Allowed medical exemption to both having to buy Drink Package - consequences if exempted person drinks anyway?

11 hours ago, icsys said:

If Royal didn't charge so damned much for their packages in the first place no one would have these issues!

How much should they be charging for all you can drink per day?  $30? Lol.  Prices seem pretty in line to me.

Edited by Packlawyer17
  • Like 2

I called and purchased one deluxe and one refreshment package no questions asked. DW used the deluxe and I used the refreshment package. When I wanted a cocktail I handed them my card and was charged for the drink. I mostly drank water which is why I wanted the refreshment package. When I went to the bar for a cocktail for DW and water for myself I told them which card to scan for each. They just scanned DW’s card for both. I will caution you about the MDR. We were traveling with my son and his friend who both had the deluxe package. When we placed drink orders I ordered a soda and the other 3 ordered wine. All of the wine orders were charged to my card. This happened more than once. We had to go to guest services to straighten it out. Just keep an eye on your account. As far as the story about having the refreshment package canceled, it was probably a one time issue since I have only read one case and I’m sure there was more to that story.

We have always cruised on Royal.  I have started looking at other lines that have specials where they include free drinks and WiFi.  I hate to leave but the other offers and different routes seem interesting.  Sick of every time I turn around there is a charge for something new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Packlawyer17 said:

How much should they be charging for all you can drink per day?  $30? Lol.  Prices seem pretty in line to me.

Why Lol? MSC charge $35 for their easy drinks package, more basic but it's all I need. It was better when Royal had choices like the beer and wine only.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Not really true. There was a post a month or so ago from someone who had a package and a refreshment package. The person with the refreshment package bought a drink at one of the bars, later that night they checked their account on the tv and found that a refund had been given for the refreshment package and a new bill for a full UBP package.  May be rare but exemption  from the package is because one can not drink. 

If an automatic charge for a UDP showed up on my credit statement, I'd refuse to pay it. I'd object and demand an investigation & refund. 

@Sandman799 If your wife drinks mostly wine with dinner and then only one as you say, I say take 2 bottles on board with you, get glasses from a bar and a corkscrew from your stateroom attendant, and take her glass (not the bottle) with you. You then order whatever you want on your card.

That takes care of the majority of her drinking. You can then try ordering and paying for a drink on her card during the day without it being visible for an hour and a half in front of the waitstaff that is processing your card. But don't order one on your pkg at the same time to keep the pkg differences from appearing. Unless her exemption is flagged, this might work while still leaving you feeling she is paying her way.

BUT...another idea:  I am really in the same situation although in my wife's case no alcohol means no alcohol.  So I actually did a la carte myself on our last cruise. And, since it is not as much fun for me without both of us trying out new drinks and comparing--and since she really hates not being able to drink (a fib ablation, and for her any alcohol is a trigger)--I ended up paying half of what the package would have cost because I drank less than I ever expected.

There was a thread awhile back from someone whose gastric bypass doctor advised her after her surgery to talk to restaurants to see if she could get small portions at a reduced cost because some restaurants have that policy. She got raked over the coals on CC for simply asking ahead of her cruise whether anyone knew if Chops had that policy because she wanted to go with her friends but would eat a small appetizer at most and hoped to pay a la carte rather than the full $50.  All she did was ask on her doctor's suggestion, but most responders treated her as if she was depriving the restaurant and trying to get away with something illegitimate.

I appreciate that the tone of this post is different since the OP has made it clear he isn't comfortable with being sneaky. I respect that.

I do have to say people need to stop saying that someone cannot drink alcohol, and then turn around and say this means 1 or 2 drinks. To people who really can't, it starts sounding in these package-exemption discussions like an excuse to have a few drinks at a lower cost (OP only unintentionally, I grant). I agree with those who warn that abuse of the exemption (which reflects a concession to legitimate medical reasons) may get removed in the long run. 

For people who say that it is the high price of the package causing people to cheat, other prices are high, too. I don't sneak into movies, I don't shoplift jewelry or nice clothes, and I don't pirate DVDs or software. Paying by the drink is available to anyone, and the package is not a right but a special offer to those who feel it is in their benefit to do that instead. Don't like the rules, don't get it.

Okay, moralizing over.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I agree with those who warn that abuse of the exemption (which reflects a concession to legitimate medical reasons) may get removed in the long run. 

Not sure RCI ever put something official in place as to what gets you an exemption from the drink package buying policy - it seems to me simply asking works, without an excuse.

• Like 2

If you receive the three diamond drinks on your Seapass card do you have to drink them or can you share them with others?

If you are diamond and you have the beverage package do they even bother putting three drinks on your card?

9 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

If you receive the three diamond drinks on your Seapass card do you have to drink them or can you share them with others?

If you are diamond and you have the beverage package do they even bother putting three drinks on your card?

Some concierges have put on the welcome letter that the drinks are for your own consumption, other concierges don’t. 

Yes they put  the 3 drinks on regardless 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Yes, though others in this thread may say no.

Yes.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 9:56 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

I agree the prices are too high.

I would like to see them lower. But, this is no excuse. Rules are 1 package, everyone a package.

Exceptions made for medical reasons.  

My DW and I have an upcoming 31-Day cruise on Celebrity.

Premium Drink Package, for both of us, would be over $4,000.00

Me thinks that ,"for medical reasons",

I could NOT make that package pay for itself.😉

It would be the death of me trying.

Edited by $hip$hape

Everything is a matter of time.  The drink package policy is because of the huge groups of people who shared.  So policy changed.  Next comes the "excuse" phase where one person drinks, and the other is a "light weight" drinker, so they use medical reasons but yet they drink.  It's the new phase of trying to find the loopholes.  Soon, it will change because of this.  My take is this.  I'm Diamond, and my wife who is a "light weight" drinker because of "medical reasons" will always have a drink or two a day and be happy.  I wish I could have the drink package, but honestly, with my free drinks, I barely would break even.  So it doesn't matter to me.  I just prefer the convenience of prepaying it. So all the arguing, finding loopholes, big brother theories, and the unfair and unjust policies will only go away, once the cruise decides to start making everyone and everything all inclusive where everyone pays.  (that includes the tips, the other favorite subject)

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 8:29 PM, Sandman799 said:

This is what I was concerned about.  While there are a lot of people on board to monitor, the computers could easily flag such a conflict if programmed to do so.  This sort of thing only encourages people to share the drink package rather than be honest and pay for the other drink separately.  There needs to be a middle ground somewhere for those who really only will drink a handful of drinks throughout the entire cruise.

What they should do is to sell the 10 drink cards on every cruise so that the occasional alcohol drinker can still enjoy a drink or two a day without having to buy the package or pay the inflated prices for just one drink 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 8:37 AM, blueridgemama said:

What they should do is to sell the 10 drink cards on every cruise so that the occasional alcohol drinker can still enjoy a drink or two a day without having to buy the package or pay the inflated prices for just one drink 

I’d go for that.  Basically it becomes a five drink card because we can share it, and that would be perfect!

I often see it offered was just two or three days left of the cruise and don’t need that many drinks. 

does anyone have any knowledge if a drink card can be carried over to another cruise? 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

46 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I've always just called RCL direct instread of buying online. RCL does require my wife to purchase the refreshment package though, which she does. We've never used any reason such as 'medical' etc.  

I believe the point of the OP is he asked for a Medical Exemption for non drinking spouse who wants to drink. Royal requires all in same cabin 21+ to buy drink package if one buys it. 

On 2/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, rukkian said:

Unless something has changed recently, there are several reasons you can use, one being I prefer not to.  I bought refreshment for me online last year on allure, and then called in and bought deluxe for my wife, just saying I wasn't interested.  I did purchase 2 drunks during the week and had no issues.

Did they behave themselves??  Haha!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1