Refunds from Oceania

stageberglaw

So are you saying you haven’t receive your full refund only the deposit?  The reason I ask is that my cruise was canceled about a week ago and I had my TA request a refund rather than fcc. She said it would take about 4-6 weeks and told me the amount I would get credited back to my card.  The amount is exactly the total amount we paid for this trip. I was just wondering if I will get the $1500 deposit first followed by the balance later.

46 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

I was just wondering if I will get the $1500 deposit first followed by the balance later.

That's basically how it worked out for us, with the full amount refunded in pieces over the course of a week or so. Others' experience may have varied from this.

Edited by JDincalif

1 minute ago, JDincalif said:

That's basically how it worked out for us, with the full amount refunded in pieces over the course of a week or so. Others' experience may have varied from this.

Okay - everyone on this thread trying to "crystal ball" your refund OR offer irrelevant info as regards any one person's specific circumstances- LISTEN UP:

You will get your promised refund.

Unless it's a simple deposit done on one card with no optional add-ons, it will need to pass through multiple departments - most (if not all) who are working from home. Some transactions (like book onboard - with bonus SBC) will take more effort to disaggregate. And now, the situation is different than it was just one month ago (at least, thousands instead of hundreds of people affected; multiple offers on the table; etc.

You can  bet that every possible refund scenario has already been discussed multiple times on this (and other similar) threads. So, I suggest that anyone now joining in the conversation first read through this and all other pertinent Oceania threads before asking the exact same question that has been posted over and over again.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:14 PM, Pies4u said:

We just received notification of our refund for the Marina cruise which was scheduled to commence on Sat 4 April. It is, quite frankly, staggering. It bears no resemblance to any figure that we have actually paid, I have no idea how they arrived at that particular figure. In fact, even the FCC figure barely equates to the basic cruise price we paid. I have no idea what explanation they have for that but Ihave registered a dispute with them and they are, to be fair, saying that they will look into it further. The UK reservations dept do seem to accept that the calculated figure is wrong.

I regard 100% refund to amount to the figure that we actually paid to Oceania directly. I can see no reason for them to withhold the monies paid for business class air or the enforced hotel accommodation. None of our contracts are with the airline or hotel, they are directly with Oceania. Offering us a figure that is £5k short of our actual outlay is pretty poor in my view. Very disappointed with that tbh.

Hoping for some clarity in the next few days.

Surely  you are covered under ABTA  or ATLO as provided  by your travel agent look at your terms and conditions provided with your  final invoice 

Interesting option, thanks, but since Thomas Cook went "belly up", I am a direct customer and Oceania are liable for delivering the package booked. When I checked the ABTA certificate provide by Oceania it was silent on cancellation for other reasons than insolvency. Unless they cease trading I can't see how an ABTA OR ATOL certificate provides any protection at all tbh, but I'll look again.

56 minutes ago, Pies4u said:

Interesting option, thanks, but since Thomas Cook went "belly up", I am a direct customer and Oceania are liable for delivering the package booked. When I checked the ABTA certificate provide by Oceania it was silent on cancellation for other reasons than insolvency. Unless they cease trading I can't see how an ABTA OR ATOL certificate provides any protection at all tbh, but I'll look again.

If you paid by credit card you would also be covered,also you booked under the conditions provided at the time of booking they would be responsible for those conditions .

It is Oceania U.K that you need to  be contacting If you need any names there Contact me on shoeuk at hotmail.com,I might be in the same position in a few weeks as they continue to cancel cruises

Cheers Roger. I am in touch with the national sales manager - but he is proving a tad elusive. I paid by debit card, so I don't think that offers anycover. Credit card cover has strict limits too as I understand it, so you can't automatically assume all card fees are refundable.

I've re-checked the ATOL cert, as I thought, it only provides protection in the case of insolvency. Oceania are, most certainly, liable for refunding customers who paid money directly to them as they have not provided the service for which they gave been paid. I have no contract with the hotel & airline involved so there is no claim that I can make there either.

If there is any chasing up of insurance etc it is a matter for Oceania, not their customers.

Edited by Pies4u

5 minutes ago, Pies4u said:

Cheers Roger. I am in touch with the national sales manager - but he is proving a tad elusive. I paid by debit card, so I don't think that offers anycover. Credit card cover has strict limits too as I understand it, so you can't automatically assume all card fees are refundable.

I've re-checked the ATOL cert, as I thought, it only provides protection in the case of insolvency. Oceania are, most certainly, liable for refunding customers who paid money directly to them as they have not provided the service for which they gave been paid. I have no contract with the hotel & airline involved so there is no claim that I can make there either.

If there is any chasing up ofinsurance etc it is a matter for Oceania, not their customers.

If you do not get any joy with getting the 25% I would go the small claims court  for your balance.

2 hours ago, Pies4u said:

Maybe paying  by cash  will just take longer to  do the refund  than those that paid by CC

It would need to go to a different dept  maybe to cut you a cheque ??

I would never pay by cash but it seems that is the way it is done in the UK

back to Regional differences

7 hours ago, roger b said:

Surely  you are covered under ABTA  or ATLO as provided  by your travel agent look at your terms and conditions provided with your  final invoice 

Though this is from Oceania's U.S. T&Cs, perhaps it will help your siscussion:

If We cancel the Cruise or CruiseTour before it has started, We will refund the full Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare that We have actually received (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

So, I suggest that anyone now joining in the conversation first read through this and all other pertinent Oceania threads before asking the exact same question that has been posted over and over again.

I just have to ask: are you a moderator here? If you see a repeat and it bothers you then skip it...or report it. Please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Pleased to say the full refund for our 4 March cruise was paid into our account yesterday by our TA.

We were notified last Friday that the money had come through to the wholesaler in NZ who was then transferring it to the

Travel agency we used.

Our cruise was cancelled on 20 February by Oceania.

We hadn't paid a deposit as when we decided on this cruise full payment had to be made in November when we booked.

We didn't receive the US$300 pp for airfare cancellation in the refund but TA is going to be chasing this up.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I just have to ask: are you a moderator here? If you see a repeat and it bothers you then skip it...or report it. Please.

If you read Flatbushs posts you would think he owns Oceania.....he's even promised that we will get our refunds: "You will get your promised refund".......it would be really GREAT if he divulged exactly how he knows this is going to happen. Maybe THEN he can chill us out.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

If you read Flatbushs posts you would think he owns Oceania.....he's even promised that we will get our refunds: "You will get your promised refund".......it would be really GREAT if he divulged exactly how he knows this is going to happen. Maybe THEN he can chill us out.

With all due respect, you are new to CC and to this forum with 40 posts.

Those of us that have been around for a very long time know FlatbushFlyer with almost 10,000 posts (and some others here as well) as having a track record of good reputation and accurate posting. If you spend more time here you too will be able to distinguish those posters that contribute valuable and truthful informations and those that are full of it. Nobody is right all the time but track records here do count.

You accusations In this case are inaccurate and false.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

See the post just before yours. Like that and numerous other CC posts (as well as my own posts from early March) on this and related threads, there is ample evidence that folks are getting what is due to them. However, with almost 30,000 affected customers and O Staff working from home or otherwise limited, it is taking time.

I received the promised refunds and bonus FCCs for two affected cruises within a week of the cruise changes. And yes, they were in multiple payments across two credit cards over several days. 

FWIW, in every financial transaction I've ever had with Oceania where a question arose, I have received adequate and timely responses. 

Not my problem if you'd rather worry and be nasty than listen to the voice of experience.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

With all due respect, you are new to CC and to this forum with 40 posts.

Those of us that have been around for a very long time know FlatbushFlyer with almost 10,000 posts (and some others here as well) as having a track record of good reputation and accurate posting. If you spend more time here you too will be able to distinguish those posters that contribute valuable and truthful informations and those that are full of it. Nobody is right all the time but track records here do count.

You accusations In this case are inaccurate and false.

Paul, it's not what he says but how he says it...at times. I've learned a lot from him but when he gets all authoritarian it's a real turnoff. Like the below:

3 hours ago, clo said:
16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

So, I suggest that anyone now joining in the conversation first read through this and all other pertinent Oceania threads before asking the exact same question that has been posted over and over again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neliska said:

We didn't receive the US$300 pp for airfare cancellation in the refund but TA is going to be chasing this up.

I believe the wording  was  "Change fee"     at least for North America 

Maybe NZ  had different  rules on the flight fees?

49 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

See the post just before yours. Like that and numerous other CC posts (as well as my own posts from early March) on this and related threads, there is ample evidence that folks are getting what is due to them. However, with almost 30,000 affected customers and O Staff working from home or otherwise limited, it is taking time.

I received the promised refunds and bonus FCCs for two affected cruises within a week of the cruise changes. And yes, they were in multiple payments across two credit cards over several days. 

FWIW, in every financial transaction I've ever had with Oceania where a question arose, I have received adequate and timely responses. 

Not my problem if you'd rather worry and be nasty than listen to the voice of experience.

Experience: We don't have our ~$15,000 refund. 

Thank you to everyone who chipped in their opinion on the timing of my refund. I know there is no crystal ball but I am just seeking how other refunds have been handled.  Due to the crisis going on now my long time TA is no longer working and a new agent who I don’t know from Adam has been assigned and yes she too is working from home.  I am a little concerned because the comments I’ve read on these boards has referred several times to the possibility of NCL filing bankruptcy which would void all refunds.  I’m just hoping to get my refund before that might happen.  I did hear from my new TA today and she said Oceania has all the info from us needed to process our refund and we will just have to wait the 4-6 weeks.

20 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

Thank you to everyone who chipped in their opinion on the timing of my refund. I know there is no crystal ball but I am just seeking how other refunds have been handled.  Due to the crisis going on now my long time TA is no longer working and a new agent who I don’t know from Adam has been assigned and yes she too is working from home.  I am a little concerned because the comments I’ve read on these boards has referred several times to the possibility of NCL filing bankruptcy which would void all refunds.  I’m just hoping to get my refund before that might happen.  I did hear from my new TA today and she said Oceania has all the info from us needed to process our refund and we will just have to wait the 4-6 weeks.

Our TA says 90 days......not 4-6 weeks. I think that seems to be what most people are posting as well. 90 days.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

the possibility of NCL filing bankruptcy which would void all refunds.

I'm on another thread about airline cancellations which I can't find. Argh. But if an airline cancels a flight you're entitled to a refund even if they're in bankruptcy as long as they have assets. Try searching Department of Transportation refund for canceled cruise...or such.

I appreciate others who have posted their refund experience so far so here is mine:

Our April 1 cruise was cancelled on March 13 and we requested the 100% refund on March 15.

This morning my credit card account shows 2 refunds that total $725 less than what we paid. Hopefully the $725 shows up in another refund over the next week or so. The date on the refunds show as April 3 although they just showed up in our account this morning.

Also, we cancelled an excursion on Feb 28 and received a refund this morning for $31 less than what we paid. I know this refund is for the excursion since it was charged on a different credit card than the cruise itself.

I will also wait a while for the rest of the money to show up before inquiring about this one.

My guess is that the amounts yet to be refunded are the tax portion which may have to be refunded by a different department.