What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

5 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

What’s so bad about us Europeans???

Maybe it is comforting to some people to create scapegoats during crisis situations.

First the Chinese, then cruise-lines, then Italy, now Europe. 
Not sure how us Brits escaped being tarred with the same broad brush, but I am sure our time will come; especially with all TransAtlantic travel being funnelled through UK airports 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

IMHO, this latest edict defies logic and is against W.H.O. guidance.

It is unlikely to stop or slow the spread of covid-19 in the U.S., but will create further panic and adversely affect business and the world economy.

Totally agree, an absurd move.

All this is likely to do is cause the cruise industry to totally close down, also many airlines will not survive this.

Will Regent now mass cancel future cruise itinerary's as where will the pax come from?

Will they survive this hit? The markets today will be total mayhem !!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Not sure how us Brits escaped being tarred with the same broad brush, but I am sure our time will come; especially with all TransAtlantic travel being funnelled through UK airports 🙄

Because you are not part of Schengen.  The original advisory against Northern Italy did not make sense given free access across Schengen borders.  The rules for repatriation of Americans should be interesting; just testing or testing and self quarantine.

Marc

• Like 1

Marc

just spoke to a friend who has a fairly senior position at Paris CDG airport. She confirmed that as of now there are no arrangements for screening of US residents pre-flight and her opinion was that there would be zero chance of that being in place by the weekend. The idea that this would be carried out on any “official” basis by US govt. staff on French soil, she considered to be simply ridiculous.

Some of you have said that you feel you will be much safer on a Regent ship than other ships or other locations. If no one on the ship, crew or passenger, has the virus, has contacted anyone with the virus, or gets on or off at any port, you may be on to something.

Suffice it to say that people have to get to the ship and most will come from an airplane so statistics aren’t favorable from any angle.

It is just as likely that you will catch the virus sitting next to someone in a gorgeous bar with a complimentary high end cocktail as it is to catch it from someone in a bigger, louder bar with overpriced low quality cocktails.

At the end of the day, it is not possible to practice proper social distancing on any cruise ship, a Regent cruise is a group of over 250 people, and it is unnecessary travel. Most of us who travel on Regent are in the high risk category.

Not only are you risking your safety, you are risking the safety of others. At the rate of spread, it will be a short time before those in need from any kind of medical emergency won’t be able to get a bed in the Intensive Care Unit. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Marc

just spoke to a friend who has a fairly senior position at Paris CDG airport. She confirmed that as of now there are no arrangements for screening of US residents pre-flight and her opinion was that there would be zero chance of that being in place by the weekend. The idea that this would be carried out on any “official” basis by US govt. staff on French soil, she considered to be simply ridiculous.

I concur.  The exception for American residents is worthwhile in concept but difficult in implementation.  I think it is like the US repatriation of Americans from Wuhan and Diamond Princess but depending on private sector for the flights; we will see how this works out.  

Marc

I have neighbors on the March 6 Viking Sky TA (Miami-Barcelona).  They just told me the ship is turning around now and heading back to Miami.  They are actually very relieved and very complimentary to Viking.  They had originally suggested I'd like Regent, as they had in the past.  

10 hours ago, cwn said:

Lana,

I am enjoying your blog and posts so much and am so glad for you that Regent is carrying on the World Cruise. I agree with you, you are probably in a safer place right now than I am. We have a cruise to England in July and back Sept. Wonder if we will be able to go.

I posted a link to my Navigator 2018 WC blog on your blog comment section the other day. We hit many of the ports in Southern and Western Australia you are seeing. I was hoping maybe the tours we did would be of some help to you.

Now the rest of your new cruise itinerary is nearly the same as what we did also. It is a great itinerary so I hope there is clear sailing ahead. Regent was offering some really great tours in South Africa and Namibia, that if offered to you, I would highly recommend. Two of them were SA port day safaris, absolutely great tours. We also did some fun things on our own in some ports that were easy for me. If you need the link I will post it again on this thread.

We have found Regent is good to you when things go wrong on the ship as you are finding also. We had a couple of "bobos" in 2018 and are looking forward to a cruise on the Splendor as a result.

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experiences.

Carolyn

I bookmarked your 2018 WC blog with the recommendations for Australian ports, and I've reserved a spot on one of the Albany excursions.  I'll be sure to read further for South Africa and Namibia suggestions.  

Sometimes it's a little tricky because I often do not know until we get into port what the "logistics" of getting from ship to shuttle/bus/van will be.  But I'm always optimistic.  Asking the Destination Services folks has been less than helpful as they seem to think anything short of a mile walk is "just a few steps."  I did notice in the last few ports that they're actually reporting the distance from gangway to bus, so maybe they're listening.  Anyway, I try to get off the ship when/where I can.  

Forgive me for this post since it doesn't involve Regent yet.  I just thought it may be of some interest to some people here, Princess just announced it is suspending all cruises for 60 days.  Offering FCC or refund.  

Edited by bbtondo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Because you are not part of Schengen.

mmmm ......... not sure that covid-19, or any other disease, understands or recognises the subtleties of Schengen or non-Schengen borders.

Even though the UK is not in the Schengen area, we still have freedom of movement with the rest of Europe.

How is Ireland (in partial lock-down from this evening), non-Schengen, being treated? 

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redjetz said:

Viking announced last night that it is suspending all river and ocean cruises until May 1 and this morning Princess announced it was suspending all operations for 60 days. I suspect other lines will follow.

This is going to be devastating for all the crew members & their families; out of work with no income until the cruise-lines start operating again ☹️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heard from our TA last evening.  For passengers over 70 , Regent is requiring a Medical Certificate be completed (by you) and signed by your doctor no later than 7 days before your cruise (Splendor's March 14th cruise is exempt).

IMHO, this will make it more difficult for cruise lines and healthy passengers.  I cannot imagine trying to bother my physician in the middle of a crisis, to sign a form.  

In any case - just want to share news as I get it.  Once we board Splendor, several of us will be posting but I will suggest that updates regarding coronavirus be posted on a coronavirus thread.  Those of us onboard will be checking here for updates.

• Like 1

Great. See the doctor to "sign a certificate" is a great use of medical resources during a pandemic Regent. Give me a break.

And what's with this "no later than 7 days before" - are you supposed to promise not to get sick/exposed after your doctor signs it?

What an absurd epic fumble of the ball here, Regent/NCL.

Just follow Princess/Vikings lead, take the hit, negotiate with your creditors and move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Heard from our TA last evening.  For passengers over 70 , Regent is requiring a Medical Certificate be completed (by you) and signed by your doctor no later than 7 days before your cruise (Splendor's March 14th cruise is exempt).

IMHO, this will make it more difficult for cruise lines and healthy passengers.  I cannot imagine trying to bother my physician in the middle of a crisis, to sign a form.  

In any case - just want to share news as I get it.  Once we board Splendor, several of us will be posting but I will suggest that updates regarding coronavirus be posted on a coronavirus thread.  Those of us onboard will be checking here for updates.

I mean no disrespect but I just spoke to my inside support staff at Regent as they said this is being discussed but not decided upon...or maybe your TA has a better source than I do....just saying this may not be set in stone yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slidebite said:

Great. See the doctor to "sign a certificate" is a great use of medical resources during a pandemic Regent. Give me a break.

And what's with this "no later than 7 days before" - are you supposed to promise not to get sick/exposed after your doctor signs it?

Just follow Princess/Vikings lead, take the hit, negotiate with your creditors and move on.

It is absurd, isn't it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, slidebite said:

I’d be very surprised if cruise lines don’t have some sort of catastrophic business interruption insurance with Lloyd’s and others major risk takers who write this profitable line of coverage.  The one business I don’t ever feel sorry for is the insurance business. 

• Like 1

The medical clearance by a doctor is from the U.S. government.  This will be announced.  Regent is only being proactive.  

Agree that this is a horrible time to get your doctor to sign anything.  Perhaps there is a way of emailing the form to the office and have them email it back with the doctors signature.  

In terms of going out of business, NCLH, Carnival and Royal Caribbean are huge companies and can not fairly be compared to Renaissance.  The reasons for Renaissance's demise goes much further than "9/11".  That was just the straw that broke the camel's back (so to speak).

I read that CLIA submitted the 70+ medical authorization plan to VP Pence, basically in an effort to stave off even stricter administration requests.  Industry was waiting on the administration to sign off before enacting.  I suppose you could say Regent was being proactive....in a way.

CLIA proposal for 70+

Edited by greykitty