What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

An update - the Silversea ship in Chile is the Silver Explorer, one of their smaller expedition vessels. However it is now being reported that there is a second ship involved, the Azamara Pursuit.

Edited by Belfast Taxman

Another update😳 looks like no Covid 19 found on Azamara Pursuit as she has been released from the port in the Chilean fjords and is now sailing to Valparaiso for final disembarkation. Not such good news for Silver Explorer where one Covid 19 case confirmed. Ship confined to port.

Edited by Belfast Taxman

23 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Given the choice of a full refund or a FCC, please consider the FCC. I’m unpopular enough on here do I might as well suggest something else that could be unpopular too! Since we can afford it, please consider helping the cruise line we care about and the crew. It’s a risk, yes, but if we sail regent we can afford the possibility of losing that money.

Karen, I have no issue with the sentiment that you express here, and no problem at all with your making that suggestion.  However, there is another factor that some may wish to take into account and that is the issue of trip insurance, which I posted on another thread.

If you cancel a cruise and re-book another using FCCs, you may be able to transfer the dates of the policy from the original cruise to the new one, just pay a difference in premium if the new cruise is more expensive.  However, it is likely that if you want to change your travel dates, your policy's dates must be changed prior to the first trip's original departure date. This means you to have the new trip booked prior to the original departure.

So for those whose cruises have been cancelled, if they take the FCC and do not use it to book a new cruise quickly, they will not only likely lose their premium on their insurance plan, but even worse, they will not be able to insure their new trip, at least the portion that the FCC applied to.  As I understand it, you cannot take out a policy to insure used future credits.

Another wrinkle to this, is that insurance companies have time limits that restrict the time between which you originally took out the policy, and the date of the new cruise.  In my case, I cannot transfer my Alianz policy that I took out in April, 2018 for my March 14 Splendor cruise to the one that I re booked in May 2021, since it exceeds their 770 day limit.  So it appears that I will be doing this sailing uninsured, a prospect that I do not relish.

I mention this only because had I had the option to receive a refund rather than FCC, (I didn't because I cancelled the cruise before Regent cancelled the sailing), I would have been able to purchase a new policy.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:38 AM, kjbacon said:

Given the choice of a full refund or a FCC, please consider the FCC. I’m unpopular enough on here do I might as well suggest something else that could be unpopular too! Since we can afford it, please consider helping the cruise line we care about and the crew. It’s a risk, yes, but if we sail regent we can afford the possibility of losing that money.

I respect your opinion, although I don't agree with it.   JMHO  NCL is a company like any other.  I do not work there nor do I run it, nor am I responsible for it.  Just like the airlines, cruise lines make lots of money.  Along with that there are lots of rules for us passengers.  Contracts that basically cover the companies butt.  Cancel, you don't get your money back, fees, fees and fees, etc. People that canceled cruise to get a FCC and then cruise lines cancel, Oh, too bad, you decided to take a FCC and now other people on that cruise get a refund. Very convenient for the cruise line. Not to mention the insurance companies that make tons of $$$$ and then give many reasons to deny claims when we need it. 

Now that times are tough, I  will take a cash refund on both my cruise and airfare if I can.  My DH and I are my number one concern.  Not a company.  

I do wonder, after NCL has gotten a lot of people to take FCC and now leaving ships sit for 30 days, how much are they really losing? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Karen, I have no issue with the sentiment that you express here, and no problem at all with your making that suggestion.  However, there is another factor that some may wish to take into account and that is the issue of trip insurance, which I posted on another thread.

Thank you, Bob, I did think of this aspect of things. We have never taken trip insurance so it never even crossed my mind.

25 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I respect your opinion, although I don't agree with it.   JMHO  NCL is a company like any other.  I do not work there nor do I run it, nor am I responsible for it.  Just like the airlines, cruise lines make lots of money.  Along with that there are lots of rules for us passengers.  Contracts that basically cover the companies butt. 

You make a good point and to be fair, I didn’t think of that either.

With everything going on and living in a very hard hit county, we were discussing how concerned we were about some of our local merchants that we have known for years. At the rate we are going here and carefully following the spread over the last 3 days, it’s likely that some (perhaps many) will lose their business. Just got us in a very philanthropic mode.

2 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

You make a good point and to be fair, I didn’t think of that either.

With everything going on and living in a very hard hit county, we were discussing how concerned we were about some of our local merchants that we have known for years. At the rate we are going here and carefully following the spread over the last 3 days, it’s likely that some (perhaps many) will lose their business. Just got us in a very philanthropic mode.

You also make a good point about the local merchants.    I wish I had the power to wave a magic wand and make it all better, but I don't.  So as concerned as I am about the economy, etc. I have decided to focus on my family and I first.  

I do believe in time, that this virus will be over and everyone will be fine.  How long that will take?  Who knows. 

On 3/6/2020 at 4:52 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

You are so down on the USA. Possibly, you may want to choose to move to another country? I think this is the greatest country in the world. Wishing you a lovely and healthy cruise. The same to all who choose to leave and travel at this time.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:36 AM, bbtondo said:

I do believe in time, that this virus will be over and everyone will be fine. 

Not quite everyone. There are 75 dead from it in the US and 4 dead here in Canada, so far. How about shutting down this thread. Maybe a new one 'Life on board after Covid-19', or some such title. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travlr21 said:

Not quite everyone. There are 75 dead from it in the US and 4 dead here in Canada, so far. How about shutting down this thread. Maybe a new one 'Life on board after Covid-19', or some such title. Stay safe everyone.

Really?  Go have a cocktail and chill...

• Like 3

Cruisers lack of understanding of a Wall Street cliche is apparent.  "Hold your nose and buy" is a cliche meaning that this may be a good long-term investment because of strong fundamentals. This author seems to think Norwegian is a strong company in the cruise space and cruisers (and investors) should have hope going forward. (Not investment advice.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fran&Steve said:

Cruisers lack of understanding of a Wall Street cliche is apparent.  "Hold your nose and buy" is a cliche meaning that this may be a good long-term investment because of strong fundamentals. This author seems to think Norwegian is a strong company in the cruise space and cruisers (and investors) should have hope going forward. (Not investment advice.)

No investment advice here either, but there’s another Wall Street cliche warning against trying to “catch a falling knife.” Just because a stock has fallen substantially, there’s no guarantee the low price means it’s a good buy.

I don’t think there’s going to be huge pent up demand when the ships start sailing again, and the cruise lines might very well have to resort to substantially discounted prices to lure folks back on board. I wouldn’t make a final payment on a cruise for later this year unless I had some sort of assurance I could take advantage of the inevitable price cuts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

No investment advice here either, but there’s another Wall Street cliche warning against trying to “catch a falling knife.” Just because a stock has fallen substantially, there’s no guarantee the low price means it’s a good buy.

I don’t think there’s going to be huge pent up demand when the ships start sailing again, and the cruise lines might very well have to resort to substantially discounted prices to lure folks back on board. I wouldn’t make a final payment on a cruise for later this year unless I had some sort of assurance I could take advantage of the inevitable price cuts.

Agree BarbarianPaul, specially if that falling knife was due in part to some alleged shenanigans by NCL management. 

And I also agree about your opinion of lack of "huge pent up demand" after the crisis is seemingly over. People will be skittish about getting on cruise ships , and the regular fare $$$ is not going to provide enough enticement. 

We were due to join a cruise in May and had paid a deposit. I took advantage of Regent’s offer to pay in full and convert to a ‘future cruise credit’. If, when sailings start again and we are no longer fearful of the virus, there are special reduced offers for Regent cruises will we be able to take advantage of the special reduced rates using our credit?

Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel-Issued March 19

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. A drop in the bucket in terms of the pandemic foisted on the world by the totalitarian regime of China. The "experts" should look into that instead of trying to scapegoat the cruise industry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The crew fund goes to helping support the 2 week onboard rotation for crew section sponsored parties/themes in the crew bar. I used to think it went towards helping crew fly home etc. and maybe part of it actually does but I was told otherwise. I keep an open mind and would love to see evidence I am wrong so please share it if you have it. I don't even think they keep the funds in a bank account but rather a shipboard account.

8 hours ago, Pcardad said:

The crew fund goes to helping support the 2 week onboard rotation for crew section sponsored parties/themes in the crew bar. I used to think it went towards helping crew fly home etc. and maybe part of it actually does but I was told otherwise. I keep an open mind and would love to see evidence I am wrong so please share it if you have it. I don't even think they keep the funds in a bank account but rather a shipboard account.

My understanding is the same.  Perhaps Regent could put together a fund to contribute to.  Really appreciating your input.  Keep it up!