Coronavirus

36 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I'm not sure of you get this. The idea behind "isolating everyone and shutting up shop" is not to stop the spread of the virus but to DELAY the spread thus giving more time for the scientists to develop a vaccine.

Also with the delay will come warmer weather in the UK and Europe which should also help stop the spread of the virus.

Slowing the numbers getting infected is also a measure to spread the numbers.  Rather than have an enormous peak in say, a month or so, hopefully if the numbers are kept at a lower level, albeit over a longer period, it gives the Health Service a chance of coping better.  

• Like 3

The advice to cruise passengers from the US Center for Disease Control is:

• Avoid contact with sick people.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
    • It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
  • Avoid traveling if you are sick.
  • If you get sick with fever or new or worsening cough or difficulty breathing during your cruise, stay in your cabin and notify the onboard medical center immediately.

So not a lot different to the usual sanitary precautions people should take but the bit about the type of sanitizer to use is interesting. Ordinary anti-bacterial hand gel is not good enough (although again, we probably knew that already).

Four weeks until we (supposedly) go to the Caribbean. I guess anything could happen between now and then.

1 hour ago, rkingphoto said:

Marella are cancelling cruises in the far east.  They are trying to arrange flights to get folk home.

Just to confirm, this is Discovery only and only the current cruise has been cancelled.  Can't see the next one not being cancelled though.

Thanks Dronnygirl KevinYork posted the link on another post but still puzzled as it says Celebrity cruises released the info (maybe it only meant their ships) and I can't find it anywhere else There are 6 ships in Dubai currently and 2 in Abu Dhabi

Will check UAE Gov website

2 hours ago, vwgolf said:

The advice to cruise passengers from the US Center for Disease Control is:

• Avoid contact with sick people.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
    • It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
  • Avoid traveling if you are sick.
  • If you get sick with fever or new or worsening cough or difficulty breathing during your cruise, stay in your cabin and notify the onboard medical center immediately.

So not a lot different to the usual sanitary precautions people should take but the bit about the type of sanitizer to use is interesting. Ordinary anti-bacterial hand gel is not good enough (although again, we probably knew that already).

Four weeks until we (supposedly) go to the Caribbean. I guess anything could happen between now and then.

I was recently on Regal for 2 weeks when we picked up passengers 2nd week people were coughing all over the place.I got influenza A,it was very bad I stayed in the cabin,I had brought meds with me for cough etc. til I could get off & go to emergency  care.I did not want to be put off the ship in Mexico.I had to get hotel in FL. as I was too sick to fly home.25 cruises & I never been sick .

Nothing on the UAE website only refusing entry to travellers from the obvious countries

Yes Dronnygirl It must be worrying for the crew and entertainment staff but surely TUI are insured for this very situation and hopefully continue to pay the crew etc. Let's hope it's not from the Welfare fund!!

TUI website still offering cruises from Dubai and Aqaba but not from Cochin so keeping our fingers crossed 🤞🏻

59 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Nothing on the UAE website only refusing entry to travellers from the obvious countries

Yes Dronnygirl It must be worrying for the crew and entertainment staff but surely TUI are insured for this very situation and hopefully continue to pay the crew etc. Let's hope it's not from the Welfare fund!!

TUI website still offering cruises from Dubai and Aqaba but not from Cochin so keeping our fingers crossed 🤞🏻

The crews salary is the responsibility of the management co (appollo) and not TUI , their employment contract is with them not TUI , unless there is something in the t & c's of their contract they should get paid for the duration of their contract , i'll ask some of my crew friends if they know of any get out clause if they have to stop work before end of contract.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:39 PM, Vitalsign said:

After today's news from Italy very doubtful TUI will sail Discovery 2 from Naples this summer It's only a few weeks away from the May start Surely they should be advising of changes now

Yes I agree that TUI should be advising people of any changes to embarkation port (Naples). We are due to fly to Naples on 20/05/20 for 2-wk cruise and not heard anything about a change of flight. Maybe they are hoping that within a month the virus will be gone???? No excursions showing for Naples, Livorno, Rome or Sardinia but there are some for Sicily. Cannot cancel as we have paid our balance but will not be booking any excursions at this moment in time. If they change the port of embarkation will they offer a refund or is this classed as a "small" change. Discovery 2 is in the Caribbean at the moment so should be virus free (hopefully) and is due to arrive in Naples on her re positioning cruise on 06/05/20. 

In the case of the Naples based cruises I think TUI simply don't know what will happen.  They could change base now and let everyone know then the new base gets caught up in the crisis.  It's also possible that Naples will be fine by May.   It's also possible that by May it's so bad in the UK that passengers themselves from the UK won't be allowed to board.

I know it's difficult but people will simply have to be patient.

• Like 1

Interesting comments on here and other boards.

We are due to cruise being of June from Corfu on Explorer with a stop in Venice. Specifically picked this one as we wanted to cruise in/out of Venice, don't think that will be happening now. Cest la vie.

Agree with earlier comment that TUI wont be publishing any decisions before the end of March (or even in the last 5 mins) when a number of ships start their summer in the Med, but noticeable that the likes of RCI, Celebrity etc have already changed their refund policies and that the US Gov have recommended not to cruise. That's going to be a big hit to the cruise companies.

Came across this link in another forum that throws some light on the world wide numbers of people effected, but interesting also shows the number that have recovered, something that had very little reporting, but GOOD news does not sell!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Just have to wait and see what TUI decide and take it from there.

Edited by Essex_uk

All of Italy will be placed under the lockdown conditions thus far imposed upon the so-called “red zone” in the north of the country, the Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has said.

The restrictions will include banning all public gatherings and preventing all movement other than for work and emergencies. 

27 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Don't think so with the latest news on Italy, restrictions now nation wide. 

It does seem unlikely now that if Marella are running Med cruises in the summer that any of them will be starting anywhere in Italy.

We are on the repositioning cruise for Discovery 2, from Jamaica to Naples.

Will be interesting where this goes or if it goes as Marella can’t really leave the ship out in the Caribbean.

Edited by MX-Drew

17 minutes ago, Essex_uk said:

I wonder why they have two virus posts on that update?  The most recent one is worded strange “Customers travelling to Marella Explorer, Marella Explorer 2, Marella Celebration, Marella Dream and Marella Discovery 2 will be denied boarding if they have visited any of the above listed countries in the previous 30 days.”

Why is discovery not in that list?  The sailings from early April ex Dubai are still said to be going ahead though I can’t see how.

I woke up with a thought today.  Tui have been leaving things late to cancel the Asia and Indian Ocean cruises. Wouldn’t they benefit from the FCO advising against cruising or a travel ban for the UK as then people would have to claim off their own insurance rather than Tui refunding? Just a thought. 

Kevin York...I don’t think it makes any difference. If TUI cancel now or after FCO advising against all but essential travel, they still have to offer credit or refund. I expect they are waiting as it is possible Italy might lift the restrictions after the initial lockdown, and then cruises could leave from Italian ports.