CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

Here is an article on the Grand Princess ship off the coast of California and also an article on an incident involving another Princess Ship. It’s USA Today so I don’t think you need a subscription to read it. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/04/coronavirus-princess-cruises-ship-met-protest-over-no-testing/4950651002/

8 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

We are on the 4/18 Horizon. Looking forward to the potential room upgrades. Unless it’s canceled. Would suck but would get all our money back.

Do you have some type of insurance that would get you all your money back?  I don't think we took insurance out this time, which is not like us.  But, from previous notes on this thread, it looks like the insurance companies have lots of loop holes in regards to pandemic/epidemic.

38 minutes ago, Derbie said:

I am afraid so.  The news is reporting the passenger on the ship has died. Very sad.

That is incorrect. It was not a passenger on the ship. It is a passenger that was previously on the ship. Currently they are holding the ship because there were B2B passengers on this sailing that had been around passengers that were in the previous sailing have tested positive with one who has passed. 

• Like 1

That is incorrect. It was not a passenger on the ship. It is a passenger that was previously on the ship. Currently they are holding the ship because there were B2B passengers on this sailing that had been around passengers that were in the previous sailing have tested positive with one who has passed. 

Correct. We have got to make sure to correct the incorrect info.

Here’s the latest summary I’ve seen. I haven’t yet heard when the test kits are to arrive but I’m assuming it’s today. Let’s all hope for the best until we know more. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/first-coronavirus-death-california-linked-grand-princess-cruise-ship-quarantine/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

WTH is it with Princess Cruises?

Someone put a hex on them, or what??

GrandPrin-191.jpg

These passenger all need to be taken off this ship, and put into 14 day min quarantine, leaving them on the ship with recirculated air is the worse thing they can do, as the ship in Japan proved!

• Like 4

These passenger all need to be taken off this ship, and put into 14 day min quarantine, leaving them on the ship with recirculated air is the worse thing they can do, as the ship in Japan proved!

I’m thinking (hoping) that’s what will happen. The governor just needed a little extra time to get prepared and also get the first round of test kits delivered and processed to get a slightly better handle on what’s currently the situation— eapecially for the 21 that are currently exhibiting symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Derbie said:

Do you have some type of insurance that would get you all your money back?  I don't think we took insurance out this time, which is not like us.  But, from previous notes on this thread, it looks like the insurance companies have lots of loop holes in regards to pandemic/epidemic.

I don’t have any insurance. But if Carnival cancel the cruise, I’m pretty sure they will give us a refund or full credit for a future cruise.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I understand, and hope this scenario would never come up.  Too many holes in to many systems ensures something falls through the cracks.  The CDC already screwed up and released someone in Texas that tested positive, stuff happens.  All that said, I think cruising is still safe for everyone, leaving in 10 days for an 8 day cruise.  

Think we are sailing with you.

20 minutes ago, rukkian said:

The demographic is older, and probably a bit more traveled.

Yup, and to your more traveled point, more “worldly” traveled as well.  Kind of like the perfect transmission vehicle for a virus as well, not good.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Fair enough, how many ships does Viking ocean have?   Where are their itineraries?  Point me to a major line. How many people cruisr in them week to week?  I have no idea what the second point is. 

You can look up number of ships and itineraries as easily as I can, but my two of my Carnival ports (San Juan and St. Thomas) are repeated on my Viking Cruise.  I can't point you to another "major" line since I only have the two cruises booked.

I do recognize the two lines are different (slight understatement 😉 ) - which is why I described Carnival as the everyday apple and Viking as the growing niche market apple, but they are both ocean sailing cruises.  I read your posts as we shouldn't compare air policies to cruise policies, so I offered an example of a cruise line policy.

I saw a CC article showing what some of the lines are doing and HAL (part of the Carnival umbrella for those who might not know) was listed.  I don't know if you consider them a major line or not but that article might give you an idea of what others are doing.

I'm on the Breeze on the 21st.  Number of people at work today who have asked if I am still going:  8.  Number of times I have relayed that I am at no more risk on that cruise than I am taking the NYC Subway on a daily basis:  8.

7 minutes ago, meanjean80 said:

I'm on the Breeze on the 21st.  Number of people at work today who have asked if I am still going:  8.  Number of times I have relayed that I am at no more risk on that cruise than I am taking the NYC Subway on a daily basis:  8.

My prof sent me an email last night about the current situation with Princess.  She thinks I'm absolutely insane for considering going.  Her fear is more the quarantine. 

My biggest fear is the missed ports. 

• Like 2