Yacht Club inside vs Fantastica inside

kelmac

Hi Everyone,

Here's our story -- We've cruised MSC twice, both times in an Inside YC cabin.  As many of know, or experienced, MSC had to cancel last minute, visits to Ocean Cay this fall.  We are using our 20% discount certificate (we got ours two weeks after the cruise) to book a 14 day cruise on the Seaside next December.  We are wondering how much "culture shock" is it going to be moving from the Yacht Club back to the main area of the ship?  How is the Main Dining Room?  The Buffet?  

Any insight from people that have experienced both areas of the ship would be nice.

Thanks,

Kel😀

31 minutes ago, kelmac said:

Hi Everyone,

Here's our story -- We've cruised MSC twice, both times in an Inside YC cabin.  As many of know, or experienced, MSC had to cancel last minute, visits to Ocean Cay this fall.  We are using our 20% discount certificate (we got ours two weeks after the cruise) to book a 14 day cruise on the Seaside next December.  We are wondering how much "culture shock" is it going to be moving from the Yacht Club back to the main area of the ship?  How is the Main Dining Room?  The Buffet?  

Any insight from people that have experienced both areas of the ship would be nice.

Thanks,

Kel😀

I would say the culture shock will be immeasurable, as in 'off the scale'.....personally wouldn't do it, especially when you have a 20% discount! 😉

• Like 2

I did B2B in YC on Splendida 2 yrs ago and last year did a fantastia inside on Bellisima. I had a great time on both.

Food was better in the YC, but we had great meals and service in the MDR.

Doing a B2B in May, first week in fantastica inside and second it Fantastica aft balcony. The YC is great but for these cruises, Northern Europe, it just wasn't worth the price.

If you go in with the right attitude, you will have a great time.

Lois

We left YC to go to MDR on Seaview for Christmas dinner because we liked the Christmas menu. Had a great time and would consider a non YC cruise in the future. Our server was great and  I don't think we got extra special service due to our escape from the YC as all cruisers appeared to be getting a fast, friendly service. We've already booked YC for next Christmas and are planning our escape nights to the MDR again. We also loved spending time in the Seaside Lounge drinking coffee. Hearing stories of guests waiting 90 minutes for a tender boat does make me apprehensive about booking non YC where tender boats are used.

We ate in the MDR several times on our most recent Seaside cruises. The menus were better (in our opinion) with more choices overall, and service was quick, friendly and very efficient - no guilt or stress from the wait staff that they were busy, so we had to wait longer or that they were so busy we had to order immediately upon seating, etc. The YC dining room left a lot to be desired over the holidays. The staff was friendly, and a few were true standouts but the overall atmosphere was chaotic, rushed, things forgotten, tables not set all the way and pressure to order quick, and get out. Even when dining later, no wait on tables the wait staff was still scrambling, and tables weren't being serviced as they should be, overall.  We "escaped" to the MDR a lot on our second week for calmer, less frenzied service, and wider menu choices.  Go figure.  

Personally, we wouldn't find it any culture shock at all. And would use that extra savings either for another whole cruise, or towards some upgrades to the Bella Inside such as the Thermal Suite - this would give you peace and quiet for deck space plus of course the thermal suite itself, and the PP drink package - more choices than on YC even. And maybe a specialty dinner package. You'd still likely come out way ahead of the costs of a YC. 

We're not the type of YC guests who stay behind the glass doors the whole time, as you've likely guessed. We enjoy the experience, but we also thoroughly enjoy the whole ship, and "venture out" quite a bit, so no "shock" to us... 

For the cabin itself, there's very little difference in size or layout between the two insides, unless you manage to have snagged some of the HC ones in YC or vice versa.  Same bathroom, same layout, etc. So, no shock there. 

YMMV

Thanks everyone!

Just the kind of info I was looking for.  MSC seems similar to NCL as they both have higher taxes/fees compared to other lines.

Their cruise prices seem lower than everyone else until you add in these taxes/fees.  The newer ships of NCL are crowded, just like these new ships of MSC.  I've always picked up the ultimate dining package on NCL as I don't care for their MDR food for the evening meal.  Always enjoyed NCL's alternative restaurants.  I would guess MSC's MDR may be better that NCL.  Anyone want to  compare the two?

Thanks,

Kel😀

In the past couple of years we have alternated between YC inside and Fantastica inside (though frequently upgraded to a balcony), for cruises in the Caribbean and Europe.

For me, I know what I am getting and am happy in both.  My husband on the other hand misses the exclusive touches that come with the YC (I think mostly the feeling of being better than everyone else!).  Since our first MSC cruise on Divina in 2016, I feel the food quality in the MDR has improved significantly (the menu is fancier in the YC though) so I don't think food is a huge difference now.

Despite being on the same ship the experience is definitely different - I find cruises in the YC relaxing (on the pool deck or top sail), while outside the YC they tend to be more social as we move between areas, meet more people and do more activities.  Some of my favourite cruises have been outside the YC for this reason.

Where the price of a YC inside cabin is similar to a normal cabin plus premium drinks package, we would book the YC.   If there is a large price difference then no problem to book a fantastica inside cabin.

Well, here are the numbers:

Using our voucher for missing Ocean Cay on our November cruise (-$630).

An inside Fantastica cabin, (no drink pkg) for 14 nights = $1,844.86

A YC inside cabin, (all the YC perks) for 14 nights = $5,065.86

At these prices, the Yacht Club seems way out of whack.  We loved our two experiences in the YC, but demand is up in the North American market, and it may not be worth it anymore?  Seems like NCL Haven prices now.

Enjoy!

Kel

14 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

As to the cabins, there are only two classes on the ship: "YC Seaside" and "Seaside". I would prefer an inside cabin in the YC to any suite outside YC.

That's exactly our opinion also.

28 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

It’s MSC YC or Celebrity balcony for me, which ever is cheaper.  YIN cabin is definite no-no 

That is a contradiction.....you do know that a YIN cabin is within the MSC YC??

On 1/16/2020 at 9:58 AM, kelmac said:

Thanks everyone!

Just the kind of info I was looking for.  MSC seems similar to NCL as they both have higher taxes/fees compared to other lines.

Their cruise prices seem lower than everyone else until you add in these taxes/fees.  The newer ships of NCL are crowded, just like these new ships of MSC.  I've always picked up the ultimate dining package on NCL as I don't care for their MDR food for the evening meal.  Always enjoyed NCL's alternative restaurants.  I would guess MSC's MDR may be better that NCL.  Anyone want to  compare the two?

Thanks,

Kel😀

I think MSC's MDR is better than NCL's. Note that I have never sailed MSC in the Caribbean, only in Europe.

Love the rissottos and pastas, veal and fish dishes. If you are a meat and potatoes person, you may not like MSC's MDR as much.

I would never sail MSC except in the Yacht Club.  Far too many people.  I absolutely hate being in crowds or standing in line or screaming children.  Seems like every time I ventured out into the rest of the ship there was a toddler having a screaming meltdown.  I love the peacefulness of the Topsail Lounge.

I think you'll find different opinions on YC Inside vs YC balcony. We sailed a YC inside and the only "negatives" were the bathroom is very small and there isn't a lot of closet space. However, the difference in price between YIN abnd YC1 was close to $2K.

We booked Seaside 2x this year and originally were booked again in YIN. However, YC1 prices went down and the price difference was only about $800 (total, for 2). For that price difference we switched.

YIN can often be found at a deep discount. I think it is an excellent way to sail in the YC cheaply. Bathroom and closet space are the things you have to deal with.

Of course if you absolutely need to have a balcony or need to be able to see outside, then that won't work for you...

Kevin

4 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Of course if you absolutely need to have a balcony or need to be able to see outside, then that won't work for you...

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

After 79 cruises and over two years total on cruise ships, we are no longer "cabin" people.  We find inside cabins to be all we need.  It seems to me there is very little difference between a Yacht Club inside and a regular inside cabin on MSC -- both are pretty small.  Yes, you get nice fluffy towels, a stocked refrigerator (which we never used), and a darker decor in the YC, but other than the YC perks there isn't much difference.

I'm more concerned about the MDR food and service; we spent enough time in the buffet area to know about it's offerings and quality.

Are the perks of YC worth $3,221 for 14 days; that's the bottom line.  The only reason we are considering MSC again is the discount voucher we received because we missed Ocean Cay this past November.  Normally, we are Celebrity (33 cruises) or HAL (12 cruises) customers.

Thanks for all the great responses, especially from those of you that have experienced both the YC and the regular MSC,

Kel

28 minutes ago, kelmac said:

Thanks Kevin,

After 79 cruises and over two years total on cruise ships, we are no longer "cabin" people.  We find inside cabins to be all we need.  It seems to me there is very little difference between a Yacht Club inside and a regular inside cabin on MSC -- both are pretty small.  Yes, you get nice fluffy towels, a stocked refrigerator (which we never used), and a darker decor in the YC, but other than the YC perks there isn't much difference.

I'm more concerned about the MDR food and service; we spent enough time in the buffet area to know about it's offerings and quality.

Are the perks of YC worth $3,221 for 14 days; that's the bottom line.  The only reason we are considering MSC again is the discount voucher we received because we missed Ocean Cay this past November.  Normally, we are Celebrity (33 cruises) or HAL (12 cruises) customers.

Thanks for all the great responses, especially from those of you that have experienced both the YC and the regular MSC,

Kel

To us, no they wouldn't be worth $3200 extra. You could easily buy the Thermal Suite, Premium Plus package, and specialty dining packages - and still have money left over for another sailing 

For my personal curiosity - why Fantastica over Bella? The cabin itself is exactly the same, the only "perks" Fantastica gives are cabin location, " priority" on choice of dining time and no delivery fee for room service... Seems you could save even more going Bella.   Personal curiosity, that's all...

The YIN is the same, whether Bella, Fantastica, Aurea or YC.  (Obviously, accessible cabins are different, and YIN has somewhat different decor, but bathroom, closet, layout, one chair, etc all the same regardless).

$3200 is a lot...but to me I would make the decision on relaxation. YC simply relaxes me like no other vacation (cruise or no cruise). I would pay that amount for it.

That being said, it seems like you guys are serious cruisers - 79 - so you probably have a completely different outlook on a cruise than I do. You simply like being on a boat, whereas I simply like being in YC and happen to be on a boat. So for you, I would say don't pay the extra.

When on Seaside, we ate in both YC and "steerage" buffet areas. While YC was definitely better, we thought the buffet was pretty good - better than Carnival and probably equal to or better than RCCL. We never tried the MDR. Food is, as everyone will tell you, subjective, but we thought the non-YC food was good.

8 hours ago, reedprincess said:

To us, no they wouldn't be worth $3200 extra. You could easily buy the Thermal Suite, Premium Plus package, and specialty dining packages - and still have money left over for another sailing 

For my personal curiosity - why Fantastica over Bella? The cabin itself is exactly the same, the only "perks" Fantastica gives are cabin location, " priority" on choice of dining time and no delivery fee for room service... Seems you could save even more going Bella.   Personal curiosity, that's all...

The YIN is the same, whether Bella, Fantastica, Aurea or YC.  (Obviously, accessible cabins are different, and YIN has somewhat different decor, but bathroom, closet, layout, one chair, etc all the same regardless).

rp,

Excellent point!  The only reason I chose Fantastica over Bella was the ability to guarantee "early seating", as we aren't late night people and I can't sleep on a full stomach.  In addition, I am completely comfortable in an inside cabin, as long as it's in a quiet area of the ship.
Since it's my first experience with the Bella vs Fantastica levels, perhaps I could have signed up for a Bella cabin and been just fine and saved a few more bucks?  

Enjoy!

Kel

We've sailed YC and 'steerage' and thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. The service and facilities/tranquility are a step up in YC but I wouldn't pay the figures you've quoted for YC. Our next cruise isn't YC as the price difference was over $3000 per person.

We've only ever had a balcony cabin outside of YC and always Aurea experience as MyChoice dining is important to us. On our recent Meraviglia sailing joined the CC cabin crawl and were impressed with the standard inside cabin. But then I'd strongly disagree that a YIN in unsuitable for adults, the bathroom is beju but we thought the cabin was spacious enough.

We've always had great service and good food in the MDR. The buffet is always busy at peak times on any ship but we've always managed to enjoy lunch there.

5 hours ago, kelmac said:

rp,

Excellent point!  The only reason I chose Fantastica over Bella was the ability to guarantee "early seating", as we aren't late night people and I can't sleep on a full stomach.  In addition, I am completely comfortable in an inside cabin, as long as it's in a quiet area of the ship.
Since it's my first experience with the Bella vs Fantastica levels, perhaps I could have signed up for a Bella cabin and been just fine and saved a few more bucks?  

Enjoy!

Kel

The "priority" for dining time is highly overrated.  Like any line, if the time assigned doesn't suit, go see the maitre'd and they'll change you, if there's space. Being moved to the early times is way easier in MSC than being moved to later times, given the general more European make-up of passengers, and the general tendency for Europeans to eat later than North Americans (obviously generalized, but you get the idea). 5:15 and 5:30 dining times are the easiest ones to move to.  

Something to consider in the future, if your plan works out.  Bella would save you even more, if the room service thing isn't a big deal. 

Happy sails. 

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

The "priority" for dining time is highly overrated.  Like any line, if the time assigned doesn't suit, go see the maitre'd and they'll change you, if there's space. Being moved to the early times is way easier in MSC than being moved to later times, given the general more European make-up of passengers, and the general tendency for Europeans to eat later than North Americans (obviously generalized, but you get the idea). 5:15 and 5:30 dining times are the easiest ones to move to.  

Something to consider in the future, if your plan works out.  Bella would save you even more, if the room service thing isn't a big deal. 

Happy sails. 

rp,

Excellent point about the European customer base (They do tend to eat later in the evening)!  I checked out our booking and it would have been $135 cheaper to go with the Bella inside cabin.  I'm going to leave it as it stands because even though we booked last Tuesday, MSC has not finalized the booking because of the whole Voucher issue.  In addition, there is some question as to whether I'm still Black Card status (long story).

Thanks again for your insight,

Kel😉

8 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

....But then I'd strongly disagree that a YIN in unsuitable for adults, the bathroom is beju but we thought the cabin was spacious enough.....

Agree absolutely and, if you can find a 5+15% off voyage and also use a discounting TA, you can snag the YC for the equivalent of $150pppn in a YIN....that, in our view, is an unbeatable bargain! 

• Like 1