PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, kent9xxx1 said:

........Btw, how do you know the Diamond Princess plumbing is sound....

Ship plumbing is not gravity fed with back flow controlled by p-traps but rather presssure control. Think the difference in flushing a toilet on the ship and flushing a toilet at home....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I'm not criticizing Princess.  I'm criticizing how Japan handled this.  Japan is a big country, they handled much worse crisis in the past.  

Japan seems to be handling it quite well. You are aware they are taking care of the effected people both on and off the ship including supplying the meals and stores to the ship right?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pilgrimduke said:

Do you have a link for the Travis AFB person walking away?  I'd like to forward it, but can't find anything after a quick search.  Thanks

I'm looking for the news story and it may have been cleaned from the internet.  The media is trying to down play the potential for this to explode and they're trying to keep the public from panic.  Here's one story of a passenger trying to leave out of March AFB down in S. CA.  I know there was another one out of Travis because it's in an area that I am well acquainted with.

https://abc7.com/5892089/

23 minutes ago, npcl said:

The more interesting question is how will they handle other people in the same cabin as someone that develops symptoms during the quarantine period.  Technically anyone in the same cabin with someone developing symptoms should be quarantined for 14 days after their last contact with that person. 

You are right, see this:

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07/803843303/on-cruise-ship-quarantined-in-japan-any-new-cases-would-reset-the-isolation-cloc

CNN video of a couple, one infected, the other not (so far), no info from Princess, at least none that they are sharing with pax, they are in limbo.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/02/07/coronavirus-diamond-princess-quarantined-cruise-ship-us-patient-ripley-pkg-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/around-the-world/

And the situation is getting worse for other cruisers:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5074/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5077/

There is no way I would get into a sardine can, excuse me a cruise ship, at this point.

8 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Assuming the pax maintain there distance from each other and "follow the rules" They should be fine by the 11the or so. There is a quarantine within the quarantine. If it was just the ship everyone could go anywhere and the buffet would be packed lol.

8 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

nope. the only reason the clock would reset is if there is reason to suspect isolation was broken or if new data comes out showing a longer incubation period.

The one exception is if one person in a cabin of multiple people were to develop symptoms then the others in the cabin might have the clock on their time reset based upon their last contact with the infected person, but that would only impact that cabins occupants.

3 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

Assuming the pax maintain there distance from each other and "follow the rules" They should be fine by the 11the or so. There is a quarantine within the quarantine. If it was just the ship everyone could go anywhere and the buffet would be packed lol.

EQMSwhmVUAERj_u?format=jpg&name=medium

7 minutes ago, npcl said:

nope. the only reason the clock would reset is if there is reason to suspect isolation was broken or if new data comes out showing a longer incubation period.

The one exception is if one person in a cabin of multiple people were to develop symptoms then the others in the cabin might have the clock on their time reset based upon their last contact with the infected person, but that would only impact that cabins occupants.

Did you bother to read the article before replying? The Executive Director of the World Health Organization said:

"People who are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan have been wondering how long their isolation would last. On Friday, a health official gave an answer they might not like: the quarantine will be extended every time a new case of the Wuhan coronavirus is confirmed on the ship.

The coronavirus quarantine that has kept some 3,700 people aboard the cruise ship is currently set to expire on Feb. 19 – but that date would be reset if any new samples from people on the ship test positive for the virus, Dr. Michael Ryan, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Program, said Friday."

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Thanks for posting.  It is a very interesting and thorough article answering in a straightforward manner much of what has been asked and discussed on this board.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Did you bother to read the article before replying? The Executive Director of the World Health Organization said:

"People who are quarantined aboard the Diamond Princess in Japan have been wondering how long their isolation would last. On Friday, a health official gave an answer they might not like: the quarantine will be extended every time a new case of the Wuhan coronavirus is confirmed on the ship.

The coronavirus quarantine that has kept some 3,700 people aboard the cruise ship is currently set to expire on Feb. 19 – but that date would be reset if any new samples from people on the ship test positive for the virus, Dr. Michael Ryan, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Program, said Friday."

Thats correct BUT if everyone maintains their "cabin quarantine" that time would likley not have to be extended as there would be no new cases which is what NPCL was trying to explain. There will be an end very close to the 19th. Its really very simple statistics.

Edited by TNTLAMB

1 minute ago, TNTLAMB said:

Thats correct BUT if everyone maintains their "cabin quarantine" that time would likley not have to be extended as there would be no new cases which is what Bluesea321 was trying to explain. There will be an end very close to the 19th. Its really very simple statistics.

I kind of expect the wife of the UK man will be at risk of developing it, she is still on the ship.  So if she does that will then mean a restart.

IMO It wouldn't be a "restart" if the quarantine needed be extended. Her removal might be enough of she has had no other contact with PAX. From what is known it would -2 days from her husband being removed. However if she hasn't developed symptoms by now, she's not likely to. Granted its been a few years since I worked in that area and my expertise was bacterial not viral transmission. The two are very similar but different.

Edited by TNTLAMB

2 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

What makes you think that I think quarantine is only to protect the people on the ship?  I know what quarantine means.  When Japan decided to quarantine them, no one is infected.  The guy who eventually got infected left the ship 5 days prior.  

He was already infected when he left the ship. It was just that he left before symptoms were displayed in an obvious fashion.

Meanwhile the other 61 passengers were infected but not yet displaying obvious symptoms.

The quarantine so far has been successful as it has prevented the 61 cases that have been diagnosed have been prevented from wandering in the general population.

19 minutes ago, Purples said:

I am curious if they can make coffee in their rooms - saw a jug in a room on tv - but Princess do not usually have coffee making in the rooms - wishing for a good outcome for everyone caught up in this

Yes, on the Japan/Asian itineraries there is an electric kettle in the room so one can make tea, coffee, etc.

25 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

IMO It wouldn't be a "restart" if the quarantine needed be extended. Her removal might be enough of she has had no other contact with PAX. From what is known it would -2 days from her husband being removed. However if she hasn't developed symptoms by now, she's not likely to. Granted its been a few years since I worked in that area and my expertise was bacterial not viral transmission. The two are very similar but different.

That's what I don't understand as the who said the following but I keep reading elsewhere it won't be a reset.

"The coronavirus quarantine that has kept some 3,700 people aboard the cruise ship is currently set to expire on Feb. 19 – but that date would be reset if any new samples from people on the ship test positive for the virus, Dr. Michael Ryan, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Program, said Friday."

17 minutes ago, Alessandrina said:

Yes, on the Japan/Asian itineraries there is an electric kettle in the room so one can make tea, coffee, etc.

That is not correct based on the Princess cruises I have taken in Asia. Perhaps they do for cruises leaving Japan as they are big tea drinkers.

Hey, a post about other than the Coronavirus. Hopefully that will not upset the untrained, but learned medical professionals on this thread.

1 hour ago, elliair said:

Here's one story of a passenger trying to leave out of March AFB down in S. CA.  I know there was another one out of Travis because it's in an area that I am well acquainted with.

I live in Fairfield. I have heard nothing of this (Travis) story.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fragilek said:

That's what I don't understand as the who said the following but I keep reading elsewhere it won't be a reset.

"The coronavirus quarantine that has kept some 3,700 people aboard the cruise ship is currently set to expire on Feb. 19 – but that date would be reset if any new samples from people on the ship test positive for the virus, Dr. Michael Ryan, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Program, said Friday."

That is confusing. Yes a rest is possible but what is missing from the statement is what a reset means and what is likely leading to confusion is the assumption that a "reset" is starting over. Its not.