Giovanni’s VS. Jamie’s Italian

Loralie

Another vote for Giovannis.

We order the following:

Pork Belly...we kindly ask for slightly crispy...yummy.

Linguini with Manila clams...yummy.

Risotto...usually a crapshoot...but on the Freedom, double yummy.

Tuna...sashimi to me...with a trace of spicy/sweet marinade...yummy.

Filet...medium rare...IMHO, way better than Chops.

For dessert, we ask for a "sampler". 😊

Note: One of our British friends said "Why would you want to eat at Jamie's?...not good, it's going bankrupt."

On 12/28/2019 at 12:49 PM, RFerrington said:

One vote for Giovanni's vs Jamie's.  The only thing that Jamie's does better than Giovanni's, IMO, is the tiramisu.  I think Jamie's does a better job of that...but otherwise, I prefer Giovanni's.

The one thing I wanted to try at Jamie's was the meat plank. Does Giovanni's have something similar?

44 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Thanks!  I found it 🙂. However, it’s just showing dinner menus.  I wonder if it’s not open for lunch at all, on our sea days 😞

The menu is so limited on sea days (or potentially ship specific) that RCI can't be bothered to list that.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

Portofino > Giovanni's > Jamie's > Giovanni's on Freedom (bad experience).  We actually enjoyed the food at Jamie's (Symphony) but not the atmosphere.  Large/noisy table of about 20 people right next to us.  As is always the case with Royal, your mileage WILL vary.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:02 AM, twangster said:

I enjoy both.  Just did a couple nights in Giovanni's on Oasis, have done Jamie's on Anthem a couple of times.  On Oasis I prefer Giovanni's to Chops or 150 Central Park.  I ate at all of them twice during my B3B.

Food is personal so some will like it, some won't.  A restaurant on a ship will never create food like a true Italian restaurant on land.  If that's your point of reference you may not enjoy an Italian restaurant on a ship.  

I agree.  We have some of the finest restaurants in NYC of all varieties, and never found anything to compare with them on a cruise ship.  Perhaps the only exception is Izumi Hibatchi Grill which is like most Hibachi restaurants.

Oasis menus for Giovanni's (post-amplification):

oa_menus-11.jpg

oa_menus-12.jpg

oa_menus-2.jpg

While Giovanni's is my favorite specialty dining venue on Oasis I prefer Jamie's menu.  Plus I prefer the laid back ambiance of Jamie's.  To each their own.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1