Specialty restaurants on Azamazing Evening

laurieb

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I hope a few others have the same idea.

One of the nicest evenings we had in Prime C was a white night when it was us and one other couple. The staff were so good at not hovering as they were clearly not busy. The food was just perfect fresh cook served at the right temperature etc. I would not worry Phil you’ll enjoy I’m sure. 

20 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We did that in Norway, but I have to say we didn’t enjoy it as we were just about the only people in Prime C and there was no atmosphere at all. 

it never matters to us at all if we are alone in Prime C.  The wait staff are beyond excellent and we always enjoy eating there.  Never really pay attention whether there are others there or not

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

it never matters to us at all if we are alone in Prime C.  The wait staff are beyond excellent and we always enjoy eating there.  Never really pay attention whether there are others there or not

We feel exactly the same, some it better when it's less busy.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

We did Prime C on the White Night, as it was our actual 25th Wedding Anniversary.  After about 20 min we were the only ones there and I loved it.  I hate noisy restaurants, and the “private” dining room atmosphere it created was great for this day.  Not to mention you have a personal server.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Schonert said:

We did Prime C on the White Night, as it was our actual 25th Wedding Anniversary.  After about 20 min we were the only ones there and I loved it.  I hate noisy restaurants, and the “private” dining room atmosphere it created was great for this day.  Not to mention you have a personal server.

Agree.  "Private" dining is lovely.  Beats having someone at a table next to yours and a foot or so away like both Aqualina and Prime C now have.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2019 at 4:12 PM, Phxazzcruisers said:

Except when some of those others are unnecessarily loud, making conversation at one's own table extremely difficult and the experience less enjoyable than it should be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Except when some of those others are unnecessarily loud, making conversation at one's own table extremely difficult and the experience less enjoyable than it should be.

The only time we had that problem was when there was a family with a child who didn’t want to stay at the table & was noisy. Luckily they had just about finished their meal as we started ours, so left before we got to our main course.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Yes once they added more tables, this and the table beside you eavesdropping and butting into your conversation became an issue many times, however this thread was about eating there on an Azamazing evening when in the past you would have had no issues as it could well have been very private dining.

Going forward answers will be different

• Azamazing evenings are already showing as on ship activities on some 2021 cruises in July.  The on ship activities in the Caribbean were such that you would still go to a speciality that night as they were shorter early or late sitting events.
  • The space between tables in the specialities is probably to close now for any current distance guidelines

Time will tell what the future holds (how many times are we saying that just now?) 🙂 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

The only time we had that problem was when there was a family with a child who didn’t want to stay at the table & was noisy. Luckily they had just about finished their meal as we started ours, so left before we got to our main course.

I would have asked the matre'd to be assigned to another table and made sure that the family who felt entitled to be in a restaurant which does not cater to children knew why.  The specialty restaurants are designed to cater to people who enjoy leisurely dining and not to families who have to eat and run because of their unruly kid or who eat leisurely and ignore their unruly kid.  Sorry to sound like like a grouch but some restaurants are designed for children and some are not.

DON

29 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I would have asked the matre'd to be assigned to another table and made sure that the family who felt entitled to be in a restaurant which does not cater to children knew why.  The specialty restaurants are designed to cater to people who enjoy leisurely dining and not to families who have to eat and run because of their unruly kid or who eat leisurely and ignore their unruly kid.  Sorry to sound like like a grouch but some restaurants are designed for children and some are not.

DON

Children are welcome at all restaurants by policy on most cruise lines.  If you really want to protect yourself from this inconvenience, Viking doesn't even allow them on board.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Children are welcome at all restaurants by policy on most cruise lines.  If you really want to protect yourself from this inconvenience, Viking doesn't even allow them on board.

The reality is that you will encounter few children on Azamara and world be unlucky to (but I have and kids are kids). Far more annoying are the adults with loud voices because they have a proper sense of their surroundings and really should know better. It's a Specialty restaurant after all. I've done as DON says and have asked to be moved. The view out the back at the far end is lovely, but not a good spot if you have a noisy group nearby. Yes.  Near the entrance or a table down the side away from the kitchen door entrance for me is fine. 

Phil 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I understand the policy.  However, the specialty restaurants are the more upscale (note that I did not say "upscale") restaurants on the ship.  People are paying extra to dine there.  It is not fair for their dining experience to be ruined by people who can not or will not control their kids.

Having kids in the main dining room is expected and we live with their interruptions.  

DON

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Had it not been obvious that the family had just about finished their meal, we would have asked to be moved.

We did once ask to be moved in Discoveries as we were next to a table of 6 who were both talking very loudly and directing their hacking coughs in our direction. The move was done brilliantly by the staff, with no fuss!

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

....We did once ask to be moved in Discoveries as we were next to a table of 6 who were both talking very loudly and directing their hacking coughs in our direction....

Can you imagine this when cruising resumes, in a 'post-covid' world? 😓