PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

4 minutes ago, elliair said:

Yeah it originated there, and now it's here.  That's how it spreads - people traveling and spreading it.  Spanish flu originated in China in 1918 and it spread as well - by sea - not by airline and it killed millions.  History repeating itself?

'It's here' - So are the USA now seeing a huge daily increase in confirmed cases like China? No, they are not.

5 minutes ago, elliair said:

Same goes for travelers who are sick.  Remember when we had to fill out those health forms before boarding the ship?  No one filled them out truthfully.  You've planned for months, maybe years to go on a cruise.  You waited, paid out the money and the time is here for you to board.  No way are you going to say "I'm sick."  I was healthy when I went on board, and I got off the ship sick on the Star Princess to Hawaii.  I was laid out for a month!  You get in line and take your chances.  The woman in the cabin next to us never left her cabin the 14 days on our cruise.  She hacked/coughed/barfed.  Did the cabin steward transfer her crud to our cabin?  Only time I left the can of Lysol at home.  Got it packed for the next one....my bad.

We must have been on that same sick trip.  My boss, at the time, was also travelling on the sailing.  He ended up with noro and I ended up in hospital when we returned.  It was a horrible trip and those health form questionnaires were a joke.  As you said, who is going to truly answer them.  I feel for those quarantined on the Diamond at the moment, in partiucular those with inside cabins... no natural light and only 90 minutes of outdoor fresh air.  I get the concern of spreading the disease but they all must feel like they are in prison.  Sadly, it was bound to happen but hopefully for all future cruises, there will be lessons learned from this contagious outbreak.

• Like 2

Just now, strachan01 said:

'It's here' - So are the USA now seeing a huge daily increase in confirmed cases like China? No, they are not.

Never said it was.  But there are CONFIRMED cases here in the US.  Thankfully the US shut down travel between here and China.  Don't forget, that millions left the epicenter before the lockdown.  How many of those were infected, flew to the US and showed up at the hospital infected?  WHO in this YT video estimates that 50,000 a day are being diagnosed in China.  They admit they'll never know the exact number infected or who have died.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elliair said:

Yeah it originated there, and now it's here.  That's how it spreads - people traveling and spreading it.  Spanish flu originated in China in 1918 and it spread as well - by sea - not by airline and it killed millions.  History repeating itself?

That is only one of numerous theories about the Spainish flu. Others say it orignated in Kansas, France, Austria and Spain. Fact is no one ever identified what the Spainish flu was because of the whole censorship at the time and people being busy with WW1. If you are going to find history repeating itself I would look at the SARS epidemic. WHO did warn China history will repeat itself if they don't fix the problems of their live animal markets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tweedy said:

We must have been on that same sick trip.  My boss, at the time, was also travelling on the sailing.  He ended up with noro and I ended up in hospital when we returned.  It was a horrible trip and those health form questionnaires were a joke.  As you said, who is going to truly answer them.  I feel for those quarantined on the Diamond at the moment, in partiucular those with inside cabins... no natural light and only 90 minutes of outdoor fresh air.  I get the concern of spreading the disease but they all must feel like they are in prison.  Sadly, it was bound to happen but hopefully for all future cruises, there will be lessons learned from this contagious outbreak.

We've never gotten noro on any cruise but have been on cruises where noro broke out.  We become extra careful when that happens.  This last cruise on the Star did me in.  People were hacking and coughing all over the place.  One guy sitting in Crooners said he was sick, yet there he was contaminating every where he went.  We labeled it "the cruise ship crud."  A cruise ship or an airline can become a floating and flying deadly host.  I started to get sick 2 days before we disembarked. 

Our next cruise to Alaska is all paid for, it might be our last cruise for a long, long time.  We'll plan our vacations at the coast and not worry about all the "what if's" of cruising.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We love Princess and have done this itinerary 4 times.

IMHO, and if it was me, I wouldn't cancel.  Can't imagine the money lost if you cancel...cruise, airfare, hotel, etc.

Princess would not sail if it's not safe.

But I would call Princess and see if could get a balcony cabin.

Perhaps while on the phone, you can tell Princess about your concern...who knows, they may let you cancel and book another cruise...you never know.  It doesn't hurt to try.

I agree!!  

I would think the OP is not the only one considering canceling their sailing.  I bet that several balcony rooms will open up, ones that Princess would need to fill in a short period of time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That is only one of numerous theories about the Spainish flu. Others say it orignated in Kansas, France, Austria and Spain. Fact is no one ever identified what the Spainish flu was because of the whole censorship at the time and people being busy with WW1. If you are going to find history repeating itself I would look at the SARS epidemic. WHO did warn China history will repeat itself if they don't fix the problems of their live animal markets.

They say that this corono virus has some SARs sequencing.  There's too many "experts" putting their ideas in, and it can get convoluted quickly going in all kinds of directions.  I've done a lot of reading on the Spanish flu.  Two bodies in a remote village in Alaska were exhumed in 1997,  and a viable Spanish flu virus was obtained.  It ended up in a Level 4 lab in Canada.  You can read about it here:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

Even with travel restrictions and quarantines in place, the disease spread quickly to the most remote corners of the world. In November 1918, the Spanish flu reached a tiny outpost in Alaska called Brevig Mission and killed 72 residents within five days, leaving alive only eight children and teenagers.

https://www.historynet.com/alaskan-village-holds-key-understanding-1918-spanish-flu.htm

Edited by elliair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I agree!!  

I would think the OP is not the only one considering canceling their sailing.  I bet that several balcony rooms will open up, ones that Princess would need to fill in a short period of time. 

Maybe you missed my post from a few minutes ago, but I did call and as of yesterday afternoon they were 100% booked. I'm not saying that it won't change however in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KL Smith said:

Maybe you missed my post from a few minutes ago, but I did call and as of yesterday afternoon they were 100% booked. I'm not saying that it won't change however in the next couple of days.

No, I missed that!  Hope you are able to find something before the sail date.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well to be fair if you have cruise ships being turned away and unable to dock anywhere it sounds like cruise lines need to maybe just stop and figure out how to manage the situation because I have to be honest it is quite baffling why they would still be sailing certain routes when their destination countries have clealy laid the new rules for entering their countries.

--------------------------------------------

That's easy to answer it's called $$$$$.  They've got stockholders and passengers to appease.  As more and more ships are quarantined, would anyone in their right mind book a cruise on any of the ships quarantined?  The CDC has quite a hold on cruiselines when it comes to reporting illnesses on board their ships.  I believe the cruiseline has to report illnesses to the CDC so the cruiseline can take appropriate action to stop it.  Been on cruises with noro outbreaks and everything is lockdown.  It's a PITA and I can't imagine being locked in your cabin for 14 days.  I'd go stir crazy!  There's no vaccine for this coronavirus and there won't be one for months if at all.  No vaccine for SARs either...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KL Smith said:

Sorry for the delay in getting back folks. We have rotating teacher strikes going on here and we have one of our grand daughters with us.

After checking to see if there was any possibility of canceling without a major hit, we were told NO. We asked if we could postpone the trip or receive a credit. Again NO.

We asked if there were any outside cabins available. Once again NO. The ship is apparently 100% booked.

Looking at  the stats this morning as to the location of the infected persons, it turns out that 99% are in China, The other 1% are spread around the world. So, we have decided to go on the cruise and enjoy ourselves. Should Princess make any changes such as cancelling the cruise, I would still be fine with that.

I sure feel for those on the Diamond. It has been reported that the number of confirmed cases on the ship tripled overnight from 20 to 61. I am not a medical professional but I really wonder if it is wise to keep the pax on the ship. Surely this can't be helping the situation. I can't imagine what they are going to have to do to ensure that ship is 100% decontaminated before the next pax get on, whenever that is.

Thanks for the input folks.

Everyone on the Diamond is confined to their staterooms. They aren't mingling and roaming the ship infecting other people. Princess is providing extra tv channels, cards, crafts and board games to keep people occupied. Those in inside cabins are being allowed some time outside of their staterooms for fresh air.

6 minutes ago, elliair said:

They say that this corono virus has some SARs sequencing.  There's too many "experts" putting their ideas in, and it can get convoluted quickly going in all kinds of directions.  I've done a lot of reading on the Spanish flu.  Two bodies in a remote village in Alaska were exhumed in 1997,  and a viable Spanish flu virus was obtained.  It ended up in a Level 4 lab in Canada.  You can read about it here:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

Even with travel restrictions and quarantines in place, the disease spread quickly to the most remote corners of the world. In November 1918, the Spanish flu reached a tiny outpost in Alaska called Brevig Mission and killed 72 residents within five days, leaving alive only eight children and teenagers.

https://www.historynet.com/alaskan-village-holds-key-understanding-1918-spanish-flu.htm

Well that is interesting to read that they sequenced the Spainish Flu but it still doesn't explain how the Spainish Flu can be linked to China. WIth so few samples you can't compare it to anyone who was sick at the time so you still can't confirm its geographical origins only that it came from birds and they can't even pinpoint the exact species that would at least narrow the geographical origin. Also the article is misguided to say travel restrictions. It was WW1 it  was a period of mass global movement.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, strachan01 said:

China are in lockdown because the virus has originated from there. Simple as. With over 30,000 confirmed cases it's completely different to the states 12 cases. If you want to carry on with the fear mongering go ahead.

And the 12 cases in the US are, from what I've read, NOT critical.  Unlike many cases in China.

Edited by K.T.B.

Forgive me if these questions have already been asked ...  why are cruise ships treated differently than resort hotels, etc?  I could leave a resort if someone else gets sick in another room?  Do these quarantine rules apply to ships cruising in Caribbean waters or are these quarantines because they are in Asian waters?  We have a cruise coming up in a few weeks and I am more afraid of being quarantined than getting the virus!  One more questions ... who pays if you are kept on the ship beyond the time of your cruise? I was reading our cruise contract and it states "if you are required to remain on board the ship or elsewhere, due to injury, illness or disability or due to action of any government or authority, or for any other reason not the fault of the carrier, you must pay or reimburse Carrier for all resulting costs and expenses including for food, transportation, accommodations, medical and/or repatriation services for you and or those accompanying you.  Are these poor people being held hostage going to receive a bill at the end!  

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It was WW1 it  was a period of mass global movement.

By sea, not by air--no airlines back then.  It took it longer by sea.  How did it make its way to the remote villages in Alaska?  No one knows.  If you look at the World's Most Lethal Pandemics, many of them point back to originating in China.  I believe that's where the Spanish flu originated.....brought back to the US by soldiers during WW1.

https://www.mphonline.org/worst-pandemics-in-history/

2 minutes ago, Debate said:

Forgive me if these questions have already been asked ...  why are cruise ships treated differently than resort hotels, etc?  I could leave a resort if someone else gets sick in another room?  Do these quarantine rules apply to ships cruising in Caribbean waters or are these quarantines because they are in Asian waters?  We have a cruise coming up in a few weeks and I am more afraid of being quarantined than getting the virus!  One more questions ... who pays if you are kept on the ship beyond the time of your cruise? I was reading our cruise contract and it states "if you are required to remain on board the ship or elsewhere, due to injury, illness or disability or due to action of any government or authority, or for any other reason not the fault of the carrier, you must pay or reimburse Carrier for all resulting costs and expenses including for food, transportation, accommodations, medical and/or repatriation services for you and or those accompanying you.  Are these poor people being held hostage going to receive a bill at the end!  

2 good and unseen points here,

Not sure about the hotel situation may be someone has come across this before.

I would be very surprised if the cruiseline charged the passengers but on the other hand if it is in their terms and conditions and Japan is calling the shots - who knows.  But I think they would be opening a can of worms as people may counter sue for being in that position especially is they had looked to cancel before but had been told no refund

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Haha! You’re so right.  This is not serious at all.

It's serious, but nowhere near as serious as the media is making it out to be.  At last count, there are 31,527 people who have known to be infected, with 638 deaths.

According to the CDC, between 2019 and now, there have been 22,000,000 – 31,000,000 flu illnesses and 12,000 – 30,000 flu deaths.... in the US!   LINK

Coronavirus is being overly hyped up by the media, BUT it's not something that needs to be ignored either.  In a couple of months people will wonder what the big deal was....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Debate said:

If that's the case, I would self disembark myself.  I don't believe they can hold you hostage at your own expense.  Pick your poison cruiseline.  A quarantined traveler at Travis AFB walked away and the authorities said they could not hold anyone against their will.

5 minutes ago, elliair said:

If that's the case, I would self disembark myself.  I don't believe they can hold you hostage at your own expense.  Pick your poison cruiseline.  A quarantined traveler at Travis AFB walked away and the authorities said they could not hold anyone against their will.

That outcome may depend on where you are traveling- there are reports of people being shot in China for trying this

6 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

It's serious, but nowhere near as serious as the media is making it out to be.  At last count, there are 31,527 people who have known to be infected, with 638 deaths.

According to the CDC, between 2019 and now, there have been 22,000,000 – 31,000,000 flu illnesses and 12,000 – 30,000 flu deaths.... in the US!   LINK

Coronavirus is being overly hyped up by the media, BUT it's not something that needs to be ignored either.  In a couple of months people will wonder what the big deal was....

I hope you’re right but I personally believe it’s being under reported.  I think China has not been honest.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Meaning the death rate if you catch coronavirus is 2% (perhaps higher since some of the currently known infected people may ultimately succumb) and the death rate from the flu is .03% to .09%. Which is 20 to 67 times lower.

The other difference is we've all had the flu before, so we don't fear it as much.

The true coronavirus numbers may be much higher, depending on how much you trust the Chinese government to report the truth. The flu numbers are also likely too low, in the case of people contracting it. How many people with a routine case of the flu actual report it? The flu deaths are probably accurate though.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, elliair said:

Our next cruise to Alaska is all paid for, it might be our last cruise for a long, long time.  We'll plan our vacations at the coast and not worry about all the "what if's" of cruising.

We are in the same situation for this May and even though we are insured, this has been a year in the planning,  most expensive cruise ever taken in the last 15 years with flights, pre- hotel stays, & excursions. I feel okay about going to Alaska however its the unknown elements to expose my family that is a little concerning. Just hope and pray that this settles down and the ones affected will be okay. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I hope you’re right but I personally believe it’s being under reported.  I think China has not been honest.

I agree with this!  There are now reports coming out that are exposing their deception. 

Always follow the money!  

Anyway, I don't believe it is hype, either.  Because it is a novel virus, we have to built up immunity to it and it could take months to develop a vaccine.  I also hope that post is right ... we will look back and wonder why we were all so worried about this.  If so, it would confirm, at least to me, that the vigilance has paid off.