What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

The $200 can convert to a FCC so you don't lose anything. The money you have down would be returned to you as a credit refund onto the card you paid with  (assuming you are within the contracted terms) and you would be free to deposit a new cruise. Sorry, I thought you meant what happens if you cancel and get a FCC for the amount of the cruise. I am not awake yet.

17 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

Pcardad,

Well, that is very disappointing! So, I guess

if we cancel in time we get our down payment 

back and we lose $200, correct?

I believe that the $200 can be used toward a future cruise, at least that used to be the case.

Sorry, posted simultaneously with Pcardad.

Edited by boblerm
redundant information

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

I believe that this clause applies to those that are denied boarding due to having traveled to high risk areas, coming into contact with those that have, have a temp over 38C, or receive a failing grade on their health questionnaire, not to this new drs permission requirement.  I actually can't find the new requirement for over 70s on the web site, I guess that people with upcoming cruises are getting this notification via email?

Does this mean that it is not yet official policy?  Does anyone have any indication whether this is only a short term requirement or is this for now and forever?

Bob, do not think that this is on the Regent website and do not think that it is in effect.  Our TA was likely given a copy (that she forwarded to her clients that will be onboard Splendor tomorrow).  While I have no idea how long this policy will last (if it goes into effect), it will likely coincide with the end of the threat from COVID-19.  

A very similar authorization form is on Celebrity's web site.  Given that this was a CLIA initiative to the federal government (no doubt in my mind to help delay a stand down notice), I'm surprised that all the cruise lines don't have it somewhat easily available - well, other than the ones who stood down already.  Celebrity updated their board last Thursday and say that for the moment the effective period is 30 days, but will be reviewed daily.   Looks like right now the effective date is March 16, but I for one would not be surprised if restrictions change before then.  ETA - Celebrity is updating their board daily.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert  

Edited by greykitty

Of possible interest to Regent's golf fans.  The Masters will be postponed, according to Augusta National.  I remember being so impressed with the beauty of Augusta the one time I was lucky enough to be there during the Masters.  But, of course, the health of the players, staff, and visitors comes first.  Kudos to them.

Masters

I also see five other PGA events have been cancelled.  

Major press conference by Donald Trump at 8.00pm (GMT - 3.00pmEST).

Being reported here in UK that further lockdown measures in USA are expected including immediate suspension of cruise ship activity in USA and for all US residents to be advised that all foreign travel should not be taken.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Being reported here in UK that further lockdown measures in USA are expected including immediate suspension of cruise ship activity in USA and for all US residents to be advised that all foreign travel should not be taken.

We know about the press conference but what is your source about the suspension of cruise ship activity in the U.S.?

19 hours ago, kaleighsgram said:

Recognizing Rodney Dangerfield’s humor, what I was suggesting was if any cruise line required a signed doctor’s note and that person got sick, would it not be possible then for the cruise line to say that it wasn’t their fault. After all, they have a signed note allowing the person to board.  Falling into the affected age bracket, I’m concerned that someone might read this as age discrimination.

I don’t see the issue. Healthy today is healthy today. It says nothing about tomorrow or next week. 

And as far as “fault” goes it seems to me that Coronavirus is now akin to norovirus in that they are both known diseases that can be contracted on cruise ships. Boarding a ship is tacit acceptance of the risk. 

On 3/12/2020 at 11:20 AM, mrlevin said:
17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

We know about the press conference but what is your source about the suspension of cruise ship activity in the U.S.?

the DT press conference has been reported on BBC news here in the UK, indeed further comment from their Washington DC correspondent was broadcast just a few moments ago. Along with the travel restrictions previously mentioned, additional Federal emergency powers are considered likely as well as some personal comments by DT with respect to his meeting with the Brazilian president last weekend which now appears to have involved staff who have since tested positive for Covid 19. So, to be clear, not a report on what has happened but an educated guess by the BBC on what may happen

Edited by Belfast Taxman

Thank you!  We expect that some airports will be shut down (Seattle being one of them).  Obviously we are concerned about cancelling all cruises since our flight out of Vancouver to San Diego departs in just under 24 hours.  Not panicking - just concerned.

Canada has banned all cruise ships over 500 people ie passengers and crew until July.

Likely that the US may follow this too. Apparently all of this out of conversations with G7 leaders incl DT.

The President suspending cruise ship activity might muddy the waters (pun intended) about refund versus FCC.  If Regent cancels the cruise, then we get a refund.  But if they are ordered not to operate, that could be argued as not cancelling, but a Force majeure (refers to a clause that is included in contracts to remove liability for natural and unavoidable catastrophes that interrupt the expected course of events and restrict participants from fulfilling obligations) event.  So, the FCC option (if it remains since that was not required by any agreement between passengers and Regent) may be the only option.

This could get very legally...

• Like 1

Not wanting to spread this everywhere, but it's official Regent is cancelling for at least the next 30 days with a FCC/refund option.

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Advisor*,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to closely monitor the coronavirus situation and its impact on our global health environment. The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our highest priority. With the COVID-19 coronavirus impacting communities and ports around the globe, we have enacted a voluntary temporary 30-day suspension of all cruise voyages worldwide embarking between March 13 and April 11, 2020.

This temporary suspension is part of efforts around the globe to contain the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus and is taken in an abundance of caution. Regent Seven Seas Cruises has not experienced any confirmed cases of COVID-19 across our five-ship fleet.

We understand the inconvenience and disappointment that this disruption causes. We appreciate your understanding as we partner with local, state, federal and global agencies to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will provide a 125% Future Cruise Credit on the amount you paid, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage between now and December 31, 2022. If you prefer a refund rather than the Future Cruise Credit we will provide you with a 100% refund on the amount you paid. Please note that if a 100% refund is selected it will be made only via the original form of payment and may take up to 90 days to be received.

Thank you for your patience and loyalty as we manage through this evolving situation. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and we look forward to welcoming you on board in the future.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

8 hours ago, behooves said:

Does anyone know the answer to this question:  If Mr. and Mrs. Geezer arrive at the pier sans their signed permission slip and are denied boarding, do they get a refund?  An FCC? or are they SOL?

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Short term...how long does Regent survive with no paying guests over 70?

This is all moot for now since they've cancelled all cruises from today until April 11th (I believe.)

4 hours ago, Belfast Taxman said:

I heard that press conference, at least I think I heard the whole thing.  I don't believe he mentioned cruise ships.

7 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Also what about people under the age, like 50 with heart, lung and so on problems...........

Canada has banned all cruise ships over 500 people until July.

Also, the Prime Ministers wife has tested positive for Covid so he is now in 14 day quarantine as well.

I just got this email from Regent.  I edited out about commissions. etc.  I booked my wife and I for the Lima-Miami leg.

We value your partnership with Regent Seven Seas Cruises® and want to update you regarding our recent decision to voluntarily suspend cruise voyages across Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ three brands, effective immediately for 30 days. This temporary suspension comes after collaboration with federal officials and is aimed at contributing to efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 and covers voyages with embarkation dates from March 13 to April 11, 2020. We will plan to commence cruise operations with embarkations beginning April 12.

The health, safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our highest priority. I want to emphasize that this measure is being taken in an abundance of caution as the Company has not had any cases of COVID-19 across its 28-ship fleet. We greatly appreciate the understanding of our loyal guests and valued travel partners during these fluid, unprecedented and challenging times. Working closely and in partnership with local, state, federal and global agencies, we are committed to taking all appropriate precautions and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Voyages that are currently in process will end as soon as possible and guests will disembark and travel arrangements will be made to bring them home. We have asked our guests who are currently booked on voyages departing from March 13 to April 11, 2020 on Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises to contact you or the cruise line for more information. Below are a few details that may be helpful when speaking to your clients:

• All guests on impacted voyages will receive a 125% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2022.
  • For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of guests’ request.

Thank you Regent..we did not get email (our cruise 5/4) but have faith they are doing this 30 days at a time.  Not sure how they could even get us to our flight with all Lufthansa's cutbacks.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.....and look forward to cruising when all is well

38 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Thank you Regent..we did not get email (our cruise 5/4) but have faith they are doing this 30 days at a time.  Not sure how they could even get us to our flight with all Lufthansa's cutbacks.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.....and look forward to cruising when all is well

re: email timing it is likely info comes to TA's first then to guests.  I just happen to be the both former and a booked guest also. I

wish all safe travels.

55 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

My sentiments exactly, and thank you.  Let's all go back to our 'normal lives' for a while, and stay healthy.  This will be a challenge in the coming months, all the best to everyone.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, IguanaJ said:

re: email timing it is likely info comes to TA's first then to guests.  I just happen to be the both former and a booked guest also. I

wish all safe travels.

Thank you for posting!  I’m sure my TA will send to me, but since it’s a Friday afternoon, it’s nice not to have to wait until after the weekend to get confirmation of what I have been hoping for all week -  that Regent would cancel my upcoming cruise AND offer the option of a refund. I’d rather have my money back more immediately, but in light of these emergency conditions, 90 days does not seem terrible either. 

I just got my email a few minutes ago.

I’d congratulate Regent for stepping up and doing the right thing in light of a very difficult situation but I don’t want to be accused of being a sycophantic cheerleader or anything.

Seriously, though, kudos to Jason and his team for making a hard decision in a very hard time.  I sincerely hope this whole thing blows over quickly and these companies can weather the storm.

• Like 3