CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have a Carnival cruise booked in April, but a Royal cruise this Sunday out of Florida.  Royal sent an email that they will be taking everyone's temperature.

I think that is an excellent idea. BOTH embarking AND debarking. It will mean some inconvenience to be sure. It is what is necessary under the circumstances, IMHO. 

• Like 3

We have a cruise from Miami to ocho Rios and grand cayman March 23. We cannot get our money back for cancelling. We don’t want to cancel it’s our honeymoon. Not worried about getting sick but very worried about getting stuck on the boat the whole time or quarantined. Should we be worried? It’s our first cruise and we were so looking forward to it before all of this mess.  

I think the procedures Royal Caribbean Is implementing starting tomorrow, while invasive, inconvenient and costly are signs they are moving in the right direction and I would not be surprised to see other lines follow suit. The Coronavirus outbreak is going to cost each line a boatload of money no matter what, it’s just a matter of how big that boat is going to be. I would think keeping the ships sailing even at lower capacity is their top business priority, one or two more infected ships floating out there and all bets are off. 

I would not be surprised to see the CDC and federal authorities step in if things get worse. If the Princess ship off California is infected and I pray it is not, the federal government will have to take responsibility as most of the passengers are US citizens. There are 3500 of them, probably the average age is on the high end, don’t see how they can leave them out there just off our coast, we already know how a ship quarantine works out. So it is going to be a big problem if there are infections and it is going to take a lot of resources to solve it. Not to mention what the passengers will have to go through, think I would rather go through the inconvenience of a more invasive health screening, even if it means getting left at the pier.

I sure hope this gets figured out soon and my ship sails in four weeks with me on it! I am also looking forward to hearing what happens Saturday after the meeting with the Corona Task Force and cruise line executives. Hopefully they come up with some good ideas that help keep the cruise ships sailing through this health scare with happy, healthy cruisers like me! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I just saw a post on FB where they are now allowing Cruisers within a certain period to opt out.  See link below for details.  

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-changes-cancellation-policy-offers-on-board-credit/

That's a win for passengers.  Those who don't feel comfortable sailing can reschedule their cruise and those who do get an onboard credit.  If this goes into effect for my April cruise, I will get $200.  Then I should also get another $100 for the stock I just bought.  Add to that the ship will probably not sail full.  That will be great!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kmp123 said:

We don’t want to cancel it’s our honeymoon.  Should we be worried?

Congratulations.

No you should not be worried.

Go,  Have a blast!

Make great memories.

We celebrated our 25th last year on a cruise and we did a cruise on our honeymoon on the Ecstasy when she was new..

We just pulled out our wedding album this week and looked at the pictures from the cruise as a matter of fact, first time in years..

You have too much going with the wedding to worry about, don't fret over this.

We're booked for an 8 Day  May 2nd and can't wait and again in Sept..

Congrats again and enjoy.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LakeWobegon said:

I hope this is true so we get the OBC. I see numerous other FB groups saying its a hoax. But maybe not. Ah, the internet. : )

Not a hoax.  From John Heald's mouth earlier this morning.

Edited by teacher32
  • Like 1

This is fantastic news and I applaud carnival for giving people some options! I can’t imagine being a cruise travel agent right now - this should help the confusion some for sure! I think I will let this settle a bit and give my big box place a call on Monday for more details. That ship sitting off the SF coast should get their test results today- that’s either gonna reassure some people or scare people further. I’m crossing every finger and toe for reassurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

This is fantastic news and I applaud carnival for giving people some options! I can’t imagine being a cruise travel agent right now - this should help the confusion some for sure! I think I will let this settle a bit and give my big box place a call on Monday for more details. That ship sitting off the SF coast should get their test results today- that’s either gonna reassure some people or scare people further. I’m crossing every finger and toe for reassurance.

Yes.  While I am planning to go ahead with my trip, I am watching how this will be handled. 

28 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

I completely agree and think the cruise lines really had no choice once the Diamond Princess was in trouble. I bet they are disappointed it happened so soon but the likelihood another ship would be come infected was pretty high once the virus made it to the US. 

Because of all our extenuating circumstances, my daughter being a school teacher, my 90 year old mother, the other cruise the kids have booked, I am almost certain we will postpone until summer. If not for those reasons and especially if we lived in Texas and did not have to fly we would probably go ahead with the original cruise. I am still not afraid of the virus and think it probably is way overblown but in the climate we have now I think we should take the opportunity to reschedule. 4 1/2 months should be enough time for things to settle down. 

I put a cruise onhold last night as soon as I read the news, thanks Jimbo! It’s July 25th, same ship and itinerary, I had to switch my ocean suite to a regular balcony but was able to get a couple of balconies on deck 11, right in the heart of the action. It should be a lot more fun, especially for my 7 year old grandson, we’re moving up! 

• Like 1

I completely agree and think the cruise lines really had no choice once the Diamond Princess was in trouble. I bet they are disappointed it happened so soon but the likelihood another ship would be come infected was pretty high once the virus made it to the US. 

Because of all our extenuating circumstances, my daughter being a school teacher, my 90 year old mother, the other cruise the kids have booked, I am almost certain we will postpone until summer. If not for those reasons and especially if we lived in Texas and did not have to fly we would probably go ahead with the original cruise. I am still not afraid of the virus and think it probably is way overblown but in the climate we have now I think we should take the opportunity to reschedule. 4 1/2 months should be enough time for things to settle down. 

I put a cruise onhold last night as soon as I read the news, thanks Jimbo! It’s July 25th, same ship and itinerary, I had to switch my ocean suite to a regular balcony but was able to get a couple of balconies on deck 11, right in the heart of the action. It should be a lot more fun, especially for my 7 year old grandson, we’re moving up! 

How did price compare? I’m curious.

The fact that we have no airfare since we can drive to the port makes all the difference. It’s the main reason I’ve not yet canceled. I’ve never been afraid of this virus but I *am* afraid of a quarantine (ports also matter to me and we’ve never been to GC which is why i chose this specific itinerary. I know others don’t cruise for ports but for us it’s a big part—Belize vs GC makes a diff to me but I know I’m in the minority in that). My husband would lose his ever-loving mind in a quarantine (which means i would lose mine) and he also has a big work conference 10 days after we return. My other concern is my son is bringing his girlfriend and it harder to be responsible for someone else’s “kid” (they are 21 but still). The week we return BOTH of them are taking grad school entrance exams— so a quarantine would really screw up a lot of things. So many moving pieces. I have 14 days to make a decision. I’m just glad carnival did this to help those whose cruise date is very soon. Options are always a good thing!

• Like 1

I am pretty new to cruising and this board . My family and I have a cruise booked out of Galveston to the Bahamas June 6. This is only our 2nd cruise . The policy change does  not apply to us .. Yet. My granddaughter has school , so summer is really the best time for us to sail. Therefore the credit deadline of March 31 2021 would not help in our situation if this drags on. For now , I’ll wait and see what happens . I did purchase CFAR insurance when I booked last year . But would hate to have to cancel . We’ve been planning for a year and Yes .. ports are very important to us also .. be safe everyone 

2 minutes ago, UrbishN said:

I am pretty new to cruising and this board . My family and I have a cruise booked out of Galveston to the Bahamas June 6. This is only our 2nd cruise . The policy change does  not apply to us .. Yet. My granddaughter has school , so summer is really the best time for us to sail. Therefore the credit deadline of March 31 2021 would not help in our situation if this drags on. For now , I’ll wait and see what happens . I did purchase CFAR insurance when I booked last year . But would hate to have to cancel . We’ve been planning for a year and Yes .. ports are very important to us also .. be safe everyone 

We all hope it will be over by your cruise

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, hawkeye93 said:

How did price compare? I’m curious.

The fact that we have no airfare since we can drive to the port makes all the difference. It’s the main reason I’ve not yet canceled. I’ve never been afraid of this virus but I *am* afraid of a quarantine (ports also matter to me and we’ve never been to GC which is why i chose this specific itinerary. I know others don’t cruise for ports but for us it’s a big part—Belize vs GC makes a diff to me but I know I’m in the minority in that). My husband would lose his ever-loving mind in a quarantine (which means i would lose mine) and he also has a big work conference 10 days after we return. My other concern is my son is bringing his girlfriend and it harder to be responsible for someone else’s “kid” (they are 21 but still). The week we return BOTH of them are taking grad school entrance exams— so a quarantine would really screw up a lot of things. So many moving pieces. I have 14 days to make a decision. I’m just glad carnival did this to help those whose cruise date is very soon. Options are always a good thing!

It was more but not as bad as I thought it would be. Fortunately I booked an Ocean Suite that I don’t really need for the Easter Cruise which made the price for two balconies about the same, only $100 more. We are up on deck 11 now which I think will be fabulous for the family, two balconies on 8 would have been $250 less than the  cruise credit we will have.

But of course I have already made a change, lol! I noticed that the cabin I booked for the hubby and I is an adjoining cabin, especially in a family area that concerns me. So I switched to a spa balcony which is a few steps away, it was another $180 but not rebooking FTTF will take care of that. Now I just have to get confirmation from the kids and then wait on hold with Carnival for hours, I can do this! 

It was the possible quarantine that is the deal breaker for us too. My daughter can’t afford to miss two weeks of school and my SIL just started his dream job. I am really not going to give them a choice, I know this is the right decision for us. You will make the right decision for your family too, have a great cruise! 

Edited by LaRue1975

"Effective Immediately: Posts about Coronavirus by those NOT sailing on a Roll Call are not allowed."

This banner popped up about 10 minutes ago. I'm not sure what that means. Anybody know?

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

"Effective Immediately: Posts about Coronavirus by those NOT sailing on a Roll Call are not allowed."

This banner popped up about 10 minutes ago. I'm not sure what that means. Anybody know?

No idea.  I am sailing but I am not on a roll call.  I would hate to see discussion here come to an end.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

No idea.  I am sailing but I am not on a roll call.  I would hate to see discussion here come to an end.

I can't decide what that means.  Does it mean if you were on a roll call you can't post you aren't going anymore (I did ask if anyone on my roll call is cancelling).  Or does it mean that if you aren't sailing, you can't post in roll calls about cancelations.  I mean, if you shouldn't be in a roll call, you can't post there.  

39 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

OH wait.  I just noticed mine.  It now says "Do not post about Coronavirus on Roll Calls if you aren't sailing on that cruise".  So option #2. 

To me the only ambiguous thing would be say you have been on the roll call but now due to fear of coronavirus and have cancelled. can you post that? Or can you now no longer on the cruise continue to post as you have befriended some of the others on the roll call still intending to sail?