have done so far was seven weeks and I was easily able to pack a sufficient quantity of everything I needed for that length of time. You have sufficient time in hand to work out how much of each product you use in a month so could easily work out what you need for two months of anything you can't get in Melbourne. The websites mentioned by andlep above should have most popular brands and the two major department stores, David Jones and Myer, have most of the upmarket brands. 

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

Tell us what your favourite brands are and we can help. How long will you be in Melbourne before you cruise?

Leigh

We are in Melbourne for two nights before our initial sailing. If I can find Neutrogena skin care and Paul Mitchell hair styling products I can get by. I should be able to find Clinique products on the ship. My hair is quite short, so I should be able to pack enough of my favorite AG shampoo and conditioner. I’m a Bath and Body Works shower gel, lotion, fragrance junkie and I know there is one in Melbourne, but it looks like a pretty good hike from our hotel, the Holiday Inn on Flinders. Again, don’t want to spend all our time in Melbourne running around shopping. 

You can buy clinque  and neutrogena in every 2nd chemist or even duty free on arrival - nothing  unusual special about it. Might even be in supermarkets.  I'm not sure what the question is for 2 months surely a single container of things like  face cream or hair spray will be more than enough?  I don't know your other brands - but then I don't really buy products by brand 

I’m a bloke but know you will find most of that in Melb, haven’t heard of Paul Mitchell, but that doesn’t mean a lot. Mrs and Miss Gut use the rest at times and pretty sure you will get it all at David Jones dept store. Probably at places like Priceline and Chemist Wharehouse too. Just got home a week or two back and I think it was the first time the boss didn’t buy any Clinique onboard, said she could get in for less on land, previously she stocked up on cruises.

Along with others, can I suggest you give us some details of the brands you prefer and then help can be provided.  However, rather than throwing left overs away at the end of your trip, perhaps you could find a way to donate them to the disadvantaged.  Melbourne, like every city has a large number of homeless and otherwise  socially disadvantaged people and the support agencies that assist them would be grateful for whatever you can provide.

6 hours ago, lhsail said:

We are in Melbourne for two nights before our initial sailing. If I can find Neutrogena skin care and Paul Mitchell hair styling products I can get by. I should be able to find Clinique products on the ship. My hair is quite short, so I should be able to pack enough of my favorite AG shampoo and conditioner. I’m a Bath and Body Works shower gel, lotion, fragrance junkie and I know there is one in Melbourne, but it looks like a pretty good hike from our hotel, the Holiday Inn on Flinders. Again, don’t want to spend all our time in Melbourne running around shopping. 

Enjoy your time in Melbourne! As Andlep said there are both a Hair Warehouse and a Chemist Warehouse at the Spencer Outlet Centre, a few minutes walk from your hotel. According to their website Hairhouse Warehouse stocks Paul Mitchell products and Chemist Warehouse certainly stocks Neutrogena products. The Chemist Warehouse opens at 8am and the Hairhouse Warehouse at 10am at the Spencer Outlet Centre.

Yes the Bath and Body Works shop is in the suburbs at Chadstone Shopping Centre which is a fair hike unless you have a car. 

Enjoy your time in Melbourne!

Leigh

We were in Australia for three weeks last time and most of the larger cities (Sydney, Cairns, Alice Springs, Broken Hill) had pretty well stocked pharmacies.   Maybe different brands from what you are used to, but good enough selection that you'll find something you like.    For example of the top seven brands of toothpaste in Australia, you'll find Colgate, Sensodyne, and Oral-B, but four others I've never heard of.

I use Paul Mitchell in Brisbane. I have seen that Hairhouse Warehouse has PM for sale and Melbourne has many chemists and salons that sell it. You could google what salons in Melbourne City sell it and buy from them or check out major chemists. I always take my own just in case I can’t find what I want overseas. Even deodorant and soap I take from home. Enjoy being down under and have a great time 

Thanks to everyone for the helpful posts. Look like I could find much of what I want in Melbourne. A matter of how much time I want to spend shopping and how much room will be in the suitcases. 

Happy New Year!