CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

2 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

It also lives on surfaces for a period of time.  So you can touch something and pick it up. Hence the hand washing and not touching your face recommendations.  

I agree with you, but the number of times I have noticed people in public  restrooms on the ship do #2, then come out of the stall and not wash their hands.

Having the staff serve, and not having 100's of people use the serving utensils in buffet lines would help too.

No situation will be perfect, but if everyone did as you mentioned, it would go a long way in minimizing any of the outbreaks.

5 minutes ago, tinleypark andy said:

I agree with you, but the number of times I have noticed people in public  restrooms on the ship do #2, then come out of the stall and not wash their hands.

Having the staff serve, and not having 100's of people use the serving utensils in buffet lines would help too.

No situation will be perfect, but if everyone did as you mentioned, it would go a long way in minimizing any of the outbreaks.

I agree with you 100% on having the crew serve any buffet food. 

• Like 3

Ah boy!
Just when you need them, they're not there for ya!

Two major Canadian travel insurance providers

will no longer cover new customers who need to cancel their trips......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/coronavirus-manulife-tugo-travel-insurance-1.5486117?fbclid=IwAR2Cf8xY8CR10hN6cKeHwCsGOtmYyuzQsIOEN08t82eUZwBUuus5uliWFXI

Previously in this thread I dared to say that people should be forced to wash their hands before going to the buffet.  "Unenforceable!" they cried.

Well, here we go...

Pace said they've noticed subtle changes on the cruise. They had to wash their hands and use hand sanitizer before getting a plate and silverware for the buffet.
"And crew handled everything," he said. "We were not allowed to serve ourselves."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/health/california-coronavirus-cruise-ship-thursday/index.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AmBear said:

At best, lets say they're guessing as the CDC says they're not sure how its spread. From my knowledge of AC, its possible for disease to spread this way, ie legionnaires disease etc.!

Quite possibly these people you quoted are correct, but it doesn't make sense the cause of 700 people ill in quarantine was one sick employee, maybe, but maybe not!

He is a career chief engineer on  ships. He explained how a ship's air conditioning worked, and how it is different from systems in hotels.

And I am sure more than one crew member was ill. I'm assuming on the ship they live in much closer quarters than passengers do. That doctor was only commenting on their steward.

5 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Hiya there Jim !

Amazing what can bring me back to the boards from time to time  🙂

My next booked cruise is on the Mardi Gras next March. By then, hopefully this all will be well in the past.

If nothing else - in the meantime I think I'll periodically recheck my cruise rates !!

Right, my next is on the Mardi Gras in Feb 2021 but I don't think I will get a better deal than they already gave me for being in the first 8 sailings that were cancelled because the ship would not be ready. But I will be checking. 😃

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

He is a career chief engineer on  ships. He explained how a ship's air conditioning worked, and how it is different from systems in hotels.

And I am sure more than one crew member was ill. I'm assuming on the ship they live in much closer quarters than passengers do. That doctor was only commenting on their steward.

Then he'd know AC/cooled air on ships is recirculated inside the ship through what they call a rotary heat exchanger.

Recirculating air saves cruise lines about 50% on their energy bill.

Also, the amount of recirculated air is lower on a cruise ship then on a airliner.

1 hour ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Previously in this thread I dared to say that people should be forced to wash their hands before going to the buffet.  "Unenforceable!" they cried.

Well, here we go...

Pace said they've noticed subtle changes on the cruise. They had to wash their hands and use hand sanitizer before getting a plate and silverware for the buffet.
"And crew handled everything," he said. "We were not allowed to serve ourselves."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/health/california-coronavirus-cruise-ship-thursday/index.html

Now if they made everyone wash their hands after using the bathroom!-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AmBear said:

Then he'd know AC/cooled air on ships is recirculated inside the ship through what they call a rotary heat exchanger.

Recirculating air saves cruise lines about 50% on their energy bill.

Also, the amount of recirculated air is lower on a cruise ship then on a airliner.

Airplane air is 50% fresh air and 50% air recirculated through HEPA filters. Not sure what you mean by “lower”.  No way the virus is being spread through the air conditioning. They say you should keep the air vent on in a plane to help push the germs from your face.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416

We returned from a NCL cruise about a month ago. Before you even walked into the buffet area your hands were sprayed with an alcohol based product. 
The crew members served all meals, and the silverware was wrapped up on each individual table so that people couldn’t touch it on their way through buffet. 
It was great , and I think everyone on board really appreciated it 

• Like 2

I have a Carnival cruise booked in April, but a Royal cruise this Sunday out of Florida.  Royal sent an email that they will be taking everyone's temperature.

It was less than a week ago that I was told how ridiculous the possibility of that protocol being implemented was. I’m all for it. I’m also in favor of mandatory hand sanitizer before eating and having the crew serve the food and the silverware wrapped. Good on RCL to implement this.

I *really* hope all the tests from the swabs done today on the group from Diamond Princess come back negative tomorrow. Does anyone know how many were tested? Around 100 I believe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have a Carnival cruise booked in April, but a Royal cruise this Sunday out of Florida.  Royal sent an email that they will be taking everyone's temperature.

Can you post the email?

• Like 1

This is from Royal Caribbean regarding my cruise this Sunday on Harmony of the Seas

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Over the last few weeks, we’ve implemented new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations, to ensure we maintain a healthy environment onboard as developments related to coronavirus COVID-19 continue to change globally. While we continue to assess the impact, we’ve decided to add a new health screening which supports all our initiatives put in place to help keep you healthy & safe!

So, starting March 6th, 2020 on all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry. 

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect: 

• Your temperature will be checked again. 
    • You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level. 
  • If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.
  • Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail. 

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation while we do everything possible to keep our ships safe for you! We look forward to seeing you onboard!

Sincerely,
Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

It was less than a week ago that I was told how ridiculous the possibility of that protocol being implemented was. I’m all for it. I’m also in favor of mandatory hand sanitizer before eating and having the crew serve the food and the silverware wrapped. Good on RCL to implement this.

I *really* hope all the tests from the swabs done today on the group from Diamond Princess come back negative tomorrow. Does anyone know how many were tested? Around 100 I believe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lot can happen in a week, guess you must feel pretty vindicated. 😎

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This is from Royal Caribbean regarding my cruise this Sunday on Harmony of the Seas

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Over the last few weeks, we’ve implemented new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations, to ensure we maintain a healthy environment onboard as developments related to coronavirus COVID-19 continue to change globally. While we continue to assess the impact, we’ve decided to add a new health screening which supports all our initiatives put in place to help keep you healthy & safe!

So, starting March 6th, 2020 on all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry. 

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect: 

• Your temperature will be checked again. 
    • You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level. 
  • If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.
  • Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail. 

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation while we do everything possible to keep our ships safe for you! We look forward to seeing you onboard!

Sincerely,

Pretty interesting and wow.  

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Pretty interesting and wow.  

Yes.  I am surprised.  I guess they are really doing all they can do to try to keep sick people from boarding the ship.  I am fine with it.  Maybe people who are sick will call in the day before the cruise and take the credit.

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes.  I am surprised.  I guess they are really doing all they can do to try to keep sick people from boarding the ship.  I am fine with it.  Maybe people who are sick will call in the day before the cruise and take the credit.

Who can argue with the logic.  On a ship with 6400, I question how they can do all those things and get people on before sail time.  What if people do not think they are sick (and are not with anything like Carona?  What if someone who has asthma(like me) does not have baseline numbers?  What if some runs a temp over 100?  Not expecting you to have those answers.  As I said...wow

11 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Maybe anyone who is afraid to board will call in the day of saying they are sick.  Again...wow

30 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Who can argue with the logic.  On a ship with 6400, I question how they can do all those things and get people on before sail time.  What if people do not think they are sick (and are not with anything like Carona?  What if someone who has asthma(like me) does not have baseline numbers?  What if some runs a temp over 100?  Not expecting you to have those answers.  As I said...wow

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Well, from a passenger's perspective, the less people who board the ship, the better.

I guess, I do not think of it as a us vs them scenario but more of the industry, which we know is under the microscope.  Be interesting to watch this unfold.  

Edited by jimbo5544

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I guess, I do not think of it as a us vs them scenario but more of the industry, which we know is under the microscope.  Be interesting to watch this unfold.  

I look as it as less people who are severely sick will board.  They will get FCC.  People who are sick or scared and say they are sick may just call in to get their credit.  That means less people on the ship. It will be less crowded, will have less sick people, and lessen the likelihood of healthy passengers catching something.  I know it will cost the cruise ships money, but better that than be turned away from a port because someone has coronavirus-like symptoms and everyone is freaking out.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I look as it as less people who are severely sick will board.  They will get FCC.  People who are sick or scared and say they are sick may just call in to get their credit.  That means less people on ship the ship. It will be less crowded, will have less sick people, and lessen the likelihood of healthy passengers catching something.  I know it will cost the cruise ships money, but better that than be turned away because some has coronavirus-like symptoms and everyone is freaking out.

Cannot argue the logic, clearly better than performance to date.  As we know, they can express zero symptoms and then bang, so it could miss the screening as well.  Let’s hope this passes soon, also be interested in the pence met on Saturday

• Like 1