Cruise Price Fluctuations

cruizer_1618

We’re looking to book a Grand Suite on Liberty of the Seas, but have noticed the price jump $200 from a week ago, then an additional $100 today. So the price has jumped $300 in 3 weeks. There are still plenty of Grand Suites available—why would the price keep increasing? The cruise is set for November 2020. Is it typical for the price to go up and down for a cruise set 10 months away? We’ve done this same cruise/suite several time before and don’t remember the rate fluctuating so much before when pricing it out. 

This being Wave Season (cruise lines go heavy on ad's) where many book their 2020 cruises with current Sales Promos .

Better Sales may come later but it is time to at least lock in availability at current Promo rate.

Plus no way of knowing how many Guarantee's have not been assigned a suite yet.

1 hour ago, cruizer_1618 said:

We’re looking to book a Grand Suite on Liberty of the Seas, but have noticed the price jump $200 from a week ago, then an additional $100 today. So the price has jumped $300 in 3 weeks. There are still plenty of Grand Suites available—why would the price keep increasing? The cruise is set for November 2020. Is it typical for the price to go up and down for a cruise set 10 months away? We’ve done this same cruise/suite several time before and don’t remember the rate fluctuating so much before when pricing it out. 

Econ 101: Supply and Demand.

Cruise prices fluctuate just like airline tickets and hotels/resorts, but predicting which way they'll go is impossible. If you see a price you like, grab it. If the price drops later, before final payment, then reprice it.

Edited by mom says

One thing is for certain.  They will CHANGE.  How they will change, is unknown to everyone.

Think of cruise prices like the stock market, different things, some invisible to us, make it go up and down. 🙂

Cruise pricing is similar to hotel rooms, airfare, etc.  The vendor is looking for the sweet spot where it can maximize cash flow.  If things are selling, prices may rise, if not, prices may fall.  Sometimes they just stay steady.  Find a price you are comfortable with and then book.  If prices drop before your final payment you can generally avail yourself of that drop.  If they rise you are price protected.  My last cruise I refared twice. My next cruise I am paying what I booked initially.  You never know what may happen.

I've noticed quite a few itineraries (especially on bigger ships and better itineraries) going up in price because the demand is there. For as much as the media tries to tell you no one can make ends meet because billionaires exist, the economy is doing well for a lot of people. Demand is up and price goes up. I'm still 9 months out for my off-peak season cruise that has already gone up in price 20% over the past few months.

Just booked it 😁 Royal Caribbean has a price guarantee that allows us to get a lower rate if the price drops. We’d get the difference as an on-board credit. We can request this up to 45 days prior to sail date. So it all worked out. 

17 hours ago, mom says said:

Cruise prices fluctuate just like airline tickets and hotels/resorts, but predicting which way they'll go is impossible. If you see a price you like, grab it. If the price drops later, before final payment, then reprice it.

Quantity and time.

Cruises, planes and hotels have something in common - they all have a finite number of beds/seats per cruise/flight/night. And they have a looming deadline, after which sales for that 'product' become zero. That being so, it is more likely that prices will change, compared with something with a less limited supply, especially when considering that when the time comes, they do not want to leave with any empty beds/seats.

6 hours ago, cruizer_1618 said:

Just booked it 😁 Royal Caribbean has a price guarantee that allows us to get a lower rate if the price drops. We’d get the difference as an on-board credit. We can request this up to 45 days prior to sail date. So it all worked out. 

Most cruise lines do that.  And you would not get the difference as an OBC - your fare would be repriced at the lower rate. The pricing would be repriced at the time of the drop and can be done anytime the price would go down.  Any price changes resulting from a fare decrease, however, would have be done prior to final payment.  But you have to monitor pricing yourself and need to contact RCI to have this done if booked directly - they do not do this proactively for you.  If booked through a TA, if they are a good agent, they should monitor and do this on your behalf.  Have done this many times, but unless this is something new, never heard of it being available 45 days from sailing - I would double check that with whomever told you that.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Any price changes resulting from a fare decrease, however, would have be done prior to final payment.  But you have to monitor pricing yourself and need to contact RCI to have this done if booked directly - they do not do this proactively for you.  If booked through a TA, if they are a good agent, they should monitor and do this on your behalf.  Have done this many times, but unless this is something new, never heard of it being available 45 days from sailing - I would double check that with whomever told you that.

This has been our experience as well - definitely done prior to final payment. Never heard of 45 days.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice. I created a price alert for my cruise and have called RCI every time it has dropped. They were more than happy to honor the lower rate every time. As of today I’ve saved almost $1400 from the original price. I wonder if the Corona Virus scare has people worried about booking cruise vacations and they are dropping prices. We’re getting a great deal on a Grand Suite on Liberty. :)