What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

It's a non-starter and grasping at straws, and I say this as a person in my mid 40s. Even considering what amounts to a doctors note, 7 days before departure is insane on several fronts. It makes as much sense as needing a note to say you were blessed by the pope or your local religious leader that it's OK to go.

The battle against this virus is lost. The best thing the industry can do is batten down the hatches, weather the storm until the peak is well past and gear up again.

I expect to get an email from Regent or my TA at any time saying my April 3 trip is cancelled. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

I'll give Princess and Viking credit for making the tough decision.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

The medical clearance by a doctor is from the U.S. government.  This will be announced.  Regent is only being proactive.  

Agree that this is a horrible time to get your doctor to sign anything.  Perhaps there is a way of emailing the form to the office and have them email it back with the doctors signature.  

In terms of going out of business, NCLH, Carnival and Royal Caribbean are huge companies and can not fairly be compared to Renaissance.  The reasons for Renaissance's demise goes much further than "9/11".  That was just the straw that broke the camel's back (so to speak).

Take a look at their stock and debt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, behooves said:

I wouldn't worry about taking a dr's time away from patient care for form signing.  Does anyone actually think that there is a dr in the US that would sign a form giving his or her ok for a patient over 70 to get on a cruise ship?  I mean, an actual licensed dr.

I'm sure I could get one from my doc.  You know my doctor, Doctor Vinnie Boombah?   🙂

• Like 3

This is what we received from Regent (via our TA).  I also have the medical form.  

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR VOYAGE 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner, 

To ensure the safety and well-being of all Regent guests and crew worldwide, all guests aged 70 and older must now provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel at embarkation. 

This simple and easy-to-complete Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form must be signed by a qualified treating physician and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of your cruise’s embarkation, or by seven days prior from the start of your travel if you are traveling for more than seven days before your voyage. 

The Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form can be downloaded from the Travel Health Advisory page on www.rssc.com, which also contains the proactive and comprehensive set of preventative measures Regent has enacted to help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew while on board. 

Please bring the completed form with you for embarkation. Guests aged 70 and older without the Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel completed will be denied boarding. 

We appreciate your attention to this important matter, which will help Regent continue to maintain among the most stringent health and safety protocols in the hospitality industry and help ensure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. 

We look forward to welcoming you on board. 

Sincerely, 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers: 

· United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123 

· United Kingdom: 02380 682280 

· Rest of Europe: +44 (2380) 682140 

· Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200 

· Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

Insurance forms are typically for different conditions and a different purpose. Generally more for chronic, long term health issues, not a short term illness.

Other than the stupidity of it and squandering of resources in a pandemic, having it done a week before a sailing has little value. Think of the Corona situation even a week ago today.

Edited by slidebite

7 minutes ago, slidebite said:

Insurance forms are typically for different conditions and a different purpose. Generally more for chronic, long term health issues, not a short term illness.

Other than the stupidity of it and squandering of resources in a pandemic, having it done a week before a sailing has zero value. Think of the Corona situation even a week ago today.

I do not disagree with you.  Apparently, although this has not "officially" been put into effect, Regent is ready for when it does.

Edited by Travelcat2

41 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

This is what we received from Regent (via our TA).  I also have the medical form.  

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR VOYAGE 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner, 

To ensure the safety and well-being of all Regent guests and crew worldwide, all guests aged 70 and older must now provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel at embarkation. 

This simple and easy-to-complete Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form must be signed by a qualified treating physician and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of your cruise’s embarkation, or by seven days prior from the start of your travel if you are traveling for more than seven days before your voyage. 

The Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form can be downloaded from the Travel Health Advisory page on www.rssc.com, which also contains the proactive and comprehensive set of preventative measures Regent has enacted to help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew while on board. 

Please bring the completed form with you for embarkation. Guests aged 70 and older without the Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel completed will be denied boarding. 

We appreciate your attention to this important matter, which will help Regent continue to maintain among the most stringent health and safety protocols in the hospitality industry and help ensure the health and well-being of all guests and crew. 

We look forward to welcoming you on board. 

Sincerely, 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises 

Regent Seven Seas Cruises Reservations Phone Numbers: 

· United States / Canada: 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) or (954) 776-6123 

· United Kingdom: 02380 682280 

· Rest of Europe: +44 (2380) 682140 

· Australia / New Zealand / Asia Pacific: 1.300.455.200 

· Latin America / Brazil: 0800 400-3132 or +1 (954) 940-7486

Jackie, I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  Do you know whether  this is now Regent policy from now until...forever???  Or is it just policy that stays in effect during the present crisis?

1 hour ago, kaleighsgram said:

What would the repercussions be if Dr. Boombah signed your note and you got sick? Would a cruise line point the finger at them?

1 hour ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

think is was a joke by Mr Bill 🙂 (with an underlying message though)

Indeed it was - stolen from the late, great Rodney Dangerfield...

• Like 1

just seen on my RC - a cruise from Dubai leaving in 3-4 days has been cancelled (not sure what cruise line), Seabourn has also cancelled two April cruises departing from Dubai. This is just another issue to add to the mix discussed here - you are healthy, have a certificate, but a port/country stays you can't get in/depart ...

3 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Jackie, I'm trying to wrap my head around this.  Do you know whether  this is now Regent policy from now until...forever???  Or is it just policy that stays in effect during the present crisis?

Just FYI, I didn’t find this on the Regent site.  
Mad

Voyager easiest to cancel as bare minimum crew onboard and no one wants to sail to Europe now.  Explorer or Splendor will stay in Caribbean for close to home sailing.  Mariner will finish her revised world cruise and then head to Alaska (which hopefully will be open by then or she will be parked in San Francisco).

Navigator is for sale, and they will probably shop the Mariner and Voyager, too, in case they can get some easy money.

Marc

PS As for predictions about COVID-19, I believe USA will top out at about 20,000 cases and 400 dead but it could go as high as 40,000 with 800 dead.  Given we average over 3,2000 deaths per day from car accidents; a drop in the bucket.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Indeed it was - stolen from the late, great Rodney Dangerfield...

Recognizing Rodney Dangerfield’s humor, what I was suggesting was if any cruise line required a signed doctor’s note and that person got sick, would it not be possible then for the cruise line to say that it wasn’t their fault. After all, they have a signed note allowing the person to board.  Falling into the affected age bracket, I’m concerned that someone might read this as age discrimination.

6 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Voyager easiest to cancel as bare minimum crew onboard and no one wants to sail to Europe now.  Explorer or Splendor will stay in Caribbean for close to home sailing.  Mariner will finish her revised world cruise and then head to Alaska (which hopefully will be open by then or she will be parked in San Francisco).

Navigator is for sale, and they will probably shop the Mariner and Voyager, too, in case they can get some easy money.

Marc

PS As for predictions about COVID-19, I believe USA will top out at about 20,000 cases and 400 dead but it could go as high as 40,000 with 800 dead.  Given we average over 3,2000 deaths per day from car accidents; a drop in the bucket.

Good post. Sounds like a plan. 

3 minutes ago, behooves said:

Let's say Dr. Boombah signed a form giving his or her blessing for Herman and Hermione, ages 76 and 75, to go on a cruise at this time, despite the he fact that every government agency, world body, friend, family, neighbors, and pet monkey are stating in no uncertain terms that they should not go on a cruise under any circumstances.  And let's say that Herman, sadly, contracted Covid 19, and succumbed to complications of such.  Methinks that Dr. Boombah would have some serious 'splainin t o do in court.

If what you say is true then Regent is done as the vast majority of passengers are over 70. WHy don't we wait and see what the form says before deciding no doctor would sign it.

16 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Well gee, then maybe next year's world cruise will be on Explorer, who knows!  As for the proverbial drop in the bucket, that's pretty cold Marc, even for you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well gee, then maybe next year's world cruise will be on Explorer, who knows!  As for the proverbial drop in the bucket, that's pretty cold Marc, even for you.

Wendy, I live in a 55+ community.  I play bridge where average age is well over 70.  I know this is aiming right at my friends.  There is no way around that.  I am hoping that you and David have a wonderful World Cruise next year.   Arlene and I are planning on  the Grand Arctic Adventure next year and the 2023 world cruise.   I am  just getting frustrated at the management of Regent (and especially NCLH) that will impact my cruise next year and a possible World Cruise I 2023.  Yes, I can be crass and morbid at times, I am just getting very upset at management of NCLH and Regent.

Marc

PS I already emailed our TA and apologized for my behaviour.

• Like 1

Any source on the Navigator being for sale?

Just curious how seriously I should take your comment...is it opinion or public knowledge?

Edited by Pcardad
Didn't mean for post to sound rude....changed it.

A copy of the form: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Certificate-of-Medical-Fitness-to-Travel-form.pdf

"I __________< Medical Practitioner/Officer Name >__________________ hereby attest that __________<Insert Guest Name>__________________ whose name is given above is fit to travel. I deem the named guest to be in good physical health and free of any severe or chronic illness such as pulmonary and/or respiratory ailments and is medically fit to travel on the above listed cruise vacation."

This is so all encompassing, I don't see how a physician could be expected to attest to this for most older patients.  How many older patients are free of any severe or chronic illness?  Heart and vascular disease, arthritis, visual problems, GI ailments of various kinds, neurological tremors, liver disease, diabetes, etc., could all be considered "severe or chronic" illness. Is everyone with a chronic disease expected to not travel?  

13 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Any source on the Navigator being for sale?

Just curious how seriously I should take your comment...is it opinion or public knowledge?

Here is site for cruise ships for sale.  Navigator not on this site.  I cannot provide proof that Navigator has been for sale for quite some time.

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/cruiseships.html

Marc