Anthem News Flash

Very simple solution for you ... don't give them your $

I actually am gonna stop giving them my $   I plan to take the cruises I have booked, which is 4. By now I would have had 6 booked. I have no plans to book any further. I am fortunate enough to cruise more than once a year. I think a break is needed from rccl. At least on my part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

How did they get a free hotel?  We had to pay for another day!  They’re not doing anything for us.  Thank goodness we didn’t leave our hotel this morning until we received confirmation that we weren’t sailing.

If you look at the second communication it states 

" If you flew in, we’ll assist you with hotel accommodations up to $200 USD per stateroom. Please send your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for reimbursement.

Thanks again for your patience, understanding, and cooperation. Health, safety, and comfort - first! And, we look forward to seeing you tomorrow for a great cruise! The team onboard is awesome and excited to welcome you!

We will have another update in an hour - if it’s a significant update, we will email you. Otherwise, please check our dedicated Anthem page at www.RoyalCaribbean.com/AnthemUpdates.

28 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

How did they get a free hotel?  We had to pay for another day!  They’re not doing anything for us.  Thank goodness we didn’t leave our hotel this morning until we received confirmation that we weren’t sailing.

According the Anthem update page on the RCCL site, you can submit your receipts for reimbursement. 

2 hours ago, flagger said:

It is shameful the government is not quarantining people in place until the tests come back.  Such a dichotomy between our pitiful government and what Japan is doing with Diamond Princess.

We'll, after hearing about this and reading the pertinent Cruise Critic threads (the "best place" to getting breaking news re: cruise ships; even if speculative), we certainly agree with you.  We only hope that our concerns end up for naught; however, the risk to one of the most populated major urban areas in the world, we would assume that a reasonably prudent person (official) who take a step back and question the decision to allow disembarking.  

So now, as the 24-48 hours pass, we wait to see "if there is a risk that evolves" with such identified passengers or the rest of the 5,000+ other passengers and crew members.

If so, the proverbial 'cat would be out the bag.

Another thought, from my wife, with Port Canaveral next up and Orlando (Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Sea World and the like), if they are willing to take the "risk" based on the current information, and information that unfolds (if any, and WE HOPE NOT) in the coming days before arrival.

If 'they are wrong (even if <1% or even a fraction thereof) applied against the population of greater NYC/NJ, then the population and 'vacationers in Orlando, what a tragic risk calculation error.

We hope we are totally wrong.

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

Is RCCL offering to put people up tonight or are guests left to find their own hotel? 

We just returned to Queens after a wasted 2 1/2 hour drive to/from Bayonne.

To answer your specific question, nothing was said at the pier about hotels.  Nothing on the sheet that was handed to everyone.  After we got home, we got a new email that RCCL was reimbursing people up to $200 for a hotel.  Well that's nice.  Why didn't they say this at the pier?

In addition, we never received notice that the cruise was cancelled for a day until we got to the pier after committing time, tolls and gas.  I'm sure RCCL knew this would happen much earlier.  Why no communication? 

And now, no certainty about tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, yogimax said:

To answer your specific question, nothing was said at the pier about hotels.  Nothing on the sheet that was handed to everyone.  After we got home, we got a new email that RCCL was reimbursing people up to $200 for a hotel.  Well that's nice.  Why didn't they say this at the pier?

In addition, we never received notice that the cruise was cancelled for a day until we got to the pier after committing time, tolls and gas.  I'm sure RCCL knew this would happen much earlier.  Why no communication? 

Same here, just got back to northwestern NJ $200 lighter in the pocket for car service to the port and back home immediately after being turned away at 11:45. Last update email was last evening saying boarding would be delayed and that we should begin arriving between 11:30 and 2:00 for boarding.  Received today’s update too late at 12:30. 

40 minutes ago, yogimax said:

This is exactly what i am talking about. Very very slow communication. With no thought about how their lackadaisical approach effects the customer. 

yeah, RCCL knew about this yesterday and should have really tried to plan for today better. Lots of upset folks now going back & forth with late notifications and added expenses. I'd say tomorrow should be good, but after today, who knows. Here's hoping everyone sales tomorrow at 5pm as currently planned.

19 minutes ago, catilope said:

Same here, just got back to northwestern NJ $200 lighter in the pocket for car service to the port and back home immediately after being turned away at 11:45. Last update email was last evening saying boarding would be delayed and that we should begin arriving between 11:30 and 2:00 for boarding.  Received today’s update too late at 12:30. 

They are only reimbursing for hotel stays for those who flew in from out of town.   If you live "local" no reimbursement for your travel expenses has been mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

We chose to sit tight while RCI typed up their messaging and got it all approved by the team that handles these things. We had lunch near the port and received the hotel reimbursement email notice. Only at that time did we book our hotel. Sitting in the room now. It's not what we wanted to do, but with a little patience and optimism, we made it through and are hopeful things stay the same for tomorrow's departure. 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, robmtx said:

It's not what we wanted to do, but with a little patience and optimism, we made it through and are hopeful things stay the same for tomorrow's departure. 

Great attitude!  🙂  It's so much better to make the best of a not-so-great situation.  I'm hoping you guys sail tomorrow too.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robmtx said:

We chose to sit tight while RCI typed up their messaging and got it all approved by the team that handles these things. We had lunch near the port and received the hotel reimbursement email notice. Only at that time did we book our hotel. Sitting in the room now. It's not what we wanted to do, but with a little patience and optimism, we made it through and are hopeful things stay the same for tomorrow's departure. 

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully you'll get a better start then.

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

from reading previous messages, it looks like rooms were offered if you flew into NYC. $200

17 minutes ago, robmtx said:

better off not sailing tonight anyway, with 15' seas predicted and wicked winds... !!

• Like 1

Poor Anthem, one of my favorite ships but she has had more than her fair share of Drama.  I did her twice in 2016.

This whole virus scare is rippling throughout the cruise industry.

NCL has cancelled the rest of the year for NCL Spirit in Asia.  And over on Celebrity someone is worried about their Australia vacation just because they fly through Hong Kong airport.

Fast becoming scary times and the cruise industry has to try and keep up so patience is very important now these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmck said:

better off not sailing tonight anyway, with 15' seas predicted and wicked winds... !!

well that is a blessing that you won't sail until tomorrow I guess given rough seas planned.  And be glad no bit snow storm either.

Now ya can watch ABC network debates if that is of interest to you.

Toodles enjoy the ship. I love it.  I am doing Odyssey in 2021 out of FLA and then later out of Rome.  Quantum ships are great.

But I am doing Symphony in April and can't wait.  

1 hour ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

If you look at the second communication it states 

" If you flew in, we’ll assist you with hotel accommodations up to $200 USD per stateroom. Please send your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for reimbursement.

Thanks again for your patience, understanding, and cooperation. Health, safety, and comfort - first! And, we look forward to seeing you tomorrow for a great cruise! The team onboard is awesome and excited to welcome you!

We will have another update in an hour - if it’s a significant update, we will email you. Otherwise, please check our dedicated Anthem page at www.RoyalCaribbean.com/AnthemUpdates.

If you "flew in" they'll help with hotel costs?  We always take Amtrak to NJ and we're not alone.  Why not if you traveled more than x miles or flew in?  Of course, we'd just take the day and go into Manhattan and pay for a second night in a hotel because we travel the day before, but if they're going to reimburse, why only for flyers?

• Like 1

Well if the virus spreads all over the place we all have royal Caribbean to thank.  Just saw an interview with a passenger that got off. THEY WERE TOLD NOTHING.  She said they saw the line of ambulance at the port. So they take the 12 Chinese people off and send to hospital. So all the people that had been around these 12 people go about their merry way on the ship then once they get home they do what.  Very very crappy way to handle a bad situation. Didn’t even go to the trouble of letting passengers know.  Let’s just dump this group and reload and keep the money tree going.

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Did you ask for it?  I know that they are being put up by Royal Caribbean.  I don't know the details.