Terrace Cafe

ranchomirage777

16 hours ago, roothy123 said:

If you want hot things like eggs, pancakes, etc., you'll need to go elsewhere.  I don't think they have anyone using the grill at Waves in the morning. 

Unless things have changed in the last 10 months, you may most certainly order hot items at Waves.  Eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes or french toast along with oatmeal or cream of wheat.  I will check with our next door neighbors when they return from Riviera later this week.  Availability may have changed recently and I stand corrected in advance.

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise in March. We like to have mimosas at breakfast. Which dining venue serves alcohol at breakfast?

Once again, Waves had great bar service in the morning.  I was served a mimosa or bloody mary promptly.

I actually should not be sharing all our secrets.  Unlike most on this board/thread, we avoid the Terrace almost any time of day.  We order at Waves, choose a table, order drinks, and everything is served to us.  We spent decades raising/feeding boys.  I now love to have someone wait on me.  I can schlep food on a tray at our local cafeteria. (And I choose not to do that either) 

And don't get me started on those who rant about slow drink service in the Terrace.  It is not fine dining.  However, on the few occasions we do eat there, we have without exception received bar service in a timely manner.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

Do you plan on getting the Prestige package? Having your butler bring glasses of champagne with OJ on the side would be your best bet. Getting a drink before 10am is usually a challenge. I don’t have experience with Barristas early in the day. 

We chose the Beverage package as our O-Life option and will upgrade as soon as we are on board. Sounds like the butler will be our best friend every morning. 🙂 Thanks!

1 minute ago, KatieBelle said:

Once again, Waves had great bar service in the morning.  I was served a mimosa or bloody mary promptly.

This might be best for us on the days that we don't plan to get up at a set time. We enjoy our holidays the most when there are no alarm clocks, not even a butler knocking on our door. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, KatieBelle said:

Unless things have changed in the last 10 months, you may most certainly order hot items at Waves.  Eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes or french toast along with oatmeal or cream of wheat.  I will check with our next door neighbors when they return from Riviera later this week.  Availability may have changed recently and I stand corrected in advance.

I actually should not be sharing all our secrets.  Unlike most on this board/thread, we avoid the Terrace almost any time of day.  We order at Waves, choose a table, order drinks, and everything is served to us.  We spent decades raising/feeding boys.  I now love to have someone wait on me.  I can schlep food on a tray at our local cafeteria. (And I choose not to do that either) 

And don't get me started on those who rant about slow drink service in the Terrace.  It is not fine dining.  However, on the few occasions we do eat there, we have without exception received bar service in a timely manner.  

Things haven't changed. Hot items are available at Waves for breakfast.  Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. as you stated. They also offer omelettes and fried eggs made to order.

• Like 1

We usually breakfast at the Terrace Cafe - they have so much selection. On sea days, we have a slow breakfast with croissants, lox, fruit, or yoghurt ... and then baristas's for cappuccino afterwards (am I giving away a secret?). On port days, a faster, more abbreviated selection.

We have had breakfast at MDR a few times, but only on a sea day and we are feeling we want a relaxed meal. Lamb chops, kippers, lox...

Mia

Edited by marylovestotravel
typo

28 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Things haven't changed. Hot items are available at Waves for breakfast.  Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. as you stated. They also offer omelettes and fried eggs made to order.

Almost 30 days spent on Regatta very recently and I missed that there was a person at the grill in Waves?  Ouch.  But is that the case on the smaller ships as well as on the larger ones?   Just checking.   But of course lots of things can be done that aren't routinely done, so people don't know about it.  If there's nobody waiting in line to have the two omelet makers on the Terrace make omelets, my husband will sometimes ask one of them to make him scrambled eggs, or scrambled eggs mixed with cheese and sausage, or whatever.   

Really, it's no secret that Waves will make you salmon at lunch.  It's on the menu boards right there, as is a Cubano sandwich, surf and turf, etc.  I get tired of the fries and cole slaw with anything you order for lunch, but you can ask them to leave those things off, and go to the small buffet for a couple things. 

I DO understand why some people don't like to carry their own trays of food and drink to a table, but I just wanted to point out to some people who may not know:  There are no trays on the Terrace, just plates.  Once you go to a table, someone will come around to ask you if you want water, coffee, tea, OJ, drinks from the bar service, etc.  Silverware is at the tables also.  And if the ship is rocking a bit (or even if not) and you'd like someone to carry your plate to a table there's usually someone around who can take your plate for you.  

• Like 1

Just off 7 days on Sirena in the Caribbean, Terrace opened anywhere from 6:30am  to 7:30am depending on how early we docked on a given day. The breakfast menu in the GDR is the same everyday. There is an egg special that changed, some good some not. And I created a new dish that many people were copying: avocado toast Benedict. Ask fore the poached eggs on the avocado toast with hollandaise sauce. I had that almost every day. Delicious.

Edited by susiesan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

While food is nice  it is merely  accompaniment to the human interaction  one has dining.

I hear ya and don't disagree with you...BUT 🙂 I'm really into food - cooking it, eating it, reading about it, participating on food boards. And honestly all the food on Marina in December exceeded my expectations. (Well, there was a dried slice of chicken breast!)

Currently on board Insignia ATW 20.

If you are in port with shorex leaving early, then you can count on Terrace being open at 6:30. -7:00.

If it is a sea day it will be open at 7:30.

If it is a port from which some will be leaving for an Overland, then Terrace can be open quite early...as in 3:30 am.

Check Currents always.

• Like 1

Check Currents Always!

Check Currents Always!

There is no single answer to the breakfast opening hours! No one size fits All!

Check Currents Always!

That seems so simple to me! It’s placed on your bed every evening. Can’t miss it when you return from dinner or the show! 

Check Currents Daily!

Thanks Cbb for your wise advice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

That seems so simple to me! It’s placed on your bed every evening. Can’t miss it when you return from dinner or the show! 

Just as you can't make a horse drink from the trough, you can't make some folks read!  It is so simple.  I guess some people can't even do simple.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, Paulchili said:

Generally speaking, for breakfast I would call Waves a continental breakfast option and the Terrace a full buffet breakfast.

Not exactly continental breakfast since you can get eggs/bacon/sausage there.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Check Currents Always!

Check Currents Always!

There is no single answer to the breakfast opening hours! No one size fits All!

Check Currents Always!

Check Currents Daily!

Thanks Cbb for your wise advice!

2 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Just as you can't make a horse drink from the trough, you can't make some folks read!  It is so simple.  I guess some people can't even do simple.

Reading the OPs 2nd post they said they are wanting this information so they can plan their day in advance.

Granted the definitive answer is in Currents for that sailing on that day in particular but that does not help them for this request for information help.

That said, from the information and discussion provided in this thread hopefully the OP has enough to get the general idea and can work out some plans, or plan Bs and now knows the times in general, and that it varies with the days activities. And is listed in Currents for the next morning.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Are the eggs (scrambled & fried) pre-cooked or made to order like at the Terrace?

Hmmmm. Speaking of getting fried, how are things in the 415 this afternoon (running & ducking for cover....)

Actually I did find this interesting. I know they have scrambled eggs but did not realize the buffet had pre-cooked fried eggs.

Edited by YoHoHo

4 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Hmmmm. Speaking of getting fried, how are things in the 415 this afternoon (running & ducking for cover....)

Not as well as planned  😀

Actually I did find this interesting. I know they have scrambled eggs but did not realize the buffet had pre-cooked fried eggs.

I’ve never had breakfast there. The reason I asked is that I would never have pre-cooked eggs of any kind - scrambled or fried. If I have eggs, I wanted them fresh & cooked to order.

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Are the eggs (scrambled & fried) pre-cooked or made to order like at the Terrace?

The scrambled eggs are pre-cooked. Omelettes and fried eggs are made to order.

One other great feature about Waves Grill is there is no fear of being trampled by passengers who behave as if Terrace is going to run out of food. :classic_wacko:

5 hours ago, ropomo said:

If you want freshly scrambled eggs, all you have to do is ask at the omelet station.

I assume you mean the one at the Terrace. If so, that would eliminate the Waves as a source of eggs made to order.

48 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I assume you mean the one at the Terrace. If so, that would eliminate the Waves as a source of eggs made to order.

Yes, I can't speak to Waves as I have only been on an R ship and Waves grill was never been open for breakfast on my sailing, only pastries, fruit and such.

55 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Eggs cooked to order were available for breakfast at Waves Grill on Marina when we sailed Buenos Aires - Miami a few weeks ago.

Thank you.

I will stick with the Terrace where I can get just about everything, including my favorite mixed berries and almond or chocolate croissants 😊

• Haha 1