Terrace Cafe

ranchomirage777

20 minutes ago, ranchomirage777 said:

I searched these threads but couldn't find a thread that answered my question. What time does the Terrace Cafe open for breakfast? We will be on the Riviera in May and can't wait.

Thank you in advance

A I recall  0630.   Waves opens eariler

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ranchomirage777 said:

I just looked up Waves to see what time they open and Oceania said open at lunch time into the afternoon only. Sigh...why can't they give a time? Trying to figure out times for departure of private tours etc. etc.

waves breakfast up to 11am lunch 11:30 to 4pm

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ranchomirage777 said:

I just looked up Waves to see what time they open and Oceania said open at lunch time into the afternoon only. Sigh...why can't they give a time? Trying to figure out times for departure of private tours etc. etc.

Waves IS open in the morning -- we've never breakfasted there but I'm thinking they are open until 11.  Lunch goes til 4 usually.  I think the breakfast is simpler than Terrace -- which makes sense given the different sizes of the two venues!   I'm guessing you can get eggs of some sort there although not positive.  We've often had lunch at Waves, especially after a morning tour.

Aha!  I see as I was writing that Petcoke came in with the precise times for Waves.

Love the smoothies there ...

Mura

• Like 1

Just got off the Marina Panama Canal transit.  Waves usually opened by 7:30.  The grill there is just as good as in Terrace, all the fruit and pastries there, along with the great smoothie bar (which becomes the ice cream bar by lunchtime).  Population for breakfast in Waves usually less than in Terrace.

• Like 1

It's amazing to me how many people never eat in Waves, either for breakfast OR lunch.   I can tell you that the "grill" items at lunch are great - grilled salmon, surf and turf, etc.  I spoke to someone on our recent cruise (Regatta) who was surprised to hear that the salmon was an actual lunch-sized piece of grilled salmon.  She assumed it was a salmon cake in a bun!

• Like 2

I do have to say that population in Waves would necessarily be less than Terrace -- whether on an "R" or "O" ship -- because on all ships Terrace is far larger.

And maybe I'm glad that "most" people don't go to Waves weather for lunch or breakfast because I've been at Waves at lunch time (generally when lots of tours have returned and Terrace is already closed) and even on the "O" ships there aren't that many tables!  We've always gotten a table at that time but then again ... it could be crowded.

I can't speak to breakfast because in general we would order into our room on morning tour days; otherwise, we'd go to the GDR.

From the prior comment it does seem like MAYBE we should keep Waves a secret from other passengers ... 😃

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

It's amazing to me how many people never eat in Waves, either for breakfast OR lunch.   I can tell you that the "grill" items at lunch are great - grilled salmon, surf and turf, etc.  I spoke to someone on our recent cruise (Regatta) who was surprised to hear that the salmon was an actual lunch-sized piece of grilled salmon.  She assumed it was a salmon cake in a bun!

We never ate in Waves although Bob ordered a hot dog and a surf n turf that they then delivered to him in the Terrace. Too hot there.

1 hour ago, catsngoats said:

The grill there is just as good as in Terrace, all the fruit and pastries there,

Generally speaking, for breakfast I would call Waves a continental breakfast option and the Terrace a full buffet breakfast.

• Like 2

It is important to realize, there isn’t a one size fit all answer to your question! Depending upon docking time, or if the ship is even docking, the opening hours of both the Terrace and Waves varies daily. 

I give this advice regularly, probably to no avail, but Please read your Currents daily. It will tell you the operating hours of each of the venues in a daily basis.

This upsets some but there is NO absolute opening time. I repeat “ There is no absolute opening time. The ships are always passing through multiple time zones with a combination of different docking times or just upcoming sea days.

Please read your Currents if you want the correct answer for the next day.

• Like 1

Agree with pinotlover, at least for our January cruises on Regatta.  I think the Terrace opening time varied a little from day to day, although it didn't seem like more than a half hour variance, except on disembarkation day.  I don't remember the specifics, though, except that the Terrace seemed to always be open fairly early.  If you want something earlier, room service ordered the night before or a trip to Horizons or possibly Baristas will help.  And agree with Paulchili about breakfast at Waves.  If you want hot things like eggs, pancakes, etc., you'll need to go elsewhere.  I don't think they have anyone using the grill at Waves in the morning. 

Looking for hours on the Currents is also necessary if you need help from the computer person in Oceania at Sea.  He (or occasionally she?) is there every day, but not all times every day.

• Like 1

Clo,

Ever since Renaissance days we were fans of the GDR.  The menu changed daily which the specialties did not.  I've known people who only want to dine in the specialties but once I've had my few favorite dishes, I don't know what I'd order there.  In the GDR there were always changing options.  Back on Ren we often didn't book the specialties ... we'd get phone calls begging us to do so!  (Oceania has never done that!)

It's true that these days there are fewer options in the GDR, which doesn't please me.  But even so, most of the choices change daily.  Perhaps some of them repeat more frequently.  But there are now options from Jacques or Red Ginger at lunch and dinner on the "R" ships.  So that's a plus.

And we do enjoy dinner often in Terrace as well.

PLUS, if you're in a suite -- IF you are in a suite -- you can order from any venue into your room.  That's nice as well!  Especially if you had a really tiring tour day ...  We have usually taken advantage of this option the night before leaving the ship.  They bring us food while we pack ...

Mura

• Like 1

Clo,

You should still give GDR a try, even with problems that have been reported!  If you are willing to share a table you can meet some lovely people ... once or twice we had lemons.  Well, not really lemons ...just people who weren't really sympatico.

OTOH, we had a table for 6 a few years ago (forget which ship) where it turned out that we were all musicians.  So much in common!  It was one of the best dinners ever.  The "oldest" couple of the three were newlyweds and it was the wife's birthday so we all shared in her delicious birthday cake. We also shared a table not long ago with a Swiss widow who was traveling alone and we all got along famously.

More recently we shared a table (again 3 couples) in Toscana (I think it was Toscana) with two British couples.  Another delightful evening.

I've made it clear that I'm not happy with reduced menu choices in the GDR.  They aren't like -- fewer choices in each category (appetizer, salad, etc.) -- so much as some of the choices repeat more frequently.  Not ALL of them do!  But with the new menus (this goes back to late 2017 and early 2018) there were times when nothing appealed because either they didn't interest me OR I had just had the same meal a day or two earlier.  That would NOT have happened in the past.

At those times we retreat to Terrace, which is no great suffering.

Mura

• Like 1

We were on the Marina. As per our CURRENTS 

Breakfast in Suite                 6:30

Horizons Coffee Corner      6:30

Waves                                    7:00

Terrace Cafe                         7:30

MDR                                       8:00

This was a port day for us

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mura said:

Clo,

You should still give GDR a try, even with problems that have been reported!  If you are willing to share a table you can meet some lovely people ... once or twice we had lemons.  Well, not really lemons ...just people who weren't really sympatico.

OTOH, we had a table for 6 a few years ago (forget which ship) where it turned out that we were all musicians.  So much in common!  It was one of the best dinners ever.  The "oldest" couple of the three were newlyweds and it was the wife's birthday so we all shared in her delicious birthday cake. We also shared a table not long ago with a Swiss widow who was traveling alone and we all got along famously.

More recently we shared a table (again 3 couples) in Toscana (I think it was Toscana) with two British couples.  Another delightful evening.

I've made it clear that I'm not happy with reduced menu choices in the GDR.  They aren't like -- fewer choices in each category (appetizer, salad, etc.) -- so much as some of the choices repeat more frequently.  Not ALL of them do!  But with the new menus (this goes back to late 2017 and early 2018) there were times when nothing appealed because either they didn't interest me OR I had just had the same meal a day or two earlier.  That would NOT have happened in the past.

At those times we retreat to Terrace, which is no great suffering.

Mura

Where ever you choose to eat  is but a stage...the people are the drama.    While food is nice  it is merely  accompaniment to the human interaction  one has dining.

7 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise in March. We like to have mimosas at breakfast. Which dining venue serves alcohol at breakfast?

13 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise in March. We like to have mimosas at breakfast. Which dining venue serves alcohol at breakfast?

The GDR would be your best bet. I will probably take awhile to get one delivered. You’d probably never see it happen at the Terrace. 

Breakfast in the GDR only happens for us on Sea Days or late dockings. We love the great breakfasts served to you at a nice easy pace. Breakfast in the GDR can rarely be done in less than an hour. Therefore, if you have an early docking or mooring and have to meet your tour group by 9:00 or earlier, a GDR breakfast isn’t doable.Some days we’re off the ship by the time the GDR opens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The GDR would be your best bet. I will probably take awhile to get one delivered. You’d probably never see it happen at the Terrace.

Maybe the best way is to stop at one of the bars on the way to the GDR then? Coffee with Bailey's is an option for us as well. If we stop at Baristas on the way to breakfast, we could just bring the fortified coffee into the GDR -- right?

I should have mentioned that we're in a PH. Maybe having the butler bring it would be smartest? Then we can either have it in the room or bring with us to whichever venue we choose for breakfast.

Edited by Best Cat Mom

34 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Maybe the best way is to stop at one of the bars on the way to the GDR then? Coffee with Bailey's is an option for us as well. If we stop at Baristas on the way to breakfast, we could just bring the fortified coffee into the GDR -- right?

I should have mentioned that we're in a PH. Maybe having the butler bring it would be smartest? Then we can either have it in the room or bring with us to whichever venue we choose for breakfast.

Do you plan on getting the Prestige package? Having your butler bring glasses of champagne with OJ on the side would be your best bet. Getting a drink before 10am is usually a challenge. I don’t have experience with Barristas early in the day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Thank you so much for answering my question. Since most of our private tours begin at 8am it looks like breakfast will be continental in cabin or Baristas or maybe Waves.