Murano first timer

DC1979

My first cruise with Celebrity is coming up shortly.  I have booked dinner at Murano for our first day on the ship.  Looking at the menu, I don’t eat beef..but the other options all look so good I don’t know what to pick!! I’m thinking either the Lobster, Duck or Venison.  Any recommendations/suggestions? And while we are at it, any must try appetizer or dessert?  I’d love to hear from the experts.  I’ve only booked the one night at Murano - I plan on eating at Luminae on the others days.  I will be on the Equinox if that makes a difference.  Thanks!! 

We ate at Murano 2x on our November 2018 cruise. It was amazing!  After getting a first night discount, we immediately booked the last night as a special treat to end the cruise.  My wife had the lobster both nights, and it was amazing!  It was prepared table side, over an open flame.  My sister-in-law had the veal, and I had Chateaubriand (but understand you don't eat beef).  What impressed us is that our waiter felt that the lobster portions being served were too small, so he put in an order for 2, even thought it was just my wife who ordered it.  How thoughtful!  The portion size was just right!!  The cheese platter was excellent.  I can't remember the deserts, but they were delicious as well.  You will not go wrong.  I have no reason to the think the duck or venison would be anything but amazing.  Going on the Reflection 2x in the next year and a half, so cannot wait to eat here again!

We ate there 3 nights on our last 7 night Equinox trip.  Ruling out the beef,  I'd consider the Rack of Lamb, the Lobster (I think they use the "this is small" line a lot!) and I believe the Dover Sole doesn't get the attention it deserves.  They will prepare that tableside as well and it is very impressive to see them filet it right there.  I'd go for a surf and turf of your liking.

Also agree with the Grand Marnier soufflé, but also consider the crepe's which are flambéed tableside and the I don't recall the name, but there was a "tasting" of sorts where 5-6 samplers came in tall shot glasses.  Get a lot of desserts and split them among the table, but get your own soufflé!

1 hour ago, DC1979 said:

My first cruise with Celebrity is coming up shortly.  I have booked dinner at Murano for our first day on the ship.  Looking at the menu, I don’t eat beef..but the other options all look so good I don’t know what to pick!! I’m thinking either the Lobster, Duck or Venison.  Any recommendations/suggestions? And while we are at it, any must try appetizer or dessert?  I’d love to hear from the experts.  I’ve only booked the one night at Murano - I plan on eating at Luminae on the others days.  I will be on the Equinox if that makes a difference.  Thanks!! 

You have made a good choice.  We are onboard now and ate there two nights ago.  I had the Maine lobster bisque, and Divesr Scallop Wellington as starters.  The lobster dish is very good and is prepared table side.  For dessert, I had the crepe Balon Rouge (strawberries, ice cream, etc.).   The gratuity was included and there was no need to sign a check as we had prepaid.  Enjoy.

I agree about the Lobster Murano and the Divers Scallop Wellington. The crepe Balon Rouge is also prepared tableside and is my favorite dessert, but a close second is the Grand Marnier Souffle. Enjoy yourselves, you've selected X's best specialty restaurant by a country mile IMHO!

The sole Veronique is wonderful and my favorite.  For starter, the salmon and crab parfait is good.   COnversely we have never had a good scallop wellington - it is all but impossible to cook well.  Either the scallop will be overcooked and the pastry perfect, or the scallop will be perfect and the pastry soggy.

Potato laced turbot is my favourite mains, starters I love the pork and the egg topped salad. For desert I am with Luvcrusn, the balon rouge or the Grand Marnier soufflé!

We dined in Murano’s several times last cruise. The service was fantastic and we asked the sommelier to pair our wines with our food choices. He did an excellent job and all within the premium package. 

Hope you have a fantastic meal and a wonderful cruise!

Edited by chemmo

8 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

They would be happy to serve you a surf and turf: lobster and Venison; but you could also have lobster with the rack of lamb.

That is exactly the kind of advice that "killed the golden goose".    

Edited by Jossie1960

Thanks all for your suggestions!! I have only cruised with Holland America in the past.  I love their specialty restaurants, but while you can order as many appetizers and desserts as you want, you can only order one entree.  As such, I didn’t realize I had the option to create a surf and turf. Sold!!! Maybe I’ll just tell them to bring one of every appetizer, my surf n turf selection and every dessert and just make my own little private buffet HAHAHAHA. (Yes I’m kidding. Kind of 😉)

My wife and I absolutely love Murano and have never had less then a great meal there.  It is the one specialty restaurant we feel is worth the splurge.   I agree with many of the dish choices already posted including the lobster, the goat cheese soufflé and the Grand Marnier soufflé.

Also, I was under the impression Murano was being phased out.  Is that correct?  I know they have unfortunately left it off the Edge class ships.

17 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

My wife and I absolutely love Murano and have never had less then a great meal there.  It is the one specialty restaurant we feel is worth the splurge.   I agree with many of the dish choices already posted including the lobster, the goat cheese soufflé and the Grand Marnier soufflé.

Also, I was under the impression Murano was being phased out.  Is that correct?  I know they have unfortunately left it off the Edge class ships.

They unfortunately, IMHO, removed from M-class ships. We no longer partake in specialty dining on those ships. I hope they will let it remain on S-class, otherwise we'll be skipping it altogether.  We don't think the others are worth the upcharges. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We enjoyed two dinners and a lunch in Murano on our recent Reflection sailing.  By far our favorite specialty restaurant.

The Dover Sole was outstanding as well as the lobster.  Be sure to pace yourself for dessert as we loved both the Souffle and Valrhona Cocoa Cake!

We aren't big dessert eaters so we typically order  three savory courses (two appetizers and a main), plus the cheese course. They will bring a cart and allow you to select whatever cheeses look good to you. On our last Silhouette sailing they had a wonderful selection; on previous sailings the assortment was less interesting, but still a nice substitute for dessert if you don't have a sweet tooth. The mignardises (bite sized chocolates and other sweets) are usually enjoyable and plenty of dessert for us.

10 hours ago, talljules1 said:

The sole Veronique is wonderful and my favorite.  For starter, the salmon and crab parfait is good.   COnversely we have never had a good scallop wellington - it is all but impossible to cook well.  Either the scallop will be overcooked and the pastry perfect, or the scallop will be perfect and the pastry soggy.

I agree 100% on the Sole Veronique  and Crab Parfait are two of my favorites.    The Lamb is also on the top of my list.   For desert I love the Strawberry and Ice Cream packaged inside crepes (forgot their name) - Prepared tableside with a flambe ending. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

For desert I love the Strawberry and Ice Cream packaged inside crepes (forgot their name) - Prepared tableside with a flambe ending. 

They are called Crepes Balon Rouge... and they are delish! 

4 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

So far I have neglected the specialty restaurants but reading about Murano... maybe I should go for it in May on Eclipse.

We ate in Murano on Eclipse twice on recommendation from someone we met on the ship. Those dinners were among the best we have ever had. The service and food were exceptional. Go and enjoy!

14 hours ago, DC1979 said:

Our must try dessert was the Crepe Balloon Rouge. Husband loved it!