CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The question is really that it is not required to use a passport on a closed end cruise.  Knowing what you know and the scrutiny you (it is an example, not saying you would do this) would be subject to, you could use the non passport way for your next cruise.  I doubt they have anything that could detect this and the barn door is suddenly open.  

Yes, but the cruise lines have said that if anyone lies about travel they will be disembarked at the next port.  With international travel the way it is, they can easily find out when they run your information through Homeland Security.  

1 hour ago, ilovesparky13 said:

And this is yet another reason why it should be required for all cruise passengers to carry passports with regardless of whether it’s closed-loop or open-loop. 

I do not disagree.  

34 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

Yes, but the cruise lines have said that if anyone lies about travel they will be disembarked at the next port.  With international travel the way it is, they can easily find out when they run your information through Homeland Security.  

I understand, and hope this scenario would never come up.  Too many holes in to many systems ensures something falls through the cracks.  The CDC already screwed up and released someone in Texas that tested positive, stuff happens.  All that said, I think cruising is still safe for everyone, leaving in 10 days for an 8 day cruise.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

Agree!  the cruise industry is very different from the airline industry!  People have to fly sometimes...business, emergencies, etc.  Cruising is purely leisure/vacation for passengers. 

This whole situation is uncharted territory for Travel Insurance Companies, Cruise Industry, Passengers.  I do think everyone should help with the situation.  Perhaps insurance companies should cover those that are high risk or immunocompromised (for the record this doesn't apply to my family).  Perhaps Cruise companies should be more lenient in their refund/cancellation policies at the moment.  Truth is that those of us who booked a cruise WANT to go on a cruise...so its not like they will lose our business in the end.  

I think it has to be black or whit in reference to them opening a door, either they open it or not.  The damage of taking actions like this is not a going out of business scenario, but rather how big a dent you make.  In their view, they will react when the cruise is going to somewhere where there is a closure or travel ban.  When it becomes travel in general, it is a huge impact.

Was just on the phone with Carnival with questions about my upcoming cruise. She mentioned an itinerary change and asked if I had gotten the email. I said no and she quickly changed the subject and wouldn't answer questions about it. It is the deceptiveness that is disappointing. I'm like others, we don't want to cancel or move cruises. We all book vacations because we want to go, but when a company is unreasonable, it makes you quickly reconsider who you do business with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michael123 said:

Was just on the phone with Carnival with questions about my upcoming cruise. She mentioned an itinerary change and asked if I had gotten the email. I said no and she quickly changed the subject and wouldn't answer questions about it. It is the deceptiveness that is disappointing. I'm like others, we don't want to cancel or move cruises. We all book vacations because we want to go, but when a company is unreasonable, it makes you quickly reconsider who you do business with.

Was this a random person at the end of an 800 number, or do you have a PVP? If it was a PVP, change your PVP.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:40 PM, LaRue1975 said:

For me this has been an evolving issue for a week now, being the super planner and control freak that I am it has been very frustrating. I booked our family cruise almost a year in advance, made sure everyone had passports and bought trip insurance, not Carnival because I wanted high dollar medical, including medical evacuation. 

Thursday we will hit 30 days out and our last chance to cancel and at least get a 50% refund, that decision has been totally stressing me out. This is a big deal and a lot of money for us, we probably won’t get a do  over if we don’t go and don’t get a refund. I have come to what I think is a logical conclusion,  I have no control over this!

We are not going to cancel, if the ship goes we go, the Vista April 4th. I am going to put my faith in Carnival and if the situation gets to the point we are seriously putting our lives in danger they will cancel, therefore triggering a full refund. I am putting my faith in Carnival mostly because it just doesn’t make good business sense to do otherwise. 

As we wait I will hope and pray the Coronavirus causes as little damage as possible which is the real concern. The cruise is a minor glitch and money is just that money, it’s already spent so obviously not important to my family’s well being and safety. 

Happy cruising everyone, this too shall pass and keep sharing the latest info. 

We're on the same cruise and I've been a bit stressed out, as well.  My biggest concern is some sort of quarantine.  We want to go, but also recognize that it is a fluid situation.  I'd feel a lot better if I could just cancel with a full refund and go once this has all calmed down.    

14 minutes ago, michael123 said:

What you described doesn't demonstrate good business practices.

12 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Was this a random person at the end of an 800 number, or do you have a PVP? If it was a PVP, change your PVP.

Was a 1-800 person. We aren't 4 time per year cruisers and plan our one vacation per year through discount websites. Probably why I'm overly worried as this is our 1 shot per year at a vacation and now the cruise line has info they aren't willing to share. 

Just now, michael123 said:

Was a 1-800 person. We aren't 4 time per year cruisers and plan our one vacation per year through discount websites. Probably why I'm overly worried as this is our 1 shot per year at a vacation and now the cruise line has info they aren't willing to share. 

You don't have to cruise a lot to have a PVP. But totally understandable if you would rather not have one.

I would have asked to talk to a supervisor. The email she was referencing may be the one someone posted on CC this morning. Did you read that post? If not, you should go see if you can find that.

I feel like most of the ports are pretty much the same.  They all offer pretty much the same type of excursions.  So I am in the belief of that as long as we have a few ports to enjoy some excursions I am happy. After all any port is better than work right??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiffnate531 said:

I feel like most of the ports are pretty much the same.  They all offer pretty much the same type of excursions.  So I am in the belief of that as long as we have a few ports to enjoy some excursions I am happy. After all any port is better than work right??

That's the way I feel too.  When you cruise, there is always a risk of the ports being changed.  One year we booked an eastern Caribbean cruise, but due to a hurricane we were rerouted to western.  I was very excited about the original ports, but that's the way it goes.  Another year we booked a cruise to Bermuda, but due to a hurricane we were rerouted to other ports. Both times I was happy to be sailing and enjoyed the different ports.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's the way I feel too.  When you cruise, there is always a risk of the ports being changed.  One year we booked an eastern Caribbean cruise, but due to a hurricane we were rerouted to western.  I was very excited about the original ports, but that's the way it goes.  Another year we booked a cruise to Bermuda, but due to a hurricane we were rerouted to other ports. Both times I was happy to be sailing and enjoyed the different ports.

My problem is that they still have the original itinerary listed on the website when Carnival has information that those stops aren't happening. They are selling cruises today by lying to their loyal customers. Sad business. Guess that's what I get for booking the discount line.

4 minutes ago, Tiffnate531 said:

I was told by my PVP that Carnival is taking it on a week by week basis.  As of last night my itinerary for March 15th of the Horizon has NOT changed yet.

The ports are controlling who they are or are not letting in, and Carnival's decisions are based on that. The situation has been fluid, so I can certainly understand that they would not know for future cruises. Even day to day would be tough right now.

23 minutes ago, michael123 said:

My problem is that they still have the original itinerary listed on the website when Carnival has information that those stops aren't happening. They are selling cruises today by lying to their loyal customers. Sad business. Guess that's what I get for booking the discount line.

What stops aren't happening?

My understanding is that a couple of ships have been refused docking in two ports but other cruise ships have been able to.  

2 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

The ports are controlling who they are or are not letting in, and Carnival's decisions are based on that. The situation has been fluid, so I can certainly understand that they would not know for future cruises. Even day to day would be tough right now.

I totally agree amy. In fact, I firmly believe the destination port authorities don't even know if they will let ships debark until right when the ship gets into port, because they haven't made up their minds yet. And that totally isn't Carnival's fault. 

Just now, Joe817 said:

I totally agree amy. In fact, I firmly believe the destination port authorities don't even know if they will let ships debark until right when the ship gets into port, because they haven't made up their minds yet. And that totally isn't Carnival's fault. 

Yes. It's very hard on everyone. Those ports depend on cruise revenue. But also imagine being a resident of a port, especially an island where many do not have the means to leave, knowing that an influx of people from all over are coming in on a regular basis.

24 minutes ago, michael123 said:

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.  As of right now Carnival and all other cruise lines are probably scrambling to make alternate plans in case more ports stop denying entry.  It is literally a day to day evolving scenario.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

What stops aren't happening?

My understanding is that a couple of ships have been refused docking in two ports but other cruise ships have been able to.  

That is the problem, the Carnival representative on the phone mentioned it and had the info, but wouldn't share it. I understand it is totally fluid right now, but if they have info and are currently selling cruises that have ports listed that they for sure aren't stopping at, that is a not only a business problem, but a potential legal problem. I booked much earlier, but if someone booked today with this info, it could get ugly.

3 minutes ago, michael123 said:

That is the problem, the Carnival representative on the phone mentioned it and had the info, but wouldn't share it. I understand it is totally fluid right now, but if they have info and are currently selling cruises that have ports listed that they for sure aren't stopping at, that is a not only a business problem, but a potential legal problem. I booked much earlier, but if someone booked today with this info, it could get ugly.

Every sale comes with the stipulation that ports can change with no compensation.  
I don't see it as a problem. If you are booking today, they are not only covered by that, but anyone planning travel should be aware by now that this situation may affect their travel.  

There is no port that I am aware of that has totally closed to Carnival at this point.  

7 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Every sale comes with the stipulation that ports can change with no compensation.  
I don't see it as a problem. If you are booking today, they are not only covered by that, but anyone planning travel should be aware by now that this situation may affect their travel.  

There is no port that I am aware of that has totally closed to Carnival at this point.  

Correct. No matter who you book the cruise through.

I do have sympathy for the OP with regard to how the Carnival employee on the phone reacted. I know they are probably pretty stressed right now, because like I said, this is hard on everyone. But that sure didn't help the situation any.

1 hour ago, michael123 said:

Lol well that is an attitude. 

1 hour ago, michael123 said:

Do you know that?