Passport Questions

Lightning85

I just received my travel doc's Saturday and it said my passport has to be valid for 6 months after the Caribbean cruise.  I am not departing the ship on any destination and my passport is valid for only 5 months after the cruise.  Can I still cruise with my passport?  I'm not getting off the ship till I get back to Miami...Doesn't sound fair.  This is my last cruise too.

Today is the 26th of January and I only got my travel Doc's yesterday.   Was never told of the 6 month rule by the Oceania rep when I booked.  Just found out yesterday.  Not sure I can get it back before the cruise on 11 March.

I will call them again but when I called yesterday I was on hold for 20 minutes while they spoke to a supervisor who said 6 months.  Being handicapped it makes it a little hard to travel about 40 miles to renew it.  Thanks, I'll manage.  Still not fair.

Another reason to use a Travel Agent. Mine would have looked at my passport data and told me when I booked the cruise that I needed to update my passport.

Obvious example of someone that needs a true travel professional to hold their hand. From this saga, Oceania’s clerks obviously don’t do that.

• Haha 1

I was fine, until I read your stmt of not being fair!??   Please see the Terms and Conditions of your cruise:  

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

Passport and Visa requirements, and regulations in regards to vaccination certificates and other health requirements vary by destination. It is the sole responsibility of each guest to obtain and have available the appropriate valid travel and health documents for their chosen itinerary. Any guest traveling without the proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of cruise fare or any other travel components purchased from Oceania Cruises will be issued. Passports must be valid six months from the date of trip completion. Due to airline security measures, your passport name must match your airline ticket name or you may be denied boarding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lightning85 said:

I'm not getting off the ship till I get back to Miami.

You don't know that. You could have a medical problem that required your going ashore. Then you'r e really in a mess. Not sure why you think it's not "fair."

• Like 4

We once had to cancel a cruise we really wanted to take because DH's passport only had 5 months left.  We knew about the 6 month rule so we knew we didn't have a choice.

I agree that you should renew your passport by mail with expedited service OR use a service, but I suspect that would be more expensive than doing it yourself.  I have renewed by mail with expedited service and received it earlier than anticipated.  The most difficult part of the process is getting new passport photos.  All necessary forms can be found online.

Mura

The Oceania person certainly SHOULD have mentioned it.  I will say that my TA always reminds me of the rule when we book a cruise.  And that's in writing, when I get confirmation of having made the deposit.

• Like 2

We booked directly with Oceania as well and toward the bottom of my initial invoice for my cruise it clearly states:

"It is imperative that all guests obtain the necessary travel documents prior to the vacation departure date. Failure to produce the correct visa and valid passport at embarkation will result in denial of boarding. Please ensure passport is valid at least 6 months after the cruise return date. Birth certificates, copies of passports and passport cards are not accepted."

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lightning85 said:

I just received my travel doc's Saturday and it said my passport has to be valid for 6 months after the Caribbean cruise.  I am not departing the ship on any destination and my passport is valid for only 5 months after the cruise.  Can I still cruise with my passport?  I'm not getting off the ship till I get back to Miami...Doesn't sound fair.  This is my last cruise too.

You bet iti will be your last  because they will deny you boarding...with no refund  because it is the law to have 6 months  and they told you so......   It is the law  even iy you think in not fair....   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

You can renew by mail. You will need new photos.

your local post office  has the paperwork.... go to a mailbox etc store  they and many others do passport pic.... you could have many options to renew within a few miles/min  travel

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lightning85 said:

What bad info on this board...  (except KS&JW)  Get your photos done at CVS and use a Passport/Visa service -- they can get this done in a week.  You can use VISACENTRAL (the one Oceania recommends) or the one I use Passportvisaexpress.com.   Do not use the mail.

Edited by PaulMCO

35 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

What bad info on this board...  (except KS&JW)  Get your photos done at CVS and use a Passport/Visa service -- they can get this done in a week.  You can use VISACENTRAL (the one Oceania recommends) or the one I use Passportvisaexpress.com.   Do not use the mail.

I absolutely would (and have) used expedited svc directly with the State Dept when renewing a passport. You can send certified or express if you feel the need for extra speed (pretty sure you can even send UPS or Fedex if you want). Why give an agency money when I can do it just as well myself. YOU might not follow that advice, but it's not BAD advice. That's merely your opinion.

• Like 1