Central Park Balcony

Thom524

We don't sail until April 2021 but we got a good price on a Central Park balcony cabin on the Oasis. Anyone have any pros or cons concerning Central Park balconies that might either convince me to keep or change the cabin?

We were on the HOS in October and did a junior suite, but honestly, we much prefer the coziness of the Central Park balcony. We sit out there listening to the live musical performances with a glass of wine as we get ready for the evening. Very romantic!

We hardly used the balcony on the junior suite, and the one afternoon that we did decide to sit out there was the time the crew chose to pressure wash the balcony from top to bottom including furniture. Lol.

I believe we are going back to Central Park balcony for our next cruise on this class of ship. Okay, I must admit that I did like the larger bathroom, but that is about the only thing I find special about the junior suites. We are diamond plus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pchamb3 said:

We were on the HOS in October and did a junior suite, but honestly, we much prefer the coziness of the Central Park balcony. We sit out there listening to the live musical performances with a glass of wine as we get ready for the evening. Very romantic!

We hardly used the balcony on the junior suite, and the one afternoon that we did decide to sit out there was the time the crew chose to pressure wash the balcony from top to bottom including furniture. Lol.

I believe we are going back to Central Park balcony for our next cruise on this class of ship. Okay, I must admit that I did like the larger bathroom, but that is about the only thing I find special about the junior suites. We are diamond plus.

Did you get the chance to have dinner in Coastal Kitchen with your JS?

10 hours ago, matj2000 said:

There is nothing really great about them.

Nothing to see except other balconies.

People get them because they are the most inexpensive balcony cabins available. 

Well that's not true.  I'm getting you don't like them but that doesn't mean that people get them because they are the most inexpensive balcony available.  Certainly not our reason.  And there is lots to see.

We love Central Park balconies.  As Cool Cruiser mentioned, it's nice to sit out in the evening with a glass of wine and listen to the music, the sound of the crickets.  People watching as they go about the evening in formal wear.  Twinkly lights in the trees.   Having a bite to eat in the morning and hearing birds piped in.  They are really very quant cabins.  

I read comments about no air circulation and being able to see into other cabins, neither have been our experience.  Yes, we have found them to be the more interesting cabins but that is us.  I doubt very much you will regret your choice.  

• Like 2

I agree with everything tinkertwo mentioned.  We had two of them on Oasis in April 2019 and didn't have any of the issues that some claim are inherent with CP balconies.  

As I posted in another CP balcony thread, unless the person in the cabin across the way is naked on their balcony or pressed up against their sliding door, it's virtually impossible to see that deeply into other cabins (also super easy to pull the curtain if you're concerned.)

Since we needed 2 cabins, we saved a significant amount of money going with the CP cabins over the OV's across the hall (sailing during a busy April week).  If you're a person who likes to spend a lot of time on their balcony watching the ocean then you'll probably miss that but otherwise, give it a try.

13 hours ago, Thom524 said:

We don't sail until April 2021 but we got a good price on a Central Park balcony cabin on the Oasis. Anyone have any pros or cons concerning Central Park balconies that might either convince me to keep or change the cabin?

Have sailed in a CP balcony and really enjoyed it.  Just consider decks 10 or 11 so as not to be under the pool deck.  I enjoyed the light and the real outside view-  Unlike the Boardwalk view, peaceful and quiet.   However, some people might not like not seeing the sea and having no sense as to if we have docked.  The cabins are great and a real bargain IMO.  

Enjoy your cruise.

John and Lala, we did get to dine in the coastal kitchen. We could only make reservations one night at a time and had no access to the door with our key card. Had to knock on the door to the coastal kitchen to get their attention to let us in, made us feel a bit like second class citizens, or beggars at the door. We did dine there three evenings and the food and service was very good. 
Of course we were paying probably more than double the price for the junior suite compared to a Central Park balcony. I think next time will get the dining package and cp balcony, don’t think we got the best bang for our buck with that suite, plus it was very, very noisy. I think it was cabin 11366.

By the way your dog is really cute! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

Op since you booked do far in advance were you able to get the extra large balcony?? We like trying different rooms for our fall sailings (we cruise 2 times a year) Was able to snag one of the extra large balconies for oct 2020 oasis.   

We are doing a B2B in Oct. on Symphony and have booked one of the extra large balconies.  

• Like 1

I personally really enjoy CP balconies. While it's not the same experience as an OV balcony, there is something really serene about the Central Park area, and it's great for people watching during the day. In the evening, it's nice to take 20 minutes out of the night to just sit on our semi-private space and listen to the live music and enjoy a glass of wine either to end the night or as a little reprieve between dinner and other activities. 

My pro-tip is to buy an electric battery operated tea light (preferably one that has a flicker effect) and place it on the table while you sit out there in the evening (just remember to bring it in when you're done so it doesn't get caught by an errant breeze). 

8 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

Well that's not true.  I'm getting you don't like them but that doesn't mean that people get them because they are the most inexpensive balcony available.  Certainly not our reason.  And there is lots to see.

We love Central Park balconies.  As Cool Cruiser mentioned, it's nice to sit out in the evening with a glass of wine and listen to the music, the sound of the crickets.  People watching as they go about the evening in formal wear.  Twinkly lights in the trees.   Having a bite to eat in the morning and hearing birds piped in.  They are really very quant cabins.  

I read comments about no air circulation and being able to see into other cabins, neither have been our experience.  Yes, we have found them to be the more interesting cabins but that is us.  I doubt very much you will regret your choice.  

Our feelings exactly. 

6 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Op since you booked do far in advance were you able to get the extra large balcony?? We like trying different rooms for our fall sailings (we cruise 2 times a year) Was able to snag one of the extra large balconies for oct 2020 oasis.   

Didn't actually know about those balconies but someone in our party got one by accident, we are jealous.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:52 PM, Thom524 said:

Central Park is our favourite part of Oasis class ships.

The only down side is the lack of privacy as lots of cabins face each other.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:11 PM, matj2000 said:

There is nothing really great about them.

Nothing to see except other balconies.

People get them because they are the most inexpensive balcony cabins available. 

We think they are great staterooms as other posters have said.

Great value they are but we don’t book them because they may or not be the most inexpensive staterooms available we book them because we enjoy the peace ambiance people watching fantastic evening music and they are near our favourite Trellis Bar.

If I want a view of the sea at anytime I can always find one.

• Like 1

I can live with the lack of privacy for a week and I like the idea of a Central Park balcony so that we can enjoy the music and the quiet in the evening.  We lived in FL for many years and from April through late October, the humidity is so high it made life uncomfortable for us when we were outside.

Central Park has me re-live those memories as it is very hot and humid with no/little air flow during those months.  Just going to dinner in any of the specialty restaurants in the park are uncomfortable for me especially.

I think I could enjoy the cruise if I sailed in Jan for the first couple of days.  If the cruise were going to San Juan, as an example, the balcony would be wasted space for me.  I would rather stay with the noise in a Boardwalk balcony because at least the air moves.