Anyone know what the port charges are for Princess Cays?

CineGraphic

We will be on the Crown's 2/15 sailing, and were just notified that the needed generator repairs will not be done before our sailing and that we will miss Princess Cays.

Other port arrival/departure times also have minor changes.

Because of this, they are giving everyone $75 of refundable OBC.

My TA called Princess on my behalf to find out if we'll also get the port charges for the missed port refunded, and he was told "NO".

So, is Princess really giving us something for the "disappointment", or just disguising refunded port charges as "goodwill"........or did someone at Princess give him incorrect info?

I'm not looking for a handout, I just want to know exactly what's going on. We plan to enjoy the cruise regardless, and had plans to enjoy a mostly empty ship while everyone else was busy sunning their buns at Princess Cays.

13 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Do you really think that the Bahamian government would make a deal with Carnival Corp, without getting $$ per head?

You may be correct. I was just assuming that the charge is for the use of the dock. It is possible that there is also an entry fee for the government.

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses, as used by us, may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed on us by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities, as well third party fees and charges arising from a vessel's presence in a harbor or port. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses may include U.S. Customs fees, head taxes, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, pilotage, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, as well as fees for navigation, berthing, stevedoring, baggage handling/storage and security services. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses may be assessed per passenger, per berth, per ton or per vessel. Assessments calculated on a per ton or per vessel basis will be spread over the number of passengers on the Ship. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are subject to change and we reserve the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full.

23 minutes ago, denmarks said:

You may be correct. I was just assuming that the charge is for the use of the dock. It is possible that there is also an entry fee for the government.

The last time I missed that location, the port charge refund were less than $10.  In the neighborhood of $6 if I recall correctly.  Since CCL owns the port, they do not have to pay any port charges or fees like they do in a commercial port.  Any amount would be any tax the Bahamas might charge on cruise ships.

As far as customer service is concerned they will not process a refund prior to the cruise.  However once you board any changes (some occur even if there no changes in ports depending upon the actual number of passengers) will show up lumped together as a line item in your on board account.

Edited by npcl
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, npcl said:

The last time I missed the ports charges were less than $10.  In the neighborhood of $6 if I recall correctly. 

I can just imagine how much some of these islands take in at $6-10 per head....wow!

6 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Princess doesn't own it....they  lease it from the Bahamas.

All references indicate that Princess "owns" Princess Cays. Do you have a reference that shows that they lease it? If they build a port on property that they lease would they have to pay a port fee? I understand paying an entry fee for passengers.

11 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Princess doesn't own it....they  lease it from the Bahamas.

own it/lease it for the scope of this conversation it make no difference. Bottom line they control it, they do not have to pay a port for normal services when a ship stops there.

18 minutes ago, denmarks said:

All references indicate that Princess "owns" Princess Cays. Do you have a reference that shows that they lease it? If they build a port on property that they lease would they have to pay a port fee? I understand paying an entry fee for passengers.

Nonetheless, they would still have to pay the Bahamian Government taxes/fees for each visit, as passengers are free to leave the property and explore the rest of the island.

39 minutes ago, denmarks said:

no direct reference in writing, only verbal reference over the  years from locally employed staff.

Fees are paid for various services such as customs/immigration.

3 hours ago, denmarks said:

All references indicate that Princess "owns" Princess Cays.

What is all?

You can if you wish, expand 'All' to include Carnival Corporation publications...

"Princess Cruises – Princess, whose brand name was made famous by the Love Boat
television show, recently celebrated its 43rd anniversary. Princess, the world’s third
largest cruise line, operates a fleet of 17 modern ships. Princess is a leading cruise line
in international and exotic regions all over the world, including Alaska, Asia, Europe, the
South Pacific, including Australia, and South America. Some of Princess’s Caribbean
cruise offerings feature a private island destination, known as Princess Cays, which
Princess leases and operates, that is located on the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas."

pp6,   Carnival Corportation Enviornmental Manangement Report, Fiscal Year 2008

You can download the pdf here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NzkyMHxDaGlsZElEPS0xfFR5cGU9Mw==&t=1

6 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

What is all?

You can if you wish, expand 'All' to include Carnival Corporation publications...

"Princess leases and operates, that is located on the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas."

Thanks. I guess that settles it. My reference to all was a few items returned on a search including Wikipedia which should not be trusted.

"Princess Cays is a tourist resort at the southern end of the island of Eleuthera, Bahamas. It is owned by Princess Cruises, who use it as a port-of-call on cruises in the Caribbean. Contrary to the implication of its name, it is located on Eleuthera, rather than on separate islands."

On 1/31/2020 at 11:05 AM, denmarks said:

Since Princess Cays is owned by Princess there may be no port charge.

Princess doesn't own Princess Cay, at least the last I knew.  It's owned by a member (or members) of the Devos family (Amway folks).  On my last job I followed that family's (and many others) campaign contributions and ran across that bit of info in the process.  Princess leases it from them.  Betsy and Dick Devos have a home on Eleuthera (they like to sail and they always look tan <g>).  That's the island where P Cay is.  Their home is on the other side of the island.