What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Getting back on topic, all this talk about 70+ seems rather moot if there are no ports to go to.  French Polynesia just closed its ports to cruising, so the Navigator has nowhere to go. People are just now getting ready to board in Auckland and will probably have to be flown home. I assume that is the reason I have not heard anything from Regent even though Oceania has already informed their passengers of the cancellation of all cruises in French Polynesia. Shutting down the entire operation for a couple of months a la Princess and Viking seems to make much more sense right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BBWC said:

Getting back on topic, all this talk about 70+ seems rather moot if there are no ports to go to.  French Polynesia just closed its ports to cruising, so the Navigator has nowhere to go. People are just now getting ready to board in Auckland and will probably have to be flown home. I assume that is the reason I have not heard anything from Regent even though Oceania has already informed their passengers of the cancellation of all cruises in French Polynesia. Shutting down the entire operation for a couple of months a la Princess and Viking seems to make much more sense right now.

I agree that it'll be moot shortly. And when things quiet down they'll have to beg people to come back, not burden them with required paperwork  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Voyager easiest to cancel as bare minimum crew onboard and no one wants to sail to Europe now.  Explorer or Splendor will stay in Caribbean for close to home sailing.  Mariner will finish her revised world cruise and then head to Alaska (which hopefully will be open by then or she will be parked in San Francisco).

Navigator is for sale, and they will probably shop the Mariner and Voyager, too, in case they can get some easy money.

Marc

PS As for predictions about COVID-19, I believe USA will top out at about 20,000 cases and 400 dead but it could go as high as 40,000 with 800 dead.  Given we average over 3,2000 deaths per day from car accidents; a drop in the bucket.

3,200 deaths per day is for the entire world.  About 110 motor vehicle deaths per day in the US.  Some estimates have significant per centages of the population (like 25%+) getting COVID-19.  At the lowball mortality rate of 1%,  that would be 750,000 deaths.  More than a drop in the bucket.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Some of you have said that you feel you will be much safer on a Regent ship than other ships or other locations. If no one on the ship, crew or passenger, has the virus, has contacted anyone with the virus, or gets on or off at any port, you may be on to something.

Suffice it to say that people have to get to the ship and most will come from an airplane so statistics aren’t favorable from any angle.

It is just as likely that you will catch the virus sitting next to someone in a gorgeous bar with a complimentary high end cocktail as it is to catch it from someone in a bigger, louder bar with overpriced low quality cocktails.

At the end of the day, it is not possible to practice proper social distancing on any cruise ship, a Regent cruise is a group of over 250 people, and it is unnecessary travel. Most of us who travel on Regent are in the high risk category.

Not only are you risking your safety, you are risking the safety of others. At the rate of spread, it will be a short time before those in need from any kind of medical emergency won’t be able to get a bed in the Intensive Care Unit. 

Since I'm one of those who has expressed the opinion that I'm safer onboard the Mariner than at home, I'm going to respond to this.

So what would you have those of us who have been on the same Regent ship since early- to mid-January do?  Jump overboard?  

We haven't taken on any new guests since Sydney -- almost 2 weeks ago.  We have taken onboard two (I think) lecturers/entertainers in Adelaide.  Most of the excursions have involved busses/vans of Regent guests coming into contact with a handful of locals in port.  

I'm not uninformed or naive.  When I say I'm safer onboard the Mariner, I'm taking into account many variables.  I live in northwest Washington state.  My community has confirmed cases of COVID-19.  There are no cases that we know of on the ship, and with the massive disinfecting protocols ongoing, I still feel the risk of acquisition/sharing is less than it would be for me at home.  Disembarking and returning home would involve passing through multiple airports and at least two shuttles, none of which has history of stellar high-level disinfecting protocols.  

My decision to stay the course is based on the best knowledge of my own personal situation combined with risk assessment based on the best info available from the CDC, WHO, WA state/Seattle/Bellingham/Whatcom County health officials.  Regent may decide to do something completely different again -- and I'll deal with that when/if it occurs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Artsy-crafty, if I were in your shoes I definitely would stay on as you are. I had to cancel my April 1 cruise, but that’s a different situation. I am appalled at the rudeness of some posters. It really disappoints me. You enjoy yourself. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BBWC said:

I would be very interested to see this announcement in writing in relation to Regent Navigator, we are on the 28 March 10 night ex PPT back to PPT around FRENCH Polynesia only . We have not  received any advice from Regent. Every person must produce a Medical Certificate min 5 days before entry, whether flying or cruising.

please elaborate your source.

(there was a bit of noise about NOT allowing the big cruise ships to call into French Polynesia on their way north, but,  nothing official about this yet.)

20 minutes ago, jessandarnie said:

I would be very interested to see this announcement in writing in relation to Regent Navigator, we are on the 28 March 10 night ex PPT back to PPT around FRENCH Polynesia only . We have not  received any advice from Regent. Every person must produce a Medical Certificate min 5 days before entry, whether flying or cruising.

(there was a bit of noise about NOT allowing the big cruise ships to call into French Polynesia on their way north, but,  nothing official about this yet.)

https://www.radio1.pf/les-paquebots-bannis-du-fenua-jusquau-11-avril/

Official announcement on radio FP.

The paul gauguin March 7 th cruise was cut short and the ship is returning to Papeete. Passengers are allowed to stay on board until their flight on the 18 th. 

23 minutes ago, jessandarnie said:

just read on the Oceania Roll Call, that French Polynesia HAVE now banned ALL ships from Entering their waters. Pax have received an email from Oceania.

are now going to call Regent re our 28 March, departure.

Gosh the whole world has gone into panic mode, let’s sincerely hope this does not get much worse for everyone.

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

This is what we received from Regent (via our TA).  I also have the medical form.  

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR VOYAGE 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner, 

To ensure the safety and well-being of all Regent guests and crew worldwide, all guests aged 70 and older must now provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel at embarkation. 

This simple and easy-to-complete Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form must be signed by a qualified treating physician and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of your cruise’s embarkation, or by seven days prior from the start of your travel if you are traveling for more than seven days before your voyage. 

The Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form can be downloaded from the Travel Health Advisory page on www.rssc.com, which also contains the proactive and comprehensive set of preventative measures Regent has enacted to help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew while on board. 

Please bring the completed form with you for embarkation. Guests aged 70 and older without the Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel completed will be denied boarding. 

We appreciate your attention to this important matter, which will help Regent continue to maintain among the most stringent health and safety protocols in the hospitality industry and help ensure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. 

We look forward to welcoming you on board. 

Sincerely, 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers: 

· United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123 

· United Kingdom: 02380 682280 

· Rest of Europe: +44 (2380) 682140 

· Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200 

· Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

If this is Regent’s approach to weed out those with high risk factors who are of a “certain age”, IMHO they are using poor logic. What about those who are booked on upcoming cruises that happen to be BELOW a certain age? The CDC has come out, verbally and in writing, that people SIXTY AND OVER should NOT cruise right now. Period. So why (rhetorical question) would Regent pick 70 as the starting point? Why not 70 and a half? Or 72? Heck, why not just push it to 80 and eliminate two entire decades. The fact is, many underlying conditions do not begin or end at a magic age. I believe the form should either be sent to EVERYONE...or no one. This new procedure could be viewed as discriminatory in certain circles.

23 minutes ago, gr'aunt said:

If this is Regent’s approach to weed out those with high risk factors who are of a “certain age”, IMHO they are using poor logic. What about those who are booked on upcoming cruises that happen to be BELOW a certain age? The CDC has come out, verbally and in writing, that people SIXTY AND OVER should NOT cruise right now. Period. So why (rhetorical question) would Regent pick 70 as the starting point? Why not 70 and a half? Or 72? Heck, why not just push it to 80 and eliminate two entire decades. The fact is, many underlying conditions do not begin or end at a magic age. I believe the form should either be sent to EVERYONE...or no one. This new procedure could be viewed as discriminatory in certain circles.

Agree with you.  However, if this becomes “law”(?), it would be the result of a Federal Official (do not recall who it was - it have been V.P. Pence) meeting with cruise lines to determine the best steps to take to control the virus.  If I recall correctly, it was right after that meeting that new rules went into effect on Regent ships (similar to Code Red).  

Although I do not know whether the “70 above” rule has actually taken effect yet.  Our TA (who will be on the March 14th cruise), received it from Regent.  They probably advised them that this could take effect while we were at sea and they needed to know that it may happen.  Just guessing about this based on the fact that Regent has the notification ready.

Edited by Travelcat2

7 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Since I'm one of those who has expressed the opinion that I'm safer onboard the Mariner than at home, I'm going to respond to this.

So what would you have those of us who have been on the same Regent ship since early- to mid-January do?  Jump overboard?  

We haven't taken on any new guests since Sydney -- almost 2 weeks ago.  We have taken onboard two (I think) lecturers/entertainers in Adelaide.  Most of the excursions have involved busses/vans of Regent guests coming into contact with a handful of locals in port.  

I'm not uninformed or naive.  When I say I'm safer onboard the Mariner, I'm taking into account many variables.  I live in northwest Washington state.  My community has confirmed cases of COVID-19.  There are no cases that we know of on the ship, and with the massive disinfecting protocols ongoing, I still feel the risk of acquisition/sharing is less than it would be for me at home.  Disembarking and returning home would involve passing through multiple airports and at least two shuttles, none of which has history of stellar high-level disinfecting protocols.  

My decision to stay the course is based on the best knowledge of my own personal situation combined with risk assessment based on the best info available from the CDC, WHO, WA state/Seattle/Bellingham/Whatcom County health officials.  Regent may decide to do something completely different again -- and I'll deal with that when/if it occurs.

It’s good to hear that we are in agreement that it is safest to stay put right now. Traveling to and from a cruise ship, as you just said, is an unnecessary risk that those of us in high risks groups should not be taking.

It hadn't occurred to me that it would be helpful to mention that I didn’t think that anyone currently onboard a cruise should jump overboard because I assumed that we were all discussing whether or not at risk people should start a new cruise. See what happens when we assume?! I’m happy to clarify my position. I feel strongly that those in high risk categories should not travel unnecessarily, avoiding airplanes and cruise ships. Thanks to the quoted poster for rightfully pointing out that we also should be avoiding shuttle buses.

I feel strongly that those of us in high risk categories who are currently on board a cruise should not jump overboard. We were on board the Explorer end of January into mid February when this was in the early stages and none of us considered jumping.

As for you living in Northwest Washington State, I hear you. Our best friends that we just cruised with live there too and we are in daily contact with them, what a mess! We are wondering if that area could be one of the next to be quarantined. 

Just heard that French Polynesia have closed all ports to cruise ships and those in the area must go to Pappette asap so that all passengers can be repatriated to save there medical facilities for the locals. So this means our Navigator cruise from Tahiti to Lima from April 7th must be off. 

The State Department has just posted this:

Global Level 3 Health Advisory - Reconsider Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.  Many areas throughout the world are now experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and taking action that may limit traveler mobility, including quarantines and border restrictions. Even countries, jurisdictions, or areas where cases have not been reported may restrict travel without notice.   

Edited by Portolan

32 minutes ago, behooves said:

Does anyone know the answer to this question:  If Mr. and Mrs. Geezer arrive at the pier sans their signed permission slip and are denied boarding, do they get a refund?  An FCC? or are they SOL?

My question is, do Mr. and Mrs.Geezer even have to show up at the pier since this might involve a flight?

1 hour ago, behooves said:

Does anyone know the answer to this question:  If Mr. and Mrs. Geezer arrive at the pier sans their signed permission slip and are denied boarding, do they get a refund?  An FCC? or are they SOL?

According to the Regent website as of this minute: "Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% Future Cruise Credit."

1 hour ago, behooves said:

Regent's position is that the Geezer's have to apply for a refund from the travel insurance that you purchased for the cruise, which of course will not refund your money unless you paid mucho extra for the "Cancel for Any Reason" option.

4 minutes ago, mdunne48 said:

According to the Regent website as of this minute: "Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% Future Cruise Credit."

I believe that this clause applies to those that are denied boarding due to having traveled to high risk areas, coming into contact with those that have, have a temp over 38C, or receive a failing grade on their health questionnaire, not to this new drs permission requirement.  I actually can't find the new requirement for over 70s on the web site, I guess that people with upcoming cruises are getting this notification via email?

Does this mean that it is not yet official policy?  Does anyone have any indication whether this is only a short term requirement or is this for now and forever?

This question might have already been addressed.

We have booked a cruise for the fall of this year 

and have paid our down payment. Our balance is

due next month. Would Regent allow us to put the

downpayment on a future cruise if we were to

opt out of the fall cruise?