More Efficient Port Process...

NavyCruiser

1 hour ago, SRF said:

You obviously have not returned from to Dulles from Europe.  About 12 flights get in an hour or so.

And no, they are not mainly business travelers, especially on weekends.  I just flew AMS - IAD last Saturday, and probably 80% of the passengers were NOT business travelers.

Dulles has never recovered from the incident with john mcclane back in 1990. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Huh??

Pre-Check was never only those nominated by their airline.

You couldn't be more wrong.  Back when the TSA began to pilot the program, it was available in a limited number of airports.  DL, UA, AA, US, and CO were all asked to send a special link to their top tier frequent flyers to join the program. It was actually free for us at that point.  It was also given to people with GE, SENTRI, etc.   

That was in 2011. It wasn't otherwise available to the "general" public until around 2013.  

On 1/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, NavyCruiser said:

My hopefully constructive suggs are: 

Embark:

- direct non-stop (no red lights, nor stop signs) on-ramps from Harborside Dr & 22nd St directly onto cruise terminals 1, 2, and 3.   Just like many airport onramps from freeways to its terminals

- construct pedestrian bridge over & or pedestrian tunnels under Harborside Dr for those passengers who wants to walk back to parking lots

- more separate security lines for Suites, Platinum, Diamond, +++ etc,  TSA Pre-Check, & more x-ray machines

Debark:

- Install more automated passport control Kiosks, Global Entry Kiosks, etc...

- Enable Mobile Passports app usage

- Separate vehicle staging/pick-up areas for airport Buses, taxis, personal vehicles, Share riding Uber/Lyft areas...

Since we all pay for all these services through port charges & fees, we all should be vocal about we would like for them to provide us a safe, fast & efficient security experience & don't accept the status quo & let them decide how we all should just accept it.  Think about that next time you're standing in the half-mile long roped line...

Most of these suggestions, along with the port fees and taxes are a municipal decision, at most a state decision, not a federal operation, so unless you are resident in Galveston, or a Texan if the port authority is a state function, the government won't care what your comments are, as they are free to spend the cruise ship revenues as they wish within the direction of the city residents.  You're talking about millions more to buy up land for your staging areas and off ramps, and to build this infrastructure.  Perhaps the good folks of Galveston wish to use the cruise ship revenues to fix potholes or fund the schools.

Now, with regard to federal operations at the port, why should TSA Pre get any consideration, since that is a strictly domestic security program, and is not available for international travel.  Next, why should Suites and Platinum passengers get dedicated security lines?  Does paying more mean you are less of a security risk?  Do first class air passengers get preferred treatment at security?  Not that I've seen.  Yes, the check-in is segregated, but that is a function of the airline (or in this case the cruise line) and not TSA or port security.  CBP has not implemented Global Entry or mobile passport kiosks at all airports handling international flights yet, why should they do so at ports that handle, as you point out, even less passengers.  And, the amount of CBP agents, and their infrastructure at the port, is a business decision between the port authority (who collects the port taxes and fees) and the federal government, so again the amount of service falls to the port authority, who answers to its constituents, not the cruising public, or out of state passengers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Next, why should Suites and Platinum passengers get dedicated security lines?  

At disembarkation, suite passengers get priority status to get off the ship first on many lines, which would by default provide shorter lines ahead of them.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Most of these suggestions, along with the port fees and taxes are a municipal decision, at most a state decision, not a federal operation, so unless you are resident in Galveston, or a Texan if the port authority is a state function, the government won't care what your comments are, as they are free to spend the cruise ship revenues as they wish within the direction of the city residents.  You're talking about millions more to buy up land for your staging areas and off ramps, and to build this infrastructure.  Perhaps the good folks of Galveston wish to use the cruise ship revenues to fix potholes or fund the schools.

Now, with regard to federal operations at the port, why should TSA Pre get any consideration, since that is a strictly domestic security program, and is not available for international travel.  Next, why should Suites and Platinum passengers get dedicated security lines?  Does paying more mean you are less of a security risk?  Do first class air passengers get preferred treatment at security?  Not that I've seen.  Yes, the check-in is segregated, but that is a function of the airline (or in this case the cruise line) and not TSA or port security.  CBP has not implemented Global Entry or mobile passport kiosks at all airports handling international flights yet, why should they do so at ports that handle, as you point out, even less passengers.  And, the amount of CBP agents, and their infrastructure at the port, is a business decision between the port authority (who collects the port taxes and fees) and the federal government, so again the amount of service falls to the port authority, who answers to its constituents, not the cruising public, or out of state passengers.

Thanks, Cheng:

"Yea...Gov't !!!  Yea.... DMV !!!  Passengers suck !!! ..."

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Huh?

I'm just sarcastically cheering you on your Pro Gov't / Anti consumer views above:

".... the government won't care what your comments are, as they are free to spend the cruise ship revenues as they wish..."

6 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

I'm just sarcastically cheering you on your Pro Gov't / Anti consumer views above:

".... the government won't care what your comments are, as they are free to spend the cruise ship revenues as they wish..."

And that is true, the local government won't care about what anyone thinks other than the local voters. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

1 minute ago, NavyCruiser said:

Not pro-government/anti-consumer, just pointing out the realities of the "solutions" you presented.  Are you saying that government's first responsibility is not to it's constituents?  To me, that is the cornerstone of democracy, but maybe you feel differently.  Consumers have a voice, but if that voice contradicts the constituents, then the constituents will, and should, always win.  You did forget to include the preceding phrase in my comment you quoted "unless you are a resident", which clarifies my comments as to the government's responsibility to the constituents first.

Yes, I am a Galveston resident & a Texas resident.

I Have over a million miles flying out of Houston Bush & Hobby airports, as well as 20+ cruises out of Galveston.

As a property owning tax-payer, I do have vested interest in how efficient the Gov't work in bringing in more passengers, thus more $$$/revenues for our local economy.  If they make the process more efficient & more cruisers feel like it's a great hassle-free experience to cruise out of Galveston, then it's win-win for us.

What I'm feeling from you people is that you're satisfied with the status quo, that's the way it is, suck it up, Cupcake, if you want a better/more efficient process, cruise out of Miami (or wherever else) that already have a more pleasant experience... 

3 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

I Have over a million miles flying out of Houston Bush & Hobby airports, as well as 20+ cruises out of Galveston.

As a property owning tax-payer, I do have vested interest in how efficient the Gov't work in bringing in more passengers, thus more $$$/revenues for our local economy.  If they make the process more efficient & more cruisers feel like it's a great hassle-free experience to cruise out of Galveston, then it's win-win for us.

What I'm feeling from you people is that you're satisfied with the status quo, that's the way it is, suck it up, Cupcake, if you want a better/more efficient process, cruise out of Miami (or wherever else) that already have a more pleasant experience... 

In my case, not correct at all.  I am not a Galveston resident, so as I say, the port authority will not care what my opinions are, but they would and should listen to you as a constituent.  So, your best avenue is to lobby your fellow city residents rather than cruisers who have no standing with the government.  I feel, however, that the cost of what you propose would far exceed the port fees and taxes that the city or port authority takes in.  And, it may involve cross-jurisdictional decisions, like the port authority agreeing to pay the city or state for the road improvements that would be outside the port authority's land.  Perhaps you should investigate the port authority's financials, and the city financials to see whether either can afford the improvements you propose.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Or maybe we recognize that our voice doesn't carry much weight so we don't fight a battle that we can't win. Personally Texas is off my cruising radar because of its liquor laws. 

23 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The Navy and Army are both part of the Department of Defense but that doesn't mean they are the same.

And the Coast Guard is part of DHS also, and are not the same as CBP or TSA (or Secret Service, or ICE, or ......) 😄

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ducklite said:

You couldn't be more wrong.  Back when the TSA began to pilot the program, it was available in a limited number of airports.  DL, UA, AA, US, and CO were all asked to send a special link to their top tier frequent flyers to join the program. It was actually free for us at that point.  It was also given to people with GE, SENTRI, etc.   

That was in 2011. It wasn't otherwise available to the "general" public until around 2013.  

You did not include that part in your original post. 🙂

42 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

...Personally Texas is off my cruising radar because of its liquor laws. 

That's the next battle we need to push back on.

Been reminding our Texas state reps during this primary election season that we are Texas & not Taxes!!!

It's this idiotic thinking that's we're losing Millions of $$$ of revenues from lost passengers, in tryin' to generate a few $ from liquor taxes.

10 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

That's the next battle we need to push back on.

Been reminding our Texas state reps during this primary election season that we are Texas & not Taxes!!!

It's this idiotic thinking that's we're losing Millions of $$$ of revenues from lost passengers, in tryin' to generate a few $ from liquor taxes.

And my voice would be lost in that battle, also. Sure, I could write letters to Texas Reps saying that I won't cruise from Texas because of their laws, but since I'm not a constituent I would anticipate that my letter would find it's way rather quickly to File 13 and I probably would receive no response (other than maybe a polite form letter "thank you for your letter").

We have plenty of time until Fall 2021 to lobby Royal & the Port of Galveston authorities on what WE want them to spend the $100 Million on...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/12/31/royal-caribbean-allure-of-the-seas-galveston.html

Allure will dock at the new $100 million cruise terminal Royal Caribbean will build in Galveston. That project includes improvements to the pier bulkhead and apron in order to accommodate the Oasis Class of ships.

Royal Caribbean will build a $100 million cruise terminal at the Port of Galveston. It's slated to debut in fall 2021.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN

The Port of Galveston and Royal Caribbean officially inked a long-awaited deal on Dec. 12 to build the third cruise terminal. Royal Caribbean’s lease will start with a 20-year initial term and can be extended with four 10-year options. Construction is expected to begin in April 2020 and be complete in time for the terminal to open in fall 2021, per the Dec. 12 release.

The two-story, 170,000-square-foot terminal will be built on 10 acres in the eastern section of the port known as Pier 10. It will feature technology such as mobile check-in and facial recognition to expedite guest arrival, per the release.

“We are excited to partner with the Port of Galveston to develop a world-class facility, which will allow us to sail our newest, largest and most innovative ships from Texas starting with Allure of the Seas, one of the largest ships in the world,” Michael Bayley, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, said in the release. “The new terminal will allow us to increase our guests to the region by 50 percent, generating a $100 million economic impact within the first year of operation.”

The additional terminal will greatly expand Galveston's already fast-growing cruise business. The Port of Galveston remains firmly in the No. 4 spot nationwide for total cruise embarkations, with 985,000 in 2018, a 13.3 percent increase from 2016 and up 126 percent since 2010, according to a biennial study Cruise Lines International Association released last month. However, Galveston has already surpassed 1 million passengers in 2019, the port announced Dec. 4.

The new terminal is expected to generate an additional 1 million passengers by the contract’s halfway point. It also will free up space for additional sailings at existing terminals. The Port of Galveston and Florida-based Disney Cruise Line inked a long-term deal in January that includes more future sailings, thanks in part to the additional space.

Also in 2021, Florida-based Carnival Cruise Line, part of Miami-based Carnival Corp. (NYSE: CCL), will become the first cruise line to homeport four ships in Galveston.

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

We have plenty of time until Fall 2021 to lobby Royal & the Port of Galveston authorities on what WE want them to spend the $100 Million on...

Well, if it were California it would be $90 million on consultants and then 12 years later the project would be put on permanent hold.   😀😀😀

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Well, if it were California it would be $90 million on consultants and then 12 years later the project would be put on permanent hold.   😀😀😀

But at least California lets you cruise for FREE !!!  Free onboard healthcare, Free alcohol....

No passports needed

Small Print catch: Unlimited space available, but only one way trip: Board in Calif & must debark in Galveston TX...

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

But at least California lets you cruise for FREE !!!  Free onboard healthcare, Free alcohol....

No passports needed

Small Print catch: Unlimited space available, but only one way trip: Board in Calif & must debark in Galveston TX...

Careful, a local city council president suggesting housing it's homeless in cruise ships.

https://www.businessinsider.com/housing-homeless-people-on-cruise-ships-oakland-city-council-proposal-2019-12

20 minutes ago, Philob said:

Careful, a local city council president suggesting housing it's homeless in cruise ships.

https://www.businessinsider.com/housing-homeless-people-on-cruise-ships-oakland-city-council-proposal-2019-12

Years ago I saw a doco of a community in North Africa (it was either Algeria or Morocco can't quite remember now) who had converted an abandoned freighter ship into I guess the equivalent of an apartment block. They had sub divided sections into separate rooms and whole families lived in each room. Toilets were a hole in the ground  outside there was a shared kitchen except one section that had been converted into an eatery business. It was all DIY and didn't look particularly safe in parts but you can't help admire the human ingenuity🤗

On 1/6/2020 at 1:27 PM, NavyCruiser said:

Again, why not?

We pay port charges & same fees was when we fly, so why are we  not demanding the same Dept of Homeland Security be more efficient?

We arrived at Fort Lauderdale on 1/11/20 and the Global Entry line was only accepting travelers with GE Cards as they had no Passport scanner.  I was told by my interviewer for GE that the card would only be needed when crossing into the US by automobile.  Next time I will know better.