Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If the ill people have gastro and feel very ill but do not have a fever/cough etc. then it is likely it is Noro, not coronavirus.

That's not necessarily true.  Some people have very mild symptoms. And, it's been reported that some have diarrhea and gastro problems 2 - 3 days before a fever presents.

https://www.sciencealert.com/latest-coronavirus-study-suggests-it-can-also-be-spread-through-poop

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20200209/manatee-and-sarasota-health-departments-arenrsquot-talking-about-coronavirus

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

That's not necessarily true.  Some people have very mild symptoms. And, it's been reported that some have diarrhea and gastro problems 2 - 3 days before a fever presents.

https://www.sciencealert.com/latest-coronavirus-study-suggests-it-can-also-be-spread-through-poop

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20200209/manatee-and-sarasota-health-departments-arenrsquot-talking-about-coronavirus

I have read that the coronavirus can cause gastro problems, but the question is - where would the passengers have contracted coronavirus? The ship left USA on 2nd February. Several days earlier Princess was screening passengers by having them complete a health questionnaire. It asked if they had been to mainland China or Hong Kong or been in contact with someone who had. Unless the passengers came from Asia, it is probably unlikely they would be in Florida for a 2nd February cruise.

Apparently the Captain felt confident enough to make the announcement none of the passengers had coronavirus. It is likely that they were all examined by medical staff, even though they would not have had test kits available to check for the new virus.

27 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Japan quarantined people on land, they only had 20 cases or so from the beginning until now.  

Japan forced Princess to quarantine on the ship, they now have 130 cases and more to come. 

Look, I don't know the answer. I don't know if the air is recycled and the contamination is spreading, but there is a flaw in the logic above.

The REASON the Japanese Government quarantined the passengers is because some passengers had tested positive and there is a 14 day incubation period, during which time a person can be infected and not show any symptoms.   So the fact that in these 14 "quarantined" days more and more people are testing positive, does not prove that the virus is spreading on the ship -- it could be -- but it also could be true that many of those, now infected, were infected before the quarantine was implemented, and have been asymptomatic from the day they got infected until the day they were (recently) diagnosed.

The true test, honestly, would come on day 28-30 of the quarantine when all those infected before quarantine would have displayed symptoms (assuming the no more than 14 day incubation holds true for every case) and been removed from the ship.  If new cases are diagnosed on days 29, 30 of quarantine then the virus is spreading on the quarantined ship.  I believe that it's just too early to tell right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kent9xxx1 said:

The rest of them will get it in a week or so thanks to people who think they are "experts" at virology and ventilation.  Good grief.  If I were those people, I would demand to get off the ship and they can quarantine me on land.  

43 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

No, I don't think they know what they are doing at the time.  

Japan quarantined people on land, they only had 20 cases or so from the beginning until now.  

Japan forced Princess to quarantine on the ship, they now have 130 cases and more to come.  Is it so hard to understand that this is a big risk for the people on the boat?  Why do you insist the experts know best when clearly they don't know anything.  Jesus, look at the numbers and take a moment to think how did it get this far?  

But you think you know more than WHO, the Japanese Ministry of Health, and any other experts that are assisting Princess with this situation?

I expect the final count of passengers and crew who have contracted the virus from the single origin point to be around 160-200. That takes into account passengers who contract it from a cabin mate who was diagnosed after the quarantine started.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not so - you're misreading it.  It probably will be declared a pandemic, but it hasn't yet been.

You are right, I had another look and I did read it wrong. Technically it is not a pandemic but it seems the difference is really minor:

Is the coronavirus a pandemic, and does that matter? 4 questions answered

Seems like some unnecessary labelling🙄.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have read that the coronavirus can cause gastro problems, but the question is - where would the passengers have contracted coronavirus? The ship left USA on 2nd February.

The US didn't stop flights into/out of China until around that time. So anyone who flew on a commercial flight, traveled through an airport or on a bus or train or in an elevator or was in a large public space with lots of strangers (whose travel movements they did not know) in the two weeks prior to boarding could have been exposed to an infected person.  It seems some people are asymptomatic for up to 14 days, so those people could have come to the US, before any bans or quarantines and traveled all over and not realized that they were at risk and were putting others at risk.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

The US didn't stop flights into/out of China until around that time. So anyone who flew on a commercial flight, traveled through an airport or on a bus or train or in an elevator or was in a large public space with lots of strangers (whose travel movements they did not know) in the two weeks prior to boarding could have been exposed to an infected person.  It seems some people are asymptomatic for up to 14 days, so those people could have come to the US, before any bans or quarantines and traveled all over and not realized that they were at risk and were putting others at risk.

Yes, there is a problem if USA didn't bring in travel bans from China until just before the cruise on 2nd February. Although I made the point that a American going on the cruise is unlikely to fly in from China to Florida to go on the ship. I know that 'unlikely' isn't for certain.

While I have all the sympathy in the world for those passengers currently on the Diamond in all honesty they are currently a risk to any population. Over and above that these cruise staterooms are a lot more comfortable than any army base or make shift arrangement. The cruise ship also allows small group quarantine something no other facility could offer for such a substantial number of people.

• Like 5

This is ONLY a question....Has anyone heard of a possible Filipino cruise member onboard that was found dead in the engine room within the last day? I haven't found any reliable source but recently ran across some folks talking about it on the internet (of course 🙄). They said it's being broadcast on local news in the Philippines.

16 minutes ago, Skoobdo said:

This is ONLY a question....Has anyone heard of a possible Filipino cruise member onboard that was found dead in the engine room within the last day? I haven't found any reliable source but recently ran across some folks talking about it on the internet (of course 🙄). They said it's being broadcast on local news in the Philippines.

Looks like fake news. I've been on some Filipino news websites and they don't report any death. There was one site that claims another three crew members have tested positive but I haven't found any other sites to corroborate the story. I hope no one is trying to stir things up in the Philipines.

My concern is for the inside cabin passengers. Can't Australia offer Christmas Island for passengers to get off at their huge quarantine camp. It's hard to imagine how I would cope stuck in an inside cabin but I think people might find adventurous ways to prevent depression. For example calling randon cabins on the free internal phones for supportive chats or even posting here to say I'd like a call in cabin XX please (on the internal phone system not the wider world!) . Little things might help mental resilience in a situation like this. Or call your neighbours. I'm supposed to join (or maybe not?!) QM2 in a week and I'm inside!

Edited by outlawuk
for clarity

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

Looks like fake news. I've been on some Filipino news websites and they don't report any death. There was one site that claims another three crew members have tested positive but I haven't found any other sites to corroborate the story. I hope no one is trying to stir things up in the Philipines.

Actually, I found the article. The crew member was found dead, but on a Royal Caribbean ship. I'll find the article and attach it.

Another thought, I hope of interest to someone. On ships I've been on, if a balcony door is left open the air whistles from the corridor and into the cabin and out the balcony door, so in theory I think any infected air along the corridoor would go through that cabin. I would only open and close the door very quickly if going in or outside to minise risk of air contamination. Maybe I am stating the obvious.

7 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Here's the news article below. They're waiting on test results from his body 😞

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas

Crew member Royal Caribbean

Edited by Skoobdo
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, outlawuk said:

My concern is for the inside cabin passengers. Can't Australia offer Christmas Island for passengers to get off at their huge quarantine camp. It's hard to imagine how I would cope stuck in an inside cabin but I think people might find adventurous ways to prevent depression. For example calling randon cabins on the free internal phones for supportive chats or even posting here to say I'd like a call in cabin XX please (on the internal phone system not the wider world!) . Little things might help mental resilience in a situation like this. Or call your neighbours. I'm supposed to join (or maybe not?!) QM2 in a week and I'm inside!

The Christmas Island facilities are full and the last batch of people taken out of Wuhan are in Darwin somewhere. I think it takes a while to have Christmas Island fully reopened as it was closed and only the first batch of evacuees went there.

But hey, it's nice you suggested Australia take them. No where in the UK suitable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Tell the person on the ship to phone David Abel on their cabin phone, the ship's switchboard should be able to put them through to him. He will be able to advise the best way to get the message to other passengers and how to liase with you.

David has the info and is working on it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Waffopossum said:

Holy cow, is this all out of the original pool of tested people?  Wasn't that less than 300 people?  

waking up and seeing this I is really confirming my concern that somehow this quarantine just did not work......this ship is not the place to be. I am just sad this morning as I see this...and it seems David is not feeling well either....5 members of the crew .....they are preparing and serving the food....now 60 more for a total of 130.

Edited by kathy49

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

waking up and seeing this I is really confirming my concern that somehow this quarantine just did not work......this ship is not the place to be. I am just sad this morning as I see this...and it seems David is not feeling well either....5 members of the crew .....they are preparing and serving the food....now 60 more for a total of 130.

David is FINE. Just cabin dry cough as he states in his recent video chat

So much negativity and fake news here

Edited by Caymus88
Add
  • Like 1