Board time for FLL medallion cruises

jgd3rdbcfd

1 hour ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

My wife and I are on Regal next Sunday.  Any experiences for  boarding with medallions?  We are elite and not sure if that makes a difference anymore.

It does make a difference because you will board from the preferred waiting area lounge upstairs.

Usually boarding starts around 11:00 to 11:30.

Two weeks ago we arrived at the Port at 10:10 AM. Did not have medallions since we were travelling prior to the cruise but I did download the app and complete the info. We are Platinum Elite. Our medallions were ready for us and we boarded Regal at 10:20 AM.........fastest ever!

33 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

What is exactly in this elite waiting lounge? 

At FLL, it's the lounge on the boarding level for I think elites and platinums.  They provide some drinks/breakfast items and water for you while you wait.  Not really more comfortable, I think the chairs are basically the same as the regular waiting area.

Non priority folks wait downstairs.  The priority lounge boards first after the in transit passengers and others who have a priority boarding privilege. 

40 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

What is exactly in this elite waiting lounge?  I guess what I'm trying to understand is, is it just a more comfortable environment or are their drinks being served and whatnot.

The lounge is also situated for easy transition to the gangways when boarding starts.

12 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

What is exactly in this elite waiting lounge?  I guess what I'm trying to understand is, is it just a more comfortable environment or are their drinks being served and whatnot.

Just an area upstairs fairly close to the gangway. Similar to an airport gate seating area. There may be some coffee, tea and mini danish. Not a place where passengers wait very long.

19 hours ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

My wife and I are on Regal next Sunday.  Any experiences for  boarding with medallions?  We are elite and not sure if that makes a difference anymore.

When we boarded 2 weeks ago it was the fastest boarding we've ever experienced. (and we didn't yet have the medallions)

As I recall we were on the ship before 10:30 AM & unpacked before we went to lunch at 11:30.

Disembarking was also very fast (at least for self disembarkation)...it started at around 6:00 and we took a shuttle to our car & were on the way home before 6:20 AM. 

We do not think the Medallions make much difference other then reducing the check-in lines in the terminal.   The initial boarding time is governed by how soon the ship is "cleared for embarkation" by the US CBP folks.  They call the shots when it comes to their complex "zero out" procedure.  There are other issues (sometimes unexpected) such as a USCG inspection, PHS inspection, etc. that can delay the start of boarding.   We did not think the Medallions made much difference as they scanned the medallions just like they would have scanned cruise cards.  Having taken a fully Medallionized cruise (on the CB), some partially Medallionized cruises, and plenty of cruises with just cruise cards, we are not impressed :(.  To be very blunt it seems that Princess has spend an awful lot of money for a new kind of room key.

On the CB (the first Princess ship to be completely Medallionized) the crew adjusted to the new Medallion system by constantly asking our cabin number (with the cruise card that wanted the Folio number).  Why did they ask for our cabin number?  Because, several told us, it was easier then dealing with the remote medallion readers which often would have a dead battery before a crew member finished their shift.  When we would go to the International Café (our hangout) we would usually have to swipe our medallion over the reader (located on the counter) until the server nodded that all was OK.  In the past we would hand our cruise card to the server and he/she swiped it.  That is a big change?  Is it worth spending 10s of millions of dollars?  At the IC if a waitress was taking our coffee order at one of the tables they would always ask for our cabin number, jot it down, and go off to get our drinks (they would then have to input the cabin number into their base terminal).  Without the Medallion we would simply hand them our cruise card, they would jot down the folio number or hold the card, and that was that!  

Next year we have 2 long Princess cruises, one on a ship that is not Medallionized (Island Princess) and the other on a ship that is completely Medallionized (Regal).  DW says she looks forward to being on the cruise without the Medallion.  As she so tactfully puts it, "the Medallion is a pain in the neck (especially if you wear it around your neck)."

Hank

We boarded last week on 12/21 with medallions and being Platinum. Arrived around 10:30, boarding was at 11.  There were a lot of Elite/Platinum so had it been fewer, it may have gone a little faster.  Our cabin was ready shortly after boarding.  Very organized.  The check in was so fast and easy. Medallions are awesome. They worked so well for us for everything.  It is weird to see your picture pop up on the screens in the bars and dining rooms!  Often they don't need to scan you, they just pick you up automatically.

Hlitner,

As and older person I understand everything you are saying. I grew up when A.M. radio and 45's were the the go to for your Rock & Roll. Photos were something you took on vacation and viewed them weeks after you returned home and got them developed. You had to dial a telephone, there were pay phones in every corner store. But, times have changed exponentially over the last 25 years. Middle age, those now approaching prime cruise age, have grown up in the cell phone, iPad, high tech, connected world. Princess risk that potential customers will go elsewhere if their vacation experience is not "connected." For them ordering a drink over their phone is a normal daily occurrence, think Starbucks and others. For many it's their daily life. I don't believe Princess has wasted funds on this project. Prepare your mind for medallion  2.0, 3.0 and so on.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We do not think the Medallions make much difference other then reducing the check-in lines in the terminal.   The initial boarding time is governed by how soon the ship is "cleared for embarkation" by the US CBP folks.  They call the shots when it comes to their complex "zero out" procedure.  There are other issues (sometimes unexpected) such as a USCG inspection, PHS inspection, etc. that can delay the start of boarding.   We did not think the Medallions made much difference as they scanned the medallions just like they would have scanned cruise cards.  Having taken a fully Medallionized cruise (on the CB), some partially Medallionized cruises, and plenty of cruises with just cruise cards, we are not impressed :(.  To be very blunt it seems that Princess has spend an awful lot of money for a new kind of room key.

On the CB (the first Princess ship to be completely Medallionized) the crew adjusted to the new Medallion system by constantly asking our cabin number (with the cruise card that wanted the Folio number).  Why did they ask for our cabin number?  Because, several told us, it was easier then dealing with the remote medallion readers which often would have a dead battery before a crew member finished their shift.  When we would go to the International Café (our hangout) we would usually have to swipe our medallion over the reader (located on the counter) until the server nodded that all was OK.  In the past we would hand our cruise card to the server and he/she swiped it.  That is a big change?  Is it worth spending 10s of millions of dollars?  At the IC if a waitress was taking our coffee order at one of the tables they would always ask for our cabin number, jot it down, and go off to get our drinks (they would then have to input the cabin number into their base terminal).  Without the Medallion we would simply hand them our cruise card, they would jot down the folio number or hold the card, and that was that!  

Next year we have 2 long Princess cruises, one on a ship that is not Medallionized (Island Princess) and the other on a ship that is completely Medallionized (Regal).  DW says she looks forward to being on the cruise without the Medallion.  As she so tactfully puts it, "the Medallion is a pain in the neck (especially if you wear it around your neck)."

Hank

You are correct in how the Medallion works at this time.  You can also order drinks with it and find where your shipmates are on the ship which I have found quite useful.  The Medallion is basically a digital platform with functions hanging off it.  The number of functions is limited now but will increase over time.  It is far too early to judge the platform at this time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

You are correct in how the Medallion works at this time.  You can also order drinks with it and find where your shipmates are on the ship which I have found quite useful.  The Medallion is basically a digital platform with functions hanging off it.  The number of functions is limited now but will increase over time.  It is far too early to judge the platform at this time.

So, lets talk about the ordering drinks.  As you are likely aware, Princess did (perhaps they still do) offer a free drink to anyone who wanted to try out the system.  We tried to order drinks, during the first two days of our cruise, in the Atrium (deck 5 and 7) and the system was never functioning (it would say "not available at this time").  Finally, on a port day when DW and I were 2 of about 50 people spending the day onboard, I turned on the App and it was functioning.  We ordered a couple of cokes (in retrospect I should have ordered a Bloody Mary).  About 5 minutes later (with the deck mostly empty) we saw a waiter come into our area but he was in the aisle behind our chair.  We sat there (keep in mind there were few people on deck) for a couple of minutes as he kept looking around and obviously having no clue where to go.  I finally stood up and waved my arms to catch his attention and we did have our drinks.   A few days later I decided to order a spicy Bloody Mary but alas, there is no way to order a "spicy" Bloody Mary.  You can only order a Bloody Mary (no place for any custom info).  DW likes her Cosmos made with Belvedere Vodka.  You can order a Cosmo...but there is no way to specify the type of Vodka.

Its too early to judge the platform?  After more then 2 years of implementation, 10s of millions of dollars (we are stockholders) and all we get is, "its too early to judge?"  Not in my world.  I do judge (since we are all paying for this feature) and I judge it a very costly experiment with little benefit to the passenger.  And there are those here online who said it would make it easier to get on and off the ship!  The reality is there is no difference.  We used to have our cruise card scanned (which took a second) and now we need to have our Medallion scanned (it takes about 2 seconds).  

But the worst part of the Medallion happened to us at our Muster Drill.  DW and I had been sitting at a bar and did not remember exactly which muster station applied to our cabin.  But we were pretty sure it was the main theater since our cabin was located far forward.  We only knew this because of having cruised on Princess for more then 30 cruises.  So we walked over to the area near the theater where a crew member ask us our muster station and we told them we were not sure.  They then ask to see our Medallion but the crew members portable scanner/reader had crashed and he could not get it to work.  After waiting more then 5 minutes he found another crew member who had a working scanner who was finally able to scan our Medallion and tell us where to go for the muster drill (several crew members were snickering as this fiasco continued).  Consider that if we had a cruise card the muster station would have been prominently displayed on the card.  So one wonders if there is a real emergency that involves an electrical fire (this happens on ships) and their computer system goes down how anyone will know where anyone should go.  Just saying.  Keep in mind that many folks on cruise ships cannot find there way around...even after a few days.

Hank

You do have some good points, but I have not found the Medallions to be a problem in general.  I tend to think subsequent versions will add more features.  For all I know, some people probably didn't like the cruise cards when they came out.

On the drinks, I certainly think they need to add a customization feature.  Either to add/modify personal taste specifics (e.g. spicy as in your example), or even to order a drink that isn't on the app menu.  I think there were more items available in November versus our first Medallion cruise. 

Not sure when you had the terrible experience, but I have not noticed problems with readers in November. 

As a fellow S/H, it would be nice to know what they call success with this project and if they have measured benefits.  I acknowledge that a lot of the benefits accrue to Princess/CCL.  If it helps in the longer run to deliver a better product and services, then the whole thing may be justified.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 6:16 PM, CarelessAndConfused said:

As far as the seating is concerned...think along the lines of typical airport gate seating.

42 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

As far as the seating is concerned...think along the lines of typical airport gate seating.

Agree with rows and so forth, but much cleaner and also more comfortable as I recall than a lot of airport seating.  At least in "home" T2 @ PE, FL.

Edited by steelers36

23 hours ago, skynight said:

Hlitner,

As and older person I understand everything you are saying. I grew up when A.M. radio and 45's were the the go to for your Rock & Roll. Photos were something you took on vacation and viewed them weeks after you returned home and got them developed. You had to dial a telephone, there were pay phones in every corner store. But, times have changed exponentially over the last 25 years. Middle age, those now approaching prime cruise age, have grown up in the cell phone, iPad, high tech, connected world. Princess risk that potential customers will go elsewhere if their vacation experience is not "connected." For them ordering a drink over their phone is a normal daily occurrence, think Starbucks and others. For many it's their daily life. I don't believe Princess has wasted funds on this project. Prepare your mind for medallion  2.0, 3.0 and so on.

Princess should be careful that they don't leave other cruisers behind.  Sometimes people keep their cars with higher mileage because they don't understand or want the new gadgets that are being put into all of the newer models.  Thus the car makers lose out on sales to a segment of the population

BTW to all.  This thread is about boarding times in FLL, not really for reviews of MedallionClass cruising.  I'm interested in seeing other's experiences when boarding but these sidetrack posts makes it difficult to follow the thread.  I don't want to appear to be preaching, I just want to see how the Medallion has affected the boarding experience.  Thanks to all.  :classic_smile:

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

BTW to all.  This thread is about boarding times in FLL, not really for reviews of MedallionClass cruising.  I'm interested in seeing other's experiences when boarding but these sidetrack posts makes it difficult to follow the thread.  I don't want to appear to be preaching, I just want to see how the Medallion has affected the boarding experience.  Thanks to all.  :classic_smile:

I agree....but typical for CC lately.

They go off the rails quickly.

• Like 1