Viking Danube Waltz River Cruise from Budapest

westwindies

Hi,

I would like an opinion on an experienced passenger on this cruise that we are planning to book around August this year. The itinerary shows Day 1 and Day 2 in Budapest. There are excursions listed for Budapest on Day 2. While I understand Budapest is such a magnificent city with so many places to visit and that it may take weeks to months to explore, is there a true benefit in adding the 2-day 'Pre-cruise' in Budapest. The whole point of doing this cruise is to visit multiple cities while enjoying the luxury of a cruise.

Besides that, any tips related to this cruise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I haven't even been on a river cruise.  But I have been to Budapest.  😀

While I can't respond to your specific questions, I would like to express my opinion that Budapest is a terrific place to visit.  Spending a couple extra days there would be time well spent.  It is also a very easy city to do on your own with a little research.  

Enjoy.  

• Like 1

Howdy @westwindies and welcome to Cruise Critic!! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍  

Since your new thread concerns a specific type of cruise, I have moved your thread to the River Cruising forum where it will be on-topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed or will be sailing river cruises frequent the forum. Regarding Budapest, you will want to research the River Cruise Ports forum.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for all cruisers, whether new or experienced, and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there that will be helpful. Also, you will find your fellow Cruise Critic members have posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful to a new member and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!  emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Hi Westwindies, 

We haven't sailed with Viking, however my Brother & Sister in Law love the line.  I am planning a Danube cruise with Avalon May 2021, so have been keeping an eye on the boards for info.  

The only thing that is chancy about sailing in the fall is that the water levels could be low....you may want to check out a thread from last year for Danube Water Levels, it will be long, but give you a good idea as to how various lines handle the problem.

Our Avalon cruise has a 2 night included pre-stay in Budapest (and 2 nights in Prague), and I am wishing we could add extra time to see the city...it sounds like a great place to visit.

I found this thread for you about a Viking cruise, maybe you will find something in it you will enjoy. 

It was way back in 2011 but we did the Viking Danube Waltz cruise from Budapest and loved it! In fact, that's what prompted us to follow with three other river cruises with Viking. As for Budapest, we did only the two days at the first of the cruise and  we felt that Viking provided a very good overview of the city, both sides, and definitely hit all the highlights. In the free time we saw some other things on our own so we were satisfied with our time in Budapest. Of course if you have the time and money, the extra days will give you a much more in-depth look at this amazing city.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:14 PM, westwindies said:

Thank you Daisi,

Being totally new to River Cruising, it is interesting to know how water level affects the journey. I will definitely check that out. 

My friend did this trip in September 2018 which did have severe low waters. They were on 3 different boats and felt they missed quite a bit due to being bused. They hated packing and unpacking and switching ships. Not to be negative.... My TA considers this a plus that Viking can switch people from boat to boat. My friends wish their trip had been cancelled or diverted. This happened to many lines (not unique to Viking).

Hope for decent rain but not too much rain.

Edited by Coral

If the water levels are bone-dry, Viking's ability to switch ships is a plus.  Although as noted above, when you are on your third ship the experience is no better than a bus trip (the better ones spend at least 2 nights in each hotel) and maybe worse (the bus rides on these ship swap sailings got to be incredibly long).

But if water levels are only low, Viking's ships are the first to stop sailing so you would be better off on other lines that can sail right past the stranded Viking ships.

But you can avoid most of the problems by choosing itineraries that avoid the low spots.  Vilshofen to Budapest is safe until the bitter end [the bad stretch is between Vilshofen and Passau].  The Rhine is generally safe except in really bad years.  The Douro, Seine and Bordeaux don't have water-level issues.  [OTOH, the Elbe and Loire are the worst of all.]

• Like 1

Choosing a favourable itinerary is certainly key, together with looking at the season/month and the draft of the ship.

@Host Jazzbeau If I may be so direct, I need to make an important correction to your post. The bad area in drought is between Straubing and Vilshofen. Passau a little further downstream is fine, but has that issue with the low bridge in flooding.

A minor detail for the OP to note, but in the worst year of drought so far for the river cruising industry on the Danube, that was 2018, it was a reality: on the German Danube the river is not closed to traffic in drought, but in Hungary authorities do close the Danube at Budapest for safety reasons.

notamermaid

• Like 1

My wife and I did the Romantic Danube cruise with Viking from Budapest in November 2015, so my experience is first hand, though a little dated. We did arrive early and were glad we did. I found a local tour guide that was very helpful. Knowing we would be on the Viking city tour one day, he designed another long day of sights in the city and surrounding area. He even took us to his parent's house in the suburbs for an authentic meal and arranged a special musical performance.

We also experienced low river issues that forced us to change ships. While a little aggravating, we were rewarded with coach drives through some very beautiful countrysides that we would not have seen on the river. We did not miss any port or tour - we just had less time on the ship. Viking was very good at working around the problem. If you are willing to "go with the flow". the low river issues should not hold you back. This is one river cruise I am looking forward to repeating.

• Like 1